Video: Broaddus on Relationship Between Dan Quinn/Will McClay/Kellen Moore

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff, here are footnotes:

-Talks about how really close DQ and Will McClay are and how Quinn is super into rolling up his sleeves and hitting the road with scouts to see players up close and personal.

-DQ has taken a large role in involving himself with making sure he conveys and studies the exact guys he wants on his defense. Phrase Broaddus used was “taking ownership over his defense”.

-Kellen was (likely due to his youth) more passive about the scouting and pining for players. More “give me the guys you think we need and I’ll coach them” than “I need this guy”.

*Personal opinion* both philosophies can be right and both can be wrong depending on who’s the guy doing the coaching. I do personally think Moore seemed to force his philosophy on whomever was on the roster with Quinn seeming to have roles carved out to take advantage of guy’s strengths.

Now that could be because of their philosophies in the draft or it could be due to the experience gap. Interesting regardless.

Starts at approximately the 2:40 mark:

Interesting. Quinn has a system and he doesn't force it on a player, as opposed to finding guys that fit it. Kind of finding the roundnpeg for his round hole.

Moore was more fit the square peg in the round hole. Given his youth and lacknof experience he was more theoretical in his philosophy than practical. If it works on paper it must translate to the field approach.

I said this about Moore since the day he wasnpromoted. He was green. I don't care how good you are, you have to earn your steipes in NFL and it takes years. Wenpaid a price with him. He improved but still was making some very fundamental mistakes.

conner01

Reaction score
My only concern with Quinn being involved in the draft process is Atlanta didn't do a great job drafting while he was the head coach there. As long as his input is tempered by the scouting department, though, I don't have a problem with it. But we don't need McClay buddying up to him to the point where, for example, he might recommend taking a DT in the first round over a G because of the relationship. We need the scouts to be objective.
Did he get to make decisions in Atlanta?

conner01

Reaction score
Interesting. Quinn has a system and he doesn't force it on a player, as opposed to finding guys that fit it. Kind of finding the roundnpeg for his round hole.

Moore was more fit the square peg in the round hole. Given his youth and lacknof experience he was more theoretical in his philosophy than practical. If it works on paper it must translate to the field approach.

I said this about Moore since the day he wasnpromoted. He was green. I don't care how good you are, you have to earn your steipes in NFL and it takes years. Wenpaid a price with him. He improved but still was making some very fundamental mistakes.
Most OC or DC aren’t scouts and know little about scouting. Quinn has been around much longer and he has particular traits he likes
One thing I love about Quinn is he’s really good at figuring out what a guy does best and puts him in position to succeed

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did he get to make decisions in Atlanta?
Not sure to what extent. This is from when he was hired:

Blank implied that Quinn would have control of the Falcons' 53-man roster when asked about Julio Jones getting a long-term contract.
The Falcons were prohibited from agreeing to a contract with Dan Quinn until after the Seahawks finished competing in Sunday's Super Bowl. AP Photo/Ted S. Warren
"I think it's a decision that the head coach will look at the talent on the roster," Blank told ESPN.com. "Julio's been a great player for us and a great talent, and he represents us on the field and off the field as well as anybody else. As the owner, it's not my decision to make. The new coach will spend a great deal of time assessing the roster and all of our players, and obviously Julio is a critical one."
Quinn will have the challenge of adjusting to his new role as a first-time head coach. The Falcons went the same direction with their previous coach when Mike Smith was hired in 2008 following a five-year stint as the Jacksonville Jaguars' defensive coordinator. Smith went on to be the winningest coach in Falcons history (66-46) before being fired after a 6-10 finish this season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most OC or DC aren’t scouts and know little about scouting. Quinn has been around much longer and he has particular traits he likes
One thing I love about Quinn is he’s really good at figuring out what a guy does best and puts him in position to succeed
quinn although has a philosophy, he changes it based on available personnel. he certainly strives to get the players that will fit into his ultimate system.

Moore as I said, was more a square peg in a round hole type of approach. if it works on paper, it must work in a game. far from reality of how it works.

lkelly

Reaction score
Kellen would have been a fanatical scout in the leather helmet days.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And there’s a reason the Chargers grabbed him right away. Somebody will be proven right and it won’t take long to find out.
I think there's some things that Kellen did well building on what he learned under Garrett and Linehan. I think like a lot of young coordinators there are also some things he needs to learn to make his system more effective against the better defenses. I expect him to do well in LA. How well will likely depend on how much he grows. He has some good offensive pieces.

Not sure if we will improve under McCarthy, but he's got some pretty good skins on the wall as a coordinator and coach. If we think that Kellen is an up-and-comer, well, that was McCarthy at one point. I do look forward to getting further away from the Garrett scheme/philosophy. I truly believe that Garrett held the team back with his lack of creativity and belief in outexecuting instead of outfoxing defenses.

quickccc

Reaction score
i like that Quinn is more involved in one on one private working out possible prospects .. but i do not want him nor any other coaches whispering and urgingly influencing McClay into
Tacos and Nashon Wrights in the early rounds - ...reaches

Let McClay be McClay and draft players in accordingly to the value of his draft board.

Let McClay decide what rounds these players that the coaches want so badly ...need to be drafted in ..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff, here are footnotes:

-Talks about how really close DQ and Will McClay are and how Quinn is super into rolling up his sleeves and hitting the road with scouts to see players up close and personal.

-DQ has taken a large role in involving himself with making sure he conveys and studies the exact guys he wants on his defense. Phrase Broaddus used was “taking ownership over his defense”.

-Kellen was (likely due to his youth) more passive about the scouting and pining for players. More “give me the guys you think we need and I’ll coach them” than “I need this guy”.

*Personal opinion* both philosophies can be right and both can be wrong depending on who’s the guy doing the coaching. I do personally think Moore seemed to force his philosophy on whomever was on the roster with Quinn seeming to have roles carved out to take advantage of guy’s strengths.

Now that could be because of their philosophies in the draft or it could be due to the experience gap. Interesting regardless.

Starts at approximately the 2:40 mark:

Difference between a great coach and an average one. Garrett

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
i like that Quinn is more involved in one on one private working out possible prospects .. but i do not want him nor any other coaches whispering and urgingly influencing McClay into
Tacos and Nashon Wrights in the early rounds - ...reaches

Let McClay be McClay and draft players in accordingly to the value of his draft board.

Let McClay decide what rounds these players that the coaches want so badly ...need to be drafted in ..
Mclay must be told scheme and traits. Football 101

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dan has coached long enough to know what he wants a d what he can do with different skill sets. Km doesn't have that knowledge from experience working with hundreds of different guys. Km is too green but he'll get there but for now he should rely on scouts more.

coult44

Reaction score
I tell y’all one thing. Big Mike better go to the Super Bowl this year, or get very close to it with a good reason he didn’t. Because if he don’t Dan Quinn is the next HC of the Dallas Cowboys.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There's a reason Kellen Moore is gone.

I like Dan Quinn's approach to everything he does.
And there's also a reason he had another job in, what, a couple of days?

Quinn's additional attention is admirable, but I won't hate on a guy who says "get me the best fit for this team and I'll work with it". His job is to coach, not tell the scouts who to pick. In fact, at the age of 34 years old, telling the scouting team who to draft probably wouldn't have gone over well. You have guys who were scouting when Moore was in middle school, and some likely when he was in grade school. DQ has been a collegiate or professional coach almost as long as Kellen has been alive.

I don't think it's about approach, I think it's about knowing the situation and circumstances. Being a super-young coach in the NFL can't be easy because you're younger than some of the guys you are coaching and likely have far less game experience than anyone on the roster who isn't a rookie. There's almost 20 years difference between the 2, and nearly all 20 years are collegiate or professional experience. Nearly 30 years of coaching experience at both levels buys you a little freedom to say, "I want this guy".

I think Kellen did fine at times, but at other times he was trying a bit too much. I wish him well and think he will improve as he gains experience. Unfortunately, Dallas doesn't have the time for another 10 years of OTJ training like they wasted on Jason Garrett.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Winning football games is not the same thing as building a team.
It's how much you can do *in the schemes and roles given* that matters.
Getting scouting on the same page with the coordinators is good. None of this "through my notes over the cubical wall" stuff. Work *together* to evaluate.

plasticman

Reaction score
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." - Tom Landry

Tom Landry designed his 4-3 "Flex" defense so that he didn't necessarily need superior players at every position, just capable smart defenders that could read a key and react appropriately. He was intelligent enough to realize that the reality of winning meant the team drafted in the lower quarter every season, save for some draft choices they picked up via trades.

The Cowboys were rarely given the opportunity to add "blue chip" players in the top of the first round, or any round for that matter.

Each position required specific attributes that were not always related to athletic ability. I would say his #1 requirement from all defenders would be discipline. That is, the discipline to do other than what a player would instinctively do in a particular situation. He knew that it was the goal of every opponent offense to deceive defenses and take advantage of their errors. So long as players followed their keys, they could not be fooled.

Landry did not believe in building around specific players on defense because he knew that NFL careers were fleeting. What do you do after that player leaves the game? You may not have a high draft pick to throw in there for some time.

Landry and Schram were on the same page and would normally draft players to fit that defensive scheme. It was the reason there were so many Cowboys defenders that were either drafted in much lower rounds or not drafted at all.

Longtime Cowboys starters and eventual SB participants included D.D. Lewis, George Andrie and Pat Toomay, all 6th round picks. They also included Jethro Pugh (11th round), Mark Washington (13th round) and Larry Cole (16th round). Starting OLB Dave Edwards was drafted in the 25th round of the AFL draft by the Broncos.

Undrafted free agent rookies included perennial Pro Bowlers Cliff Harris and Cornell Green.

Landry's system was so successful he started two undrafted rookies (Everson Walls and Michael Downs) and a former11th round pick (Dennis Thurman) in his starting defensive backfield in 1981 and they set a team record for INT's in a season, still ranked 3rd in NFL history.

There were high draft picks in some area to be sure. The flex defense needed physically talented guys in the middle of front seven , particularly at DT and MLB. Those included high draft picks like Bob Lilly, Randy White, John Dutton, Lee Roy Jordan and Ken Norton Jr. However, the majority of the defense was plug and play so long as the player was disciplined enough to do what Landry required of them.

Although there were some high picks that couldn't do things the Landry way, the majority of the players recognized that it was difficult to criticize Landry's defense based on it's success. When the Cowboys whiffed on a draft pick, it wasn't because they misevaluated their level of talent, it was because that players lacked the will to adjust to Landry's system. However, for every top pick that didn't make it, there was a group of lower picks or UDFA's that were happy to comply.

From 1964 to 1978, 15 consecutive seasons, the Cowboys defense was ranked top ten every season in both yards and preventing points. In fact, they were never ranked lower than 7th in yardage out of 26 to 28 teams in the league.

Dan Quinn understands the benefits of acquiring players to fit his specific scheme rather than constantly redesigning his defense to fit the skills of those presently on his defense. He realizes that one of the most underestimated positions requiring physical talent is DT.

Guys like Mazi Smith will rarely make the highlight reels. However, when you watch the players that do, you might notice Mazi paving the way.

Kellen Moore was busy trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

DanA

Reaction score
I love DQ but this offense is anemic since the second half of last year, a nice pickup with the WR from Houston, hope that works. This team advances if the offense gets rolling, but that is going to take a passing game that deserves respect from opposing defenses. All of our Division opponents are stacked on the DL and frankly, we are not that strong with our Oline, TSmith in his second year needs to make a big jump in order for some continuity to happen. Who is our LG? Do not get confused, Philly, NY, and Washington are going to amp up against our OLine. Probably the Rookie defensive player of the year drafted by the Eagles. We got Luke a jack-of-all-trades TE. Training camp is going to be very telling. I am still smiling that we were able to draft Deuce.
The offense has been anaemic the second half of every season under Kellen Moore. It seems to come out fire and we look amazing, but by mid-season opposition DQ’s have figured it out.