News: Broaddus: Scout's Notebook Day 1

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hill was like 5 picks away from being a 3rd round pick, so I'm willing to give him a lot more leeway than I gave Taco. And I haven't totally given up on Taco.

Maybe by day 4 Hill will show something.
What's wrong with Day 1?

I liked what I saw from Trysten Hill playing as the under tackle. I have to be honest, there were practices during the OTAs and minicamp where I didn’t feel that was the case. His quickness and knee bend were clearly better than what I had previously observed. There were far too many snaps where he was tall and easily moved out of the play. He was able to stand in there better, even going against Zack Martin. There is a long way to go here but Hill played more like the guy I saw at Central Florida with that movement. He did leave practice early with some cramps, but hopefully that’s not too serious.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If we had never cut Dez, he'd be out there catching those 50/50 balls and be our best WR.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin needs lots of PT. I want him and Dak to develop long term chemistry.

I don't get good vibes about Hill. I worried they made another weak mental eval à la Taco Charlton.
We'll see how he turns out, but Hill is nothing like Charlton. Charlton was a one-year wonder as a senior and had poor combine numbers. He was always a terrible 1st-round pick and a likely bust.

Hill was productive for two seasons despite his issues with the coaching staff, had a good combine, and of course was taken a round later.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I did. Sounded like all of his articles. Typical jargon and analysis that 90 pct of the posters here could provide.
Well if Broaddus sooo horrible, why would you read it and then bash the guy?
Kind of hypocritical.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Good to hear about Jarwin. Didn't the Eagles try to take him from the Cowboy practice squad? Or am I thinking of someone else?

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Some good stuff from Broaddus.
Some real football stuff. Hopefully these reports start filling up the front page and we can get away from the other stuff.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-notebook-who-lined-up-where-on-day-1
Broaddus gives some good reports. I'm with you, I don't mind talking contracts but I'm ready for the season. Not a whole lot to takeaway yet. I like seeing who is on the 1st/2nd/3rd string. Glad to have Travis back. Monday will be big for him. It would be awesome if Blake Jarwin develops into a weapon. I like what the Rams did with their two TE's. They weren't the focal point of their offense but were reliable. I'm hoping Witten/Jarwin can do that.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Jarwin needs lots of PT. I want him and Dak to develop long term chemistry.

I don't get good vibes about Hill. I worried they made another weak mental eval à la Taco Charlton.
Agree with Jarwin. I didn't like the Hill pick. I'm not a fan of DT's but we will see. Hot Rod really loves him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Broaddus, whether you like it or not made a living scouting and now reports things from the Cowboys. If you don't like him, don't subscribe. He's closer than any of us.

I make a fine living. No desire to be a Cowboys media personality. I used to like him but have soured on him as he has become an arrogant buffoon. Sorry that upsets you.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think one of the most intriguing things BB mentioned, and something I've been waiting to see is how Moore changes things up.
Movement pre-snap to fool the defense or camouflage a play is huge.

In college, he ran a scheme that brought a random left tackle split wide left to just toy and confuse the defense.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I make a fine living. No desire to be a Cowboys media personality. I used to like him but have soured on him as he has become an arrogant buffoon. Sorry that upsets you.
Sorry you think you upset me.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have said before I am great full to JW for his years of great service. But his final season he struggled to do any of the things you mentioned.
he had 63 receptions for 560 about 9 ypc….. that's the type of output I expect from him. he doesn't have the speed, but was effective in those intermediate TE routes....and dont' forget 2017, we lost zeke, we lost smith, Dak struggled which impacted all the recievers....I think he is going to share time with other TE...if he gives us about 3-4 catches a game for average of 40 yards...that's plenty for other teams to think about