Brugler: Cowboys “really like” Zaven Collins

Bigdog

Reaction score
He's already won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and is up for the Chuck Bednarik tonight.

Award show is on in an hour if anyone is interested.

Also rooting for Moehrig for the Thorpe but Surtain has been very good this year.
Well there goes my ideal first 3 rounds. I was hoping we get Farley, Collins, and Moehing and trying to keep quiet about it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Well there goes my ideal first 3 rounds. I was hoping we get Farley, Collins, and Moehing and trying to keep quiet about it.
Well, that definitely would be ideal. Unfortunately, you’re probably looking at a high first round pick, a mid first round pick, and a mid second round pick.

The good news is that Dallas could end up with two of those three guys, which would still be a pretty damn good draft (Farley and Moehrig).

Dallas might could trade back for Collins and then pick up an extra second, where they could get Moehrig and a guy like Tyson Campbell at corner. That is a pretty long shot though.

Verdict

Reaction score
Kid is a stud, I thought he'd be in that 18-25 range , tbh I'd rate him higher than kenneth Murray from last year and we know he was on radar

Just out of curiosity, how did Murray play this year. He was one of my favs last year too.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
What did you think of Reggie Robinson when you saw his college tape?

Collins is a defensive player with talent, so I like the rumor. I'd like to have a LB to play the Mike and move LVE back to Will. However, I view Collins as a move around LB doing a bit of everything from did alignments. I'd like a trade back, and Collins would be a solid pick.
This team plays a 4-2-5 85% of the time so there’s no real MLB or WILL anymore

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That happens every year
These media scouts are watching Alabama and the likes
The real scouts are watching all over the country
Then the media scouts hear about a guy from real scouts and act like they found a gem

Some prospects fall through the cracks with the media scouts. Once the Senior Bowl and Combine take place, they have a better understanding how the actual NFL Scouts view these players. Many have Collins as a early 2nd rd selection, but his actual range may be in the teens. I heard Dane state yesterday, there is almost no chance Collins lasts into the 2nd rd.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They probably won’t make a decision on Jaylon until they secure his replacement. I would not be surprised if they have Collins rated over Parsons. Bucky Brooks said their are red flags with the Penn State linebackers maturity.

I heard the same thing from Brooks about Parsons immaturity. We don't want to replace Jaylon, with the same type of player.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Well, that definitely would be ideal. Unfortunately, you’re probably looking at a high first round pick, a mid first round pick, and a mid second round pick.

The good news is that Dallas could end up with two of those three guys, which would still be a pretty damn good draft (Farley and Moehrig).

Dallas might could trade back for Collins and then pick up an extra second, where they could get Moehrig and a guy like Tyson Campbell at corner. That is a pretty long shot though.
Yeah I know. Wouldn’t mind Collins. Every draft year I start to like a guy who I don’t see much pub on. I get my hopes up that no one knows about this guy and we might have chance of getting a steal. It goes back to Jerry Rice, than Darryl Revis , and Aaron Donald. I start seeing him climb the draft boards and I start thinking to myself there is no way we are going to get him. This time and age the draft simulators don’t help since some of the players they rank a lot lower than most have.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I heard the same thing from Brooks about Parsons immaturity. We don't want to replace Jaylon, with the same type of player.
I am concerned about both Parsons and Farley not playing this season. That is a big red flag to me. You play with your brothers not sit out.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I am concerned about both Parsons and Farley not playing this season. That is a big red flag to me. You play with your brothers not sit out.
I get that. I get their side too. Could have risked getting injured or getting Covid and spreading it to family.

but I do think sitting out and not killing the combine will hurt them big time. If they don’t do amazing at the combine then sitting out looks even worse. They have to knock the combine out of the park.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I get that. I get their side too. Could have risked getting injured or getting Covid and spreading it to family.

but I do think sitting out and not killing the combine will hurt them big time. If they don’t do amazing at the combine then sitting out looks even worse. They have to knock the combine out of the park.
I hear Farley was family related but he has little experience as a cornerback. I just don’t trust that we can put him on the field as cornerback 2 after he took a year off. Parsons is he was saving his body and wanted to get ready for the draft. I expect both guys should blowup the Combine but I trust Collins and Surtain to be able to be starters the first day of minicamp over the former two.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree. They both are going to need some time and we should adjust our expectations being impact day 1 players.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree. They both are going to need some time and we should adjust our expectations being impact day 1 players.

This is why I see us bringing back Awuzie on a one year deal. That gives Farley a chance to learn and grow.

Diggs, Awuzie and Brown will start. Farley would take over eventually.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I hear Farley was family related but he has little experience as a cornerback. I just don’t trust that we can put him on the field as cornerback 2 after he took a year off. Parsons is he was saving his body and wanted to get ready for the draft. I expect both guys should blowup the Combine but I trust Collins and Surtain to be able to be starters the first day of minicamp over the former two.
I agree in all aspects. I love parsons and wish he would fall but everyone who I know who played college ball or coached love this kid Collins.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree in all aspects. I love parsons and wish he would fall but everyone who I know who played college ball or coached love this kid Collins.

Both would be solid pickups. My only concern then turns to free agency. We will be relying on later round pick guys at either corner, DT or safety. That’s why they must knock out FA!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even the Cowboys aren't so poorly mismanaged that they've already singled out the player they want and decided to tell some schlub at the Athletic.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is why I see us bringing back Awuzie on a one year deal. That gives Farley a chance to learn and grow.

Diggs, Awuzie and Brown will start. Farley would take over eventually.

I think that's what Brown's role is. He is the stop gap, veteran starter who can hold down the position until a prospect is ready to become the starter. They will probably either resign Awuzie or another veteran at an affordable rate to help with the transition.

Many believe Awuzie is going to be able to resign at a low level, just don't see it. Corners always get paid on the open market, with Awuzie's starting experience and ability to play both inside/outside he is going to get a sizable contract.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This might sound crazy but I think the Cowboys see Collins as a better version of LVE while us fans see Parsons as a better version of Jaylon. Obviously both don’t have the formers injuries.