Broaddus: Trysten Hill played poorly

coult44

Reaction score
Hill probably needs another season (maybe 2 more, hopefully not)

thems the breaks when you don't have a 1st Rd pick (Amari was worth it though)

With the way Marinelli drafts DL, don’t count on him ever panning out. Another Taco

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Time stamped. Says he's simply not strong enough right now. Dallas has to get another DT asap.

Think the problem is the 3Tech with this DL rather then the 1Tech. This team is depending on Collins because Crawford is hurt. This DL would be alot more effective if Crawford was healthy. I would like it if Dallas took a flyer on Muhammad Wilkerson or Terrell McClain

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am starting to believe Marinelli was a decent DL coach who reputation was buoyed by having a core group of great players in Tampa. As a head coach his record was awful. As a DC in Chicago and Dallas his record is ok. Not great by any stretch. Now the guy appears to be clearly losing it. He needs to be gone. Whole staff needs to go but especially him.

Moore I need to see more. Early returns are good.
Rod's DL have been good everywhere he has been.
He has built dominant DL around players far lesser than those Tampa DL which were legit studs.
He wrote the book on 4-3 DL play.
As a DC we were left we others doing much of the non DL work so he was basically reigned in to just DL/pass rush and that is where he should be so long as he desires.

The Cowboys have allowed the 7th fewest points in the NFL.
IDK man maybe this isn't the week to cry about things.

Sydla

Reaction score
As I said in preseason and was killed for it, this front office made a big mistake not bringing in one of those bigger named FA DTs. Everyone said we didn't need them because we drafted Hill. But anyone who was honest and not all COWBOYZ!!!! knew there was a possibility Hill would be a non factor.

I really don't think they have any idea what to do at DT. Just throw bodies at it and hope Marinelli turns them into gold.

CWR

Reaction score
I think everyone realizes its too early to label Hill, but given the circumstances its difficult not to believe hes a future bust.

Rod gets into the draft room and talks us out of good linemen some years. Other years he talks us into guys we end up cutting 3 years later. Smh.

Its difficult not to look at history and project forward. I have no faith in Hill developing, just like I have no faith in our coaches.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As I said in preseason and was killed for it, this front office made a big mistake not bringing in one of those bigger named FA DTs. Everyone said we didn't need them because we drafted Hill. But anyone who was honest and not all COWBOYZ!!!! knew there was a possibility Hill would be a non factor.

I really don't think they have any idea what to do at DT. Just throw bodies at it and hope Marinelli turns them into gold.

Looks like you were right on this.

I still don’t disagree with their thought process though; they just got the wrong player.

At the time we had Maliek Collins as the starter, along with guys like Crawford (the 3T was always his best position, which is another story) and Covington able to rotate in and backup the spot. I think their thought was to have Hill be a rotation guy that could give you snaps on obvious passing downs.

morasp

Reaction score
Not many college DTs have NFL ready strength, especially at the end of the second round (almost the third round). What matters right now is his attitude and effort, two things they really liked about him, and hopefully next year will be a different story. By the way the knock on Collins when we drafted him was that he had a fast first step but ended up on the ground a lot.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Looks like you were right on this.

I still don’t disagree with their thought process though; they just got the wrong player.

At the time we had Maliek Collins as the starter, along with guys like Crawford (the 3T was always his best position, which is another story) and Covington able to rotate in and backup the spot. I think their thought was to have Hill be a rotation guy that could give you snaps on obvious passing downs.

Note, I am not arguing against taking Hill. But he was clearly a raw player and assuming he was going to provide the play and depth they needed was a mistake.

They had the ideal set up where they could have made a strong offer for say a guy like McCoy for a year or two and that would not have locked them into a long term deal while also allowing Hill the time to develop.

It should surprise no one that here we are again talking about DT issues in the course of a season.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
So he's wrong? Hill is playing pretty well?

I am not talking about the Rookie ...... I am talking about that fat bald bigmouth Green Bay Packer fan who was never a good scout and has been wrong about almost every player that has come through this team ..... From Tyron Smith to Jaylon Smith

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Rod's DL have been good everywhere he has been.
He has built dominant DL around players far lesser than those Tampa DL which were legit studs.
He wrote the book on 4-3 DL play.
As a DC we were left we others doing much of the non DL work so he was basically reigned in to just DL/pass rush and that is where he should be so long as he desires.

The Cowboys have allowed the 7th fewest points in the NFL.
IDK man maybe this isn't the week to cry about things.

The comment related to Taco and Hill. 2 recent high picks that heretofore have yielded nothing on the DL. It also relates to the Dallas run defense which has been routinely exploited by good teams. Marinelli has been here long enough. A lot of capital has been spent on the defense yet they inexplicably come up short. Did you see the Jets game? A second year QB coming off an injury carved them up. Did you see the Packers game? A 5th round RB ran all over them. Did you see the Rams game last year? A back up RB scourched them. Repeatedly. Criticizing Marinelli is more than fair. Gone are the days when we could say he didn’t have any talent. This season was supposed to be different. So far the returns are not good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think everyone realizes its too early to label Hill, but given the circumstances its difficult not to believe hes a future bust.

Rod gets into the draft room and talks us out of good linemen some years. Other years he talks us into guys we end up cutting 3 years later. Smh.

Its difficult not to look at history and project forward. I have no faith in Hill developing, just like I have no faith in our coaches.
Rod with a month on the job saved us from an epic bust that was Sharif Floyd and allowed them to trade down and take Travis Frederick.
That trade down allowed the ammo to the next season go get DLaw at the top of round 2.
2 years later they got Maliek Collins in the 3rd round.

Taco was a bad miss. Prototype size but zero work ethic.
Hill was always labeled a project guy who had to get stronger. But make no mistake he has flashed elite quickness at tremendous raw size.
He has also shown the concern many had which is he can't stand his ground versus guys 20 pounds lighter.
But CWill, Travis and others have come in with strength issues and overcome those. Strength is the single easiest asset to add for a football player after conditioning.

The constant crying about Rod is one of life's greatest mysteries.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Note, I am not arguing against taking Hill. But he was clearly a raw player and assuming he was going to provide the play and depth they needed was a mistake.

They had the ideal set up where they could have made a strong offer for say a guy like McCoy for a year or two and that would not have locked them into a long term deal while also allowing Hill the time to develop.

It should surprise no one that here we are again talking about DT issues in the course of a season.
To give some perspective, 31 other teams are asking the similar questions at this point of the year, which is why this game is so much fun to watch. Pats just way overpaid for a WR and IMO they are still searching for a TE. No one in any front office has this figured out IMO