Broaddus top 5 safeties

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If we draft Rapp at 58 I won’t be bent outta shape. I just have some questions about his athletic limitations.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If we draft Rapp at 58 I won’t be bent outta shape. I just have some questions about his athletic limitations.

I think I could get behind it too.

Would have loved to have seen a stronger 40, but he showcases elite short area times.

Also, his scouting report reads instincts, hard worker and exceptional tackler.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think I could get behind it too.

Would have loved to have seen a stronger 40, but he showcases elite short area times.

Also, his scouting report reads instincts, hard worker and exceptional tackler.

Yep. Agreed.

I know folks are trying to blow of the 40 times but the concern is real.

Every tenth of a second (e.g. 4.5 vs. 4.6) is the difference of ~3 feet over the course of 40 yards. He nearly ran a 4.8 (4.77) which is insane for a guy his size. Say he has to cover a 4.5 RB running a route up the seam. Over the course of 40 yards the RB would have almost 9 feet of separation.

Of course there are other factors that weigh-in that can help mitigate that lack of foot speed (e.g. instincts, reaction, etc.) but at some point it will get exploited...faster guys beat slower guys.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yep. Agreed.

I know folks are trying to blow of the 40 times but the concern is real.

Every tenth of a second (e.g. 4.5 vs. 4.6) is the difference of ~3 feet over the course of 40 yards. He nearly ran a 4.8 (4.77) which is insane for a guy his size. Say he has to cover a 4.5 RB running a route up the seam. Over the course of 40 yards the RB would have almost 9 feet of separation.

Of course there are other factors that weigh-in that can help mitigate that lack of foot speed (e.g. instincts, reaction, etc.) but at some point it will get exploited...faster guys beat slower guys.

I think part of it will be scheme fit.

If we can keep him closer to the LOS and let him max his strengths he’ll be fine.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think part of it will be scheme fit.

If we can keep him closer to the LOS and let him max his strengths he’ll be fine.
I don't want a glorified LB, I want a playmaker at the safety position. The one thing this defense has not had for 20 years is a playmaker.

Rayman70

Reaction score
trading up for Rapp would be a huge reach. BB lost some cred.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't want a glorified LB, I want a playmaker at the safety position. The one thing this defense has not had for 20 years is a playmaker.

Rapp will make plays, more of them will just be around the LOS as opposed to in the back end in coverage.

He’d likely be an upgrade over any S on the roster.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Rapp will make plays, more of them will just be around the LOS as opposed to in the back end in coverage.

He has 7 ints and 6 sacks in his career so he has a nose for the football. He actually is a playmaker as I watch a ton of Washington games up here in Washington. U-Dub is becoming db U.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

I won't deny that he will be better than any safety we have. But I don't know how I feel about him in coverage. I could get behind us drafting him I just like the other guys better

Rayman70

Reaction score
BB had cred here? lol
lmao..funny...As soon as I posted that I was thinking the same thing. Read my mind. Guess any cred he once had is gone. I really can't understand how he thinks this kid Rapp is good enough to draft at 58 and pretty much start. Heath is better. That's sayin something. lol. Now at 90, I might take a flier on him. But Darnell savage just passes the eyeball test and checks the boxes. I saw a ton of games live on TV of all these safeties, PLUS looked at a ton of footage ...good and bad, on youtube. I don't even think its close when I say, Savage and Adderly should be rated the 2 top dogs at their position in this draft. Abram is 3 in my opinion....but is more of a hitter than a cover guy. That scares me because in todays NFL, those kinds of safeties tend to get flagged an awful lot. Kavon Frazier falls into that category and is much like him. My best comp on Rapp is Kenny Vaccaro. They are very similar players in many ways. The footage bears this out. We all know where Kenny V. was drafted and how much of a disappointment he has been, never living up to the hype. That's what I see in Rapp. I don't wish that on the kid...and I wanna be wrong. But my 40 plus years of watching players tells me that my eyes are usually not wrong.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
lmao..funny...As soon as I posted that I was thinking the same thing. Read my mind. Guess any cred he once had is gone. I really can't understand how he thinks this kid Rapp is good enough to draft at 58 and pretty much start. Heath is better. That's sayin something. lol. Now at 90, I might take a flier on him. But Darnell savage just passes the eyeball test and checks the boxes. I saw a ton of games live on TV of all these safeties, PLUS looked at a ton of footage ...good and bad, on youtube. I don't even think its close when I say, Savage and Adderly should be rated the 2 top dogs at their position in this draft. Abram is 3 in my opinion....but is more of a hitter than a cover guy. That scares me because in todays NFL, those kinds of safeties tend to get flagged an awful lot. Kavon Frazier falls into that category and is much like him. My best comp on Rapp is Kenny Vaccaro. They are very similar players in many ways. The footage bears this out. We all know where Kenny V. was drafted and how much of a disappointment he has been, never living up to the hype. That's what I see in Rapp. I don't wish that on the kid...and I wanna be wrong. But my 40 plus years of watching players tells me that my eyes are usually not wrong.
Im meh on adderly. I like thornhill, savage at 58. at 90 gardner-johnson from florida I think can be good.

Rayman70

Reaction score
sometimes Broaddus falls in love with certain college coaches and program ,rather than looking at the actual player. Its a slippery slope when your evaluating players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Im meh on adderly. I like thornhill, savage at 58. at 90 gardner-johnson from florida I think can be good.
Johnson I like too...but I think if we want a sure thing at safety, we may need to move up a few spots and secure either Adderly or Savage and call it a day at safety. Tired of dicking around with the position.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think we should trade up for the safety we like rather than hope one of the pre draft visitors will fall to 58,we can get upto pick 50 with our 2nd 4th rd pick,good safety play will impact this defense the most imo.