Brugler: Cowboys “really like” Zaven Collins

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
On another one of those roller coaster rides, I see
I've been consistent with my admiration of Collins.

I went back to watch Reggie Robinson film since I wasn't super familiar with him. Two other Tulsa DB's, Allie Green IV and Akayleb Evans really flashed, so I decided to watch all Tulsa games this year.

Watching this year's games, whether live or off DVR, those two DBs played well. Good, physical press corners. However, this 6'4" 260-pound member of The Justice League, wearing #23, was flying around making play after play.

JBS

Reaction score

I went back to watch Reggie Robinson film since I wasn't super familiar with him. Two other Tulsa DB's, Allie Green IV and Akayleb Evans really flashed, so I decided to watch all Tulsa games this year.

Watching this year's games, whether live or off DVR, those two DBs played well. Good, physical press corners. However, this 6'4" 260-pound member of The Justice League, wearing #23, was flying around making play after play.

I’m seeing more and more people project Collison to a 3-4 olb..even Dane kind of alluded to that...is that where you have him?

reddyuta

Reaction score
I have never seen this guy play but watching some videos of him on youtube and he has very good instincts(lacking from our much touted LBs),thats half the battle and he is vert athletic and very big.this is kinda of guy who shoots up the boards during draft evaluation.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I’m seeing more and more people project Collison to a 3-4 olb..even Dane kind of alluded to that...is that where you have him?
3-4OLB is code for DE. Ware was a 3-4 OLB who we threw at RDE.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not the question. The question is if he can play inside or not
Yes, he can. Tulsa plays a multitude of hybrid 3-4 and 3-3-5 defenses in the highlights I’ve watched. They line him up as standup LDE and sacks the QB. They lined him up at ILB in the 3-4 and he blitzes. He lined up at Mike in their 3-3-5 and he made a play in the backfield flat. King is right - this kid makes more plays than Parsons IMO.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
His size (6'4" 260) and athletic ability always makes me think of Za'Darius Smith (6'4" 270), an EDGE player who plays OLB in Green Bay's 3-4 scheme. While I think Collins is a pretty good rusher, I really like him as a box linebacker where his versatility to run sideline-to-sideline, drop into pass coverage, and rush the passer make him more dangerous.

He kind of reminds me of LVE.

817Gill

Reaction score
Don't understimate the Jones' constant effort to appear clever.

I really like Collins. His film is amazing. He flashes when watching games live. If he tests well, 10 is not crazy, still seems high for him though.
In the caption it said “Maybe not at 10, but it’s someone to keep your eyes on.” I’m pretty sure they’re not taking him at 10, maybe in a trade down situation if they aren’t in love with Farley/Surtain.

Beaker42

Reaction score
His size (6'4" 260) and athletic ability always makes me think of Za'Darius Smith (6'4" 270), an EDGE player who plays OLB in Green Bay's 3-4 scheme. While I think Collins is a pretty good rusher, I really like him as a box linebacker where his versatility to run sideline-to-sideline, drop into pass coverage, and rush the passer make him more dangerous.

He kind of reminds me of LVE.
Only more explosive and athletic.

Mr_437

Reaction score

What did you think of Reggie Robinson when you saw his college tape?

Collins is a defensive player with talent, so I like the rumor. I'd like to have a LB to play the Mike and move LVE back to Will. However, I view Collins as a move around LB doing a bit of everything from did alignments. I'd like a trade back, and Collins would be a solid pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Collins is the dark horse selection for the Cowboys. We know they really like him and a decision on Jaylon is forthcoming.
They probably won’t make a decision on Jaylon until they secure his replacement. I would not be surprised if they have Collins rated over Parsons. Bucky Brooks said their are red flags with the Penn State linebackers maturity.

conner01

Reaction score
I seen him as high as the 12 overall prospect. Think he is a player well known by the nfl scouts, where the media scouts are just catching up
That happens every year
These media scouts are watching Alabama and the likes
The real scouts are watching all over the country
Then the media scouts hear about a guy from real scouts and act like they found a gem

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In the caption it said “Maybe not at 10, but it’s someone to keep your eyes on.” I’m pretty sure they’re not taking him at 10, maybe in a trade down situation if they aren’t in love with Farley/Surtain.
They might like some second round secondary prospects. Collins is probably rated high by NFL scouts. The media guys are always late to the party.