Broaddus & Voch talk key players during OTAs/minicamp, plus best explanation why to keep Dak

Momanpr100

Reaction score
My problem with Dak is mainly his contract. Paying a guy that much money +95M to the cap is going to make it very hard to add something to that. There is no easy way to hide that much money.

They've pushed money forward every year so that Dak's cap hits aren't restrictive, and we still can't go far in the playoffs. Now his money will be harder to hide.
The issue with this statement is, we don't have a shrewd front office. And that's a bigger problem than Daks contract imo.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Video is 52 1/2 minutes long. Very good video with Bryan Broaddus and Voch Lombardi breaking down key players (starters and backups) during OTAs and minicamp leading up to training camp and their upcoming battles.

Sorry, I won't be including a time stamp for every player discussed throughout the video. Too many players. It's best if you have an hour to sit back, relax and enjoy the video. Plus, for those who want to go straight to the Trey Lance & Cooper Rush backup QB discussion, you can go to the 38:15 minute mark. For the best argument made why the Cowboys need to keep Dak, you can go to the end of the video to the 42:00 minute mark.

Enjoy! :starspin:

What a great thread!

No explanation is needed on why to keep Dak ....... he is the best QB in the league and has had 3 12 win seasons in a row!

Did you see all those numbers he put up in the playoffs ....... if the defense and the RB \'s would have pulled up their slack we would have 6 SB wins today!

Oh well ....... we will get it this year 17-0 and then on to the Superbowl!

Haters can choke on there own bile!!!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We already know that Dallas doesn't do that just going by Dak's rookie years. They'll just spend the extra money on their own players.

Yes, we have to hope the team improved over last year. It's actually funny. Well, we do get Diggs and Overshown back. Mazi could emerge as the second coming of Aaron Donald. Ferguson could be the next Jason Witten. We have to hope because it's not getting any easier going forward.
Jason Witten was so overrated. Tony Romo made him.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
The narrative we are expected to believe is that Dak put the team on his shoulders and was fighting to get them back into the game. The fact he was only able to do that after Green Bay put their scrubs and practice squad guys out there doesn't matter.
You just made up that narrative lmao. That narrative was never put out there in the media, or even here. I think you must have schizophrenia.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What a great thread!

No explanation is needed on why to keep Dak ....... he is the best QB in the league and has had 3 12 win seasons in a row!

Did you see all those numbers he put up in the playoffs ....... if the defense and the RB \'s would have pulled up their slack we would have 6 SB wins today!

Oh well ....... we will get it this year 17-0 and then on to the Superbowl!

Haters can choke on there own bile!!!
You ok?

Flamma

Reaction score
Damn then Jerry must sign him soon to lesson the blow.
I've been paying attention to contracts in general since 2016. Granted, not even a decade, but this has to be one of the strangest approaches to a contract I have ever seen. The best way I can describe it is, it's like it took them by surprise. I can't wait to see how it's structured.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can think of $100 million reasons why Dak will be leaving us soon.

That’s the debt this team owes because of Dak.
There something to be said for that, no doubt -- but a good share of the blame belongs to Jerry & Stephen for their mismanagement, too. You'd think Dak might see fit to keep his manager under better control for the good of the team, but evidently, his greedy instincts get the best of him. I often wonder if his mother would've encouraged him to use better judgment in such cases. He used to pay such heed to her ideas. Too bad for him.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't mean to bash every one of these, but I'm sorry, it's laughable to hype up a guy like Eric Scott who wasn't even active all year even with Diggs out.

More likely he can't play and he's been protected because they traded up for him than that he's some exceptional player.

And talking about moving Bland inside so someone like him can play outside is just ridiculous.
I don't know if I would say "protected because they traded up for him." I think they saw some ability to be developed and didn't think they could get him to the practice squad. Now, that doesn't mean he will develop. However, I do agree that talking about moving Bland inside to play him is silly. Our top three corners are Diggs, Bland and Lewis, and the best that Scott and the others can hope is to give Dallas reason to believe they can do without Lewis after this season.

khiladi

Reaction score
I saw that breakdown, while he did say that Gallup can HELP Dak...it was a *drumroll* POOR DECISION. Did you REALLY want to go the route of quoting Kurt Warner's breakdowns of Dak? His breakdowns confirmed ALL of my suspicions about his lack of success:

- Chaotic feet
- Inconsistent Drops
- Bad Reads/Not seeing the field clearly
- Doesn't always read the defense properly post snap
- Throws are high and wide due to inconsistent techniques

I could go on. THOSE are the things that doom a guy when he's feeling extreme pressure.

As for the CeeDee Lamb interception ..."Dak never saw the LBer..." ...so please stop putting that on...the offensive coordinator? C'mon...Dak is both a pre-snap god and a clueless victim of Kellen Moore. Pick one.
yep.. same guy used to say Kurt Warner had no clue what he was talking about, as his videos primarily focused on Dak’s play.. Warner makes it clear his videos aren’t to target any player, but to show where he feels improvements can be made. Just because he may speak about a route being a problem, that doesn’t mean he is excusing Dak.

As you pointed out, Warner makes those criticisms if Dak plenty..

khiladi

Reaction score
More games than you can imagine. I don't care what the coaching staff designed. You don't throw the ball if it's not there. There is a reason QBs go through progressions. He obviously just went with the first read. You want to blame the coach for making him fake handoff? Sure, you can blame the coach. But Dak still didn't have to throw it. I can see if Dak was blindfolded, then yeah, blame the coach.
“First Read” Dak…

There is a reason why Slater said a no-named WR said Dak panics if his first-read isn’t there. I’ve been saying it for years. Jimmy Johnson and Jason Witten, when he was in the booth, mentioned it years ago. He only looks good when the OC is one-step ahead of the DC. He looks awful when he has to sit back and make decisions. That’s why his delivery and anticipation are like night and day at times.

This is why he’s so horrible when playing from behind, unless the game is out of reach and he’s throwing against soft defense.

There is a reason they designed the offense for Dak to bail the pocket of his early reads aren’t there.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
“First Read” Dak…

There is a reason why Slater said a not-naked WR said Dak panics of his first-read isn’t there. I’ve been saying it for years. He only looks good when the OC is one-step ahead of the DC. He looks awful when he has to sit back and make decisions.

This is why he’s so horrible when playing from behind, unless the game is out of reach and he’s throwing against soft defense.
He doesn't have the arm talent and/or the confidence in his arm to make those 2nd and 3rd read throws. It's what separates him from the elites. He can't crack that barrier because he's not a natural passer..he learned it over time but he didn't have that drive to make the PERFECT throw.

Tom Brady has been quoted as saying he has a 4inch margin of tolerable error in his throws. LOL...Dak patterned himself after TIM TEBOW...so...yeah...

Flamma

Reaction score
He only looks good when the OC is one-step ahead of the DC. He looks awful when he has to sit back and make decisions. That’s why his delivery and anticipation are like night and day at times.

This part of your post describes what we see perfectly.