Video: Broaddus: There's a divide in the Cowboys war room about Surtain and Horn

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Podcast w Lindsay Rhodes...very unlikely Dane is wrong about what scheme Horn fits and doesn't fit

Why would you say this and do you have a link for that?

According to what is being reported in this thread, the Coaching Staff thinks Horn is the better fit. How in the world are you going to argue that Brugler is going to know better who fits Quinn's scheme, then does Quinn? How does that make any sense at all?

Brugler is not a Football guy. Brugler knows a lot of Football guys and he gets his info from people who are around Football but he's not a Coach or a personnel guy He's not a better judge of what Quinn needs out of his personnel. Nobody is..........

CWR

Reaction score
be smart here. if you go down a couple of picks and still get horn. do it.

That's a big if too. Most mocks have Horn going soon after Surtain. I guess we could look at Parsons if that happens or drop down further for Collins or the safety.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Everyone ripping the cowboys for not getting it right. Taking taco over watt was obviously a poor decision. But that happens to every organization.

on the flip side I remember when a lot of cowboys fans wanted Sean Merriman and were pissed when we took ware.

it’s all a crapshoot. I’ll take either guy. We need a cb.

JBS

Reaction score
Why would you say this and do you have a link for that?

According to what is being reported in this thread, the Coaching Staff thinks Horn is the better fit. How in the world are you going to argue that Brugler is going to know better who fits Quinn's scheme, then does Quinn? How does that make any sense at all?

Brugler is not a Football guy. Brugler knows a lot of Football guys and he gets his info from people who are around Football but he's not a Coach or a personnel guy He's not a better judge of what Quinn needs out of his personnel. Nobody is..........

First of all, you are taking what is said in this thread as gospel, there is no proof of that. For all we know, the coaches and Quinn can think ps2 is a better scheme fit.

Second of all, Dane is absolutely a football guy. He scouts every one of these players himself. His opinions are his own. They aren't taken from others. Just about nothing you said in this post is true.

Look for Lindsay Rhodes podcast w Dane today...33:20

conner01

Reaction score
I have read Vegas is looking to get into the top 10, 17 might be right on that cusp.
For the right price
I know a trade with bears at 20 people talked about a future one
That’s not enough for me
I’d want a 2 this year for sure and maybe a future 2 instead of the one
A pick a year from now is less valuable
My goal would be to get 3 picks in the top 2 rounds
Then use some later picks to move one of those picks up

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If tags are touching, which it seems, you go with the better scheme/team fit.

I agree. But you know what, I actually think that for most schemes, Surtain is better. Most schemes call for CBs to be man on at some point. Surtain, IMO, is better at this then is Horn, at this point in his career. But the Seattle scheme, it doesn't do that nearly as often. Being physical, being able to separate the ball, just getting into somebodies jock and physically taking them out of their game is really important in this scheme. You want that guy playing CB for you. That's really why I think Horn fits better.

JMO

conner01

Reaction score
OK, this IS about scheme people. I don't care what you say, the DC better be banging on the table for his guy or he might as well be walking out the door. This is what PFF says about both of these Corners:

1. PATRICK SURTAIN II, ALABAMA
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 13
Surtain was the highest-graded cornerback in college football this past season and has seen his PFF grade increase every single year since his freshman campaign. It's also not hard to project him to the NFL, as he has played 662 press coverage snaps over the past two years.

2. JAYCEE HORN, SOUTH CAROLINA
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 18
This is the press-man cornerback you want in this draft class. He allowed only eight catches from 24 targets in the SEC last season. The issue was that even with the relatively lax college rules, Horn was still flagged five times. He’ll need to reel that in at the next level.

So, as I have been trying to explain, and mind you, this was the take before Horn showed he was the faster, quicker guy, the key thing here is Horn's ability to play Press. That's what CBs are asked to do in the Seattle scheme. This is what you are looking for from your Corner. This is why he is the better pick for us. It's really pretty simple IMO but whatever......
I get the scheme though I think surtain can play press too
In a perfect world I’d trade down and take Horn and add another second round pick even if I had to give up a 5th or so to juice the trade

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I like both. JMO: Surtain is safer (better technique and less handsy). Horn offers a little more upside.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First of all, you are taking what is said in this thread as gospel, there is no proof of that. For all we know, the coaches and Quinn can think ps2 is a better scheme fit.

Second of all, Dane is absolutely a football guy. He scouts every one of these players himself. His opinions are his own. They aren't taken from others. Just about nothing you said in this post is true.

Look for Lindsay Rhodes podcast w Dane today...33:20

Well, it's the thread. I mean, typically when a thread is opened, you discuss the point of the thread. You are right about Brugler, he was the NFL Scout guy. That's my bad, confused there.

But everything else is not wrong. I mean, sorry, it's just not.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree. But you know what, I actually think that for most schemes, Surtain is better. Most schemes call for CBs to be man on at some point. Surtain, IMO, is better at this then is Horn, at this point in his career. But the Seattle scheme, it doesn't do that nearly as often. Being physical, being able to separate the ball, just getting into somebodies jock and physically taking them out of their game is really important in this scheme. You want that guy playing CB for you. That's really why I think Horn fits better.

JMO
Both are good fits, I think their play is close, think the decider might be Horn's competitiveness. Surtain seems like a low key, professional type, where Horn brings an competitive identity that could rub off on his teammates. Personally, like Surtain better, but would be happy with either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For the right price
I know a trade with bears at 20 people talked about a future one
That’s not enough for me
I’d want a 2 this year for sure and maybe a future 2 instead of the one
A pick a year from now is less valuable
My goal would be to get 3 picks in the top 2 rounds
Then use some later picks to move one of those picks up
I believe the trade chart gives us a 2. However, they have 2 3's in mid-3rd rd that are very attractive.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK guys,

All you fools are too argumentative today......

I'm gonna cut out a little bit early and get started on the weekend. Besides, haven't eaten lunch or Breakfast and I'm starving!

Everybody, have a great weekend. Be safe, be careful.

Peace........

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I gotta go with the coaches. I know, Rod wanted Taco......but you hire a new staff, let them have some ownership.
What does Quinn want. There is your answer. He needs players for defense. Look at the storylines. McCarthy was hired to complete Daks ability and get him elevated. It's why we gave Dak the money. Quinn and the coaches are to rebuild he defense. Now we have to follow thru. This draft is about defense. It's about Quinn.