Video: Broaddus on Relationship Between Dan Quinn/Will McClay/Kellen Moore

Motorola

Reaction score
I just think Kellen was way too green to be a coach in the NFL period. Maybe a HS or small College coach. Was just a wonder boy that Jerry anointed way too early.
Will see how Moore does in his new job, especially when the Cowboys go out west to play the Chargers this upcoming season.

T-RO

Reaction score
There's a reason Kellen Moore is gone.
For sure. KM's coaching chops rose too high to stay tethered to a good-not-great QB, and work under dysfunctional Fat "Gimme another Massage" Mike.

Angels from God took him to the Bolt to work w/Herbert.

T-RO

Reaction score
The offense has been anaemic the second half of every season under Kellen Moore. It seems to come out fire and we look amazing, but by mid-season opposition DQ’s have figured it out.
What planet are you living on?

Dallas scoring
23 points a game in the first half of the 2023 season
40 points a game* in the second half of the 2023 season

*When you discount the last meaningless game when we pulled starters. If you include that last meaningless game: 36 points a game

DanA

Reaction score

Dallas scoring

*When you discount the last meaningless game when we pulled starters. If you include that last meaningless game: 36 points a game
Yeah 2023 is obviously different because of Dak’s injury. Break all seasons down to games with one QB as it fundamentally changes the approach.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I love DQ but this offense is anemic since the second half of last year, a nice pickup with the WR from Houston, hope that works. This team advances if the offense gets rolling, but that is going to take a passing game that deserves respect from opposing defenses. All of our Division opponents are stacked on the DL and frankly, we are not that strong with our Oline, TSmith in his second year needs to make a big jump in order for some continuity to happen. Who is our LG? Do not get confused, Philly, NY, and Washington are going to amp up against our OLine. Probably the Rookie defensive player of the year drafted by the Eagles. We got Luke a jack-of-all-trades TE. Training camp is going to be very telling. I am still smiling that we were able to draft Deuce.
Elliott was a big reason the offense was anemic. If they stopped giving the ball to Elliott, I'm sure they would have scored 50 ppg in the last half of the season instead of only about 40 ppg.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
KM must be doing something right, he keeps getting interviews to be a HC. Hot name for a while. But im glad hes gone, time for a new O to come in
Yeah but typically he never gets the job. That says more than him getting interviews….I think Jerry is the only one who’s hire him as a head coach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Dallas scoring

He’s right though granted you aren’t going to put up 40 a game all the time but there are always these weird games where we can’t do anything…..not even saying it’s a Kellen issue I’m not entirely sure but two years ago it was the Chiefs and Broncos games.

Seems like last season it was Titans, Commanders and Texans. Just weird.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Elliott was a big reason the offense was anemic. If they stopped giving the ball to Elliott, I'm sure they would have scored 50 ppg in the last half of the season instead of only about 40 ppg.
You say that but there were numerous times Zeke saved Daks *** with a key block to keep drives going. Zeke wasn’t completely useless let’s not do that.

Ken

Reaction score
Great info but I’ll be honest..thought Quinn had a little too much sway this last weekend. “Quinn is in the room” was a common phrase like he was holding court. I think this team just runs things weirdly at times. He’s a great coordinator but could be his own worst enemy as HC so let’s not treat him as such.
Ya I kind of felt the same but watching how they came to the decision on Mazi...Quinn had nothing to do with the decision at the time they were deciding. All we on the same page.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
So....when this offense struggles...who you going to blame?

McCarthy
Prescott
Quinn for hogging all the draft picks?

It's hilarious people still blaming Kellen...when all he did was deliver the #1 offense on a budget...and broken players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
For sure. KM's coaching chops rose too high to stay tethered to a good-not-great QB, and work under dysfunctional Fat "Gimme another Massage" Mike.

Angels from God took him to the Bolt to work w/Herbert.
You should follow KM and stay over there and worship him and Herbert all you want.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And there's also a reason he had another job in, what, a couple of days?

Quinn's additional attention is admirable, but I won't hate on a guy who says "get me the best fit for this team and I'll work with it". His job is to coach, not tell the scouts who to pick. In fact, at the age of 34 years old, telling the scouting team who to draft probably wouldn't have gone over well. You have guys who were scouting when Moore was in middle school, and some likely when he was in grade school. DQ has been a collegiate or professional coach almost as long as Kellen has been alive.

I don't think it's about approach, I think it's about knowing the situation and circumstances. Being a super-young coach in the NFL can't be easy because you're younger than some of the guys you are coaching and likely have far less game experience than anyone on the roster who isn't a rookie. There's almost 20 years difference between the 2, and nearly all 20 years are collegiate or professional experience. Nearly 30 years of coaching experience at both levels buys you a little freedom to say, "I want this guy".

I think Kellen did fine at times, but at other times he was trying a bit too much. I wish him well and think he will improve as he gains experience. Unfortunately, Dallas doesn't have the time for another 10 years of OTJ training like they wasted on Jason Garrett.
True, but if true, it shows KM's lack of cajones. Hey, you were the O-Coordinator for several years. You should have had a huge input in which type of players you would have liked for your system. If you didn't speak up because of your young age and lack of experience at the position, that falls squarely on you and shows you weren't ready to be an O-Coordinator.

DanA

Reaction score
Ya I kind of felt the same but watching how they came to the decision on Mazi...Quinn had nothing to do with the decision at the time they were deciding. All we on the same page.
That assumes the decision we made then and that he hadn’t been in McClay’s ear earlier in the day.

How many times have you gone to a meeting and thought where’s this really coming from because the decision was made sometime earlier. It’s happened to me countless times, and sometimes it’s been me that tipped the scale before hand.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
There's a reason Kellen Moore is gone.

I like Dan Quinn's approach to everything he does.
Moore learned from Garrett.

"You're strength is throwing on the run and escaping the pocket? OK. We're making you a pocket passer"

"your strength is cutting finding the hole and exploding? Ok. Add 10 lbs and we are going to run you out of the shotgun into the heart of the defense"

It has always boggled my mind that this coaching staff under Garrett refused to cater the game plan, scheme, or draft to what they needed. It was so arrogant of that coaching staff and cost us multiple times.

Ken

Reaction score
That assumes the decision we made then and that he hadn’t been in McClay’s ear earlier in the day.

How many times have you gone to a meeting and thought where’s this really coming from because the decision was made sometime earlier. It’s happened to me countless times, and sometimes it’s been me that tipped the scale before hand.
I mean, he clearly has influence but, ultimately, he didn't have an actual say when it came down to decision time.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
KM must be doing something right, he keeps getting interviews to be a HC. Hot name for a while. But im glad hes gone, time for a new O to come in
I like Kellen Moore and didn't want him gone but as an after thought now I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a new team and also what we can do going forward here in Dallas. He is green and I agree he was given the reigns too early. Some things he did well but had glaring weaknesses in other areas throuout his tenure. I wish him all the best.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but if true, it shows KM's lack of cajones. Hey, you were the O-Coordinator for several years. You should have had a huge input in which type of players you would have liked for your system. If you didn't speak up because of your young age and lack of experience at the position, that falls squarely on you and shows you weren't ready to be an O-Coordinator.
Not if he works for a follow the ball owner who thinks he knows more than the coaches. Booger has listened to his DC's before, remember Marinelli with Charleton and Hill?

I think Booger stays out of the D's way and spends all his fun time with the offensive side of it and his stars.

The value of Kellen Moore to the offense is really unknown unless you use stats and rankings. But his absence might be revealing and if McC really wants to run the ball more than Moore did, that could backfire.

And as I have noted before, this board faults coaching more than execution except when it comes to the QB. And he gets faulted for everything by some.

I also think Moore was frustrated because of the Joneses involvement with the offense regarding their 40M QB and 15M RB. The reason a relatively inexperienced OC was there in the first place was the same reason they hired Garrett, control.

The relationship between Moore and Prescott seemed to be a solid one, better than McC's relationship with his QB's in GB. Then again, the GM did use 1st round picks on QB's while they were still in the saddle so most of that might not have been his fault.

There is a long history of a chasm between GM's and coaches, Parcells and Young, Harbaugh and anybody else and I don't know how comfortable any coach, not a HC, is with voicing opinions about talent around the GM. Can't use the Cowboys as a template because it's run different than any sports franchise on the planet.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I see no reason to bash KM, I feel he did a good job at times while he was here.

I had a problem with some of the timing of his play calls, especially during the playoffs.

garyv

Reaction score
I think there's some things that Kellen did well building on what he learned under Garrett and Linehan. I think like a lot of young coordinators there are also some things he needs to learn to make his system more effective against the better defenses. I expect him to do well in LA. How well will likely depend on how much he grows. He has some good offensive pieces.

Not sure if we will improve under McCarthy, but he's got some pretty good skins on the wall as a coordinator and coach. If we think that Kellen is an up-and-comer, well, that was McCarthy at one point. I do look forward to getting further away from the Garrett scheme/philosophy. I truly believe that Garrett held the team back with his lack of creativity and belief in outexecuting instead of outfoxing defenses.
I'm looking forward to McCarthy calling plays and moving on from Kellen\Garrett and etc. for better or worse.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Some people will just seek out the negative in everything. It was McClay who fought for Mazi at #26. He’s the de facto GM and has been around this organization way longer than DQ. DQ isn’t forcing him to do anything.