Video: Broaddus: The Cowboys stole one with Damone Clark

Majic

Reaction score
The following are Barr's percentage of snaps played per game this season.
- Does it appear that he'll be healthy scratch anytime soon?
- Barr has been just ok, but Dan Quinn appears to like having him on the field.

G# …. Pct
1 …... 56%
2 …... 87%
3 …... 61%
4 …... 70%

I agree, was very surprised at what he said. From what I've seen I thought Barr has played well in 2 of the 4 games

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea how good he is. I heard from a lot of folks that Jabril Cox was going to be good. It looks like he's had trouble getting on the field. that said, I absolutely haven't written him off. But, I'm wondering if Clark can actually be a solid player. Are there any of you with a dissenting opinion?

I want to buy in.
I’ll put it this way:

I really didn’t want the Cowboys to draft Cox, primarily because I felt he was really lacking in toughness and ability in the run game. He was and always has been good as a coverage LB… but not the run game.

Now I didn’t want Cox here because people were talking about Dallas using a second round pick on him, which seemed crazy to me. However, when he fell to the 4th round, that seemed about right to me for a guy that you really only wanted to use in coverage. So I was onboard with Jabril at that point.

Clark is a completely different story. That guy is tough, athletic, and explosive on contact. I liked him from the start. I liked him better than every LB except Lloyd. He brings a tough guy to the defense, who runs better than most guys and just flys around. He’s a well rounded game that could see him on the field on all three downs.

I wasn’t really looking at an early round LB in this past draft, so I didn’t spend much time looking at how Dallas might could get Clark but I did expect him to go early.

Clark and Cox are completely different players with completely different values to the team. Cox was drafted because Quinn wasn’t sure what he had LB wise for his nickel / dime packages. Had Quinn known that he would have Kearse and Wilson to play as nickel LB, I don’t think he would’ve taken Cox because he’s not going to be an adequate replacement for LVE (or Barr) on a full time basis.

Clark absolutely could replace either of those guys. He’s a very good, well rounded player who, IMO provides better speed, athleticism and toughness than either Barr or LVE. If Clark is right physically, I think there’s no way that he won’t start getting plays and will take more and more time away from LVE / Barr… both of who I view as not as good as Clark.

I am fired up about adding him to the already very good defense. Hopefully, by the last quarter of the season he can be playing a lot… because he’ll help for sure. He has the movement skills to help get out to the edge in the run game better than either of the two guys there now.

That’s my take on Clark.

ESisback

Reaction score
Have been excited about this pic since draft day. Super happy to hear he's way ahead of schedule to return. The dude is a baller who will make this swarming defense even better. LVE, Barr and Cox are all on notice, their jobs are on the line because he's taking one of them, soon.

IMO, it’ll be LVE (who fans have been SCREAMING about for two years) or Barr (who’s on a 1 year rental). I suspect they’ll give Cox another year.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Clark’s herniated disc was very similar to the injury suffered by Cowboys linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. After the 2019 season, Vander Esch underwent the same fusion surgery Clark had. Vander Esch’s comeback- the only missed time he’s missed since was for an unrelated broken clavicle- helped boost Clark’s confidence for his own return.\\

Cowboys doctor discovered rookie LB Damone Clark’s injury (usatoday.com)

After the surgery LVE became Bobby Carpenter. Hopefully, it's not the same with Clark.

After the surgery LVE became Karen Carpenter.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Toro9

Reaction score
Y'all know he's not a scout anymore, right?

Not saying Clark won't be good. I'm saying Broaddus missed on a lot of players

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
"You can play this guy anywhere."

Listen to the 10:20 to 15:30 mark of the video and then go unfollow Micah Parsons on all social media.

They said all the same crap about Jaylon. I will wait and see.

Scotman

Reaction score
I’ll put it this way:

I really didn’t want the Cowboys to draft Cox, primarily because I felt he was really lacking in toughness and ability in the run game. He was and always has been good as a coverage LB… but not the run game.

Now I didn’t want Cox here because people were talking about Dallas using a second round pick on him, which seemed crazy to me. However, when he fell to the 4th round, that seemed about right to me for a guy that you really only wanted to use in coverage. So I was onboard with Jabril at that point.

Clark is a completely different story. That guy is tough, athletic, and explosive on contact. I liked him from the start. I liked him better than every LB except Lloyd. He brings a tough guy to the defense, who runs better than most guys and just flys around. He’s a well rounded game that could see him on the field on all three downs.

I wasn’t really looking at an early round LB in this past draft, so I didn’t spend much time looking at how Dallas might could get Clark but I did expect him to go early.

Clark and Cox are completely different players with completely different values to the team. Cox was drafted because Quinn wasn’t sure what he had LB wise for his nickel / dime packages. Had Quinn known that he would have Kearse and Wilson to play as nickel LB, I don’t think he would’ve taken Cox because he’s not going to be an adequate replacement for LVE (or Barr) on a full time basis.

Clark absolutely could replace either of those guys. He’s a very good, well rounded player who, IMO provides better speed, athleticism and toughness than either Barr or LVE. If Clark is right physically, I think there’s no way that he won’t start getting plays and will take more and more time away from LVE / Barr… both of who I view as not as good as Clark.

I am fired up about adding him to the already very good defense. Hopefully, by the last quarter of the season he can be playing a lot… because he’ll help for sure. He has the movement skills to help get out to the edge in the run game better than either of the two guys there now.

That’s my take on Clark.
Fantastic write-up. I genuinely appreciate it. Both of the responses I've had explain it perfectly. I understand, as far as we can know, what to be looking for from each of them.

Thanks so much.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
His film isn't that great. He may turn into something but the tape doesn't show it

Read the 3rd comment in this video about Clark. It's exactly what I saw too. Not really aggressive. Lot of lung tackles. Seem to read and react late and doesn't have a great burst.

RS12

Reaction score
I liked him better than every LB except Lloyd.
Well if he is anywhere near as good as Lloyd he will be a nice addition. Right now Lloyd is being talked about as a rookie of the year candidate, and a big reason for the defensive turn around in JVille.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
My goodness, I admit I've never seen him play but keep reading/hearing how good he is. Is he really that good?

Edit..... This helps, seems like a good kid with his head in the right places

Without his injury he was expected to go between the 3rd and 4th round. Some had him in the 5th.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Read the 3rd comment in this video about Clark. It's exactly what I saw too. Not really aggressive. Lot of lung tackles. Seem to read and react late and doesn't have a great burst.

I don't need to say anymore. But I'll also say his play diagnosis doesn't look special either. They say he's always at the facility so if he changes that the hype will be justified. Him being a pretty good athlete isn't enough

Praxit

Reaction score
He was electric in college. If he can come back and stay healthy, he could be that Polamalu-type roamer who just makes plays. Pair him beside Micah, and wow!
..we could use a Polamalu anytime.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, was very surprised at what he said. From what I've seen I thought Barr has played well in 2 of the 4 games
I could see the possibility of Barr getting less snaps, but going from between 56% to 87% to being inactive is just an example of Broaddus and his moronic logic.

bigE79

Reaction score
I'm happy with LVE. Slow and can't move his head but he can tackle a guy 8 yards down field.
He hung around jaylon too long,lve's rookie year,he was a tackling beast,not no more,just a soft player now,let's the play come to him instead of attacking.