Video: Broaddus: There's a divide in the Cowboys war room about Surtain and Horn

heir

Reaction score
Y'all trusting Broaddus and Fish? Really? That's what we do now?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I gotta go with the coaches. I know, Rod wanted Taco......but you hire a new staff, let them have some ownership.

If they are close, then you do.

I think what the coaches are liking is Horn's swagger and confidence. That's an important #1 CB trait. That's also something we really need on the D

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So, you think that it's a better idea to let the guys who have been looking at the prospects for a couple of months have more sway than the group that have been looking at the guys, cultivating the relationships and gathering the information for years?

To me, let the coaches set the positional prototypes in terms of desired height/weight/speed/arm length/testing, and let the scouts go find those players.
Makes sense!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect there are valid reasons why most of the scouts claim Surtain is the most NFL-ready CB in the 2021 draft.:thumbup:

Let's, also, consider that it was exactly where Will McClay got his information about both Patrick Surtain and Jaysee Horn.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is never a “divide” in the war room in the first round when the Cowboys are on the clock. The 78 year old “face of the franchise” and CPO (aka “Chief Picking Officer”) always gets the final say- whether it’s hot dog buns, socks, or personnel.

Well, I guess Mrs. Jones picks the stayjum artwork...so there’s that.

vicjagger

Reaction score
All you have to do is watch or listen to their interviews and there is no longer a debate...

Mr_437

Reaction score
Quinn is link to Muschamp at South Carolina, so he knows everything about Horn. The NFL is about relationships, so Jaycee probably has the leg up.

I like Surtain and the vision of him and Diggs making life tough on WRs with their height n length.

Last year, Will McClay was in love with Reggie Robinson and that's a highly questionable pick imho, so I'm a little nervous trusting the scouts on CBs. However, Quinn wasn't stellar picking CBs in ATL. Also, I think Horn is closer playing style wise to AJ Terrell, Quinn's 1st round CB last draft.

king987

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on the Surtain side here. I feel like he's the safer bet at 10.

I don't mind taking a chance on an aggressive player like Horn, but at 10? When a safer bet like Surtain is available at the same position? That's not a decision I'd make.

That said, I wouldn't be unhappy if they took Horn over Surtain. He's a good player. Whoever they take between the two, we'll be debating who's better for the next five years+.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Trading up for Surtain would be a disaster, especially if they are split between him and Horn.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If they go defense I hope they pick the right players. Dallas has really struggled when it comes to drafting defense. They're still 2-3 years away and if they pick the wrong players again that could extend it even longer.

The Realist

Reaction score
Coaches want Horn. Scouts want Surtain.

I heard MM say he was together with Horn’s
Dad for 10 years. Also Dan Quinn and Is extremely close with Horns former DC. Hired him at Florida.

Then again Parcells was tight with Bobby Carpenters dad.