Bryan Broaddus on Cowboys Break this morning

loublue22

Reaction score
we can't do that, he might lose every game until Romo gets back!

Hailmary

Reaction score
I haven't read through all the posts, but here's my take.

First, we need to evaluate what we want to see in a QB, starting or otherwise. Here are the things I want to see in order of importance:

1. Football IQ. The greatest asset I want my QB to have is his ability to read defenses. Moore's football IQ is very high, I don't think anyone doubts this. He passes this criteria with flying colors.

2. Accuracy. From what I've seen of him at Boise and the few opportunities he's had in preseason, his ball placement seems good to very good. Not only does he give a chance for the receiver to make a play, but he has the ability to hit the receiver in stride to maximize his YAC potential.

3. Pocket presence. Although he's not a "mobile" QB, I believe he can move around the pocket enough not to take a costly sack or has the sense to throw the ball away to see another play. You can file this under footbal IQ as well.

4. Physical stature/ arm strength. This is what's kept him out of games, imo. You don't necessarily need a rocket arm to succeed and in comparison to football IQ and accuracy, I think the whole "golden arm" assessment in evaluating a QB is overrated. His lack of height and weight concerns me more. GM's tend to fall in love with the "arm" far too often only to have it bit them in the @$$.

If you judge Moore by these criteria, who does he remind you of? Romo? Breeze? And in some respects, Wilson? I forget if it was Broaddus or Eatman who said that ideally you want your backup to be as close to your starter so the offense doesn't have to dramatically change in case the starter goes down. This made all the sense in the world to me and it changed my perception of Moore. Kellen Moore is the closest thing we have on the roster to Tony Romo. It's too late in the process to give him a start (the N.O. game would've been my choice), but it wouldn't shock me to see him as our backup next season.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Broaddus thought Joey Harrington was an all time great prospect too. If it isn't line play I ignore Broaddus.

Admittedly, I thought Harrington was going to be a great QB, too.

Tough to predict QB play in my opinion. It's so dependent upon the head coach and the organization to work together to help develop the QB. And I think you have such a small window to do it 'right'.' If you don't, you can easily lose a talented QB for the rest of their career. If you do it right, you can take a lesser talented QB and make him into a superstar. And I don't think Harrington got that with the Lions.

YR

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Like they say -- desperate times call for desperate measures. And these are desperate times, no doubt.

In some respects it simplifies things for the team. Win and you've still got something to play for. Lose, and have fun playing out a meaningless season.

In other words, they can just look straight ahead. No need to look behind them, all they'll see is a big wall.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Boise State Football ‏@BroncoSportsFB 11m11 minutes ago
Boise State Football Retweeted Dallas Cowboys

Worked for us

Boise State Football added,

0:06
proxy.jpg

Dallas Cowboys @dallascowboys
"I would play Kellen Moore," @BryanBroaddus on @CowboysBreak this morning. Full Show: http://******/1NbPL0X…
5 retweets 10 likes

Like I said I like Bryan. His lineman reviews are really good.

I don't trust his QB stuff nearly as much.

You're going to be that guy who makes excuses forever for why Moore never got a shot in the NFL aren't you? Cause the guy is going to more than likely leave the game having never been a starter in this league.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All the Broaddus bashing aside, he is asking a reasonable question.

My thing about Moore is why is he on the 53 other than insurance then? If his arm is too weak, why have him at all? This is a vertical offense, so why was he someone we brought in immediately?

Inexperience? Well, we have two experienced QBs that cannot hit the broad side of a barn and make questionable decisions to boot. He also should know this offensive structure backwards and forwards since all Garrett raved about was that he was smart and a winner. So it all comes down to what? Arm strength? Then the system is holding back the team's chances to find talent and that is a tough place to be in.

Playing Moore is a huge risk, I understand that. But I wonder how or when it becomes time to simply take that risk. They have tried everything so far.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Admittedly, I thought Harrington was going to be a great QB, too.

Tough to predict QB play in my opinion. It's so dependent upon the head coach and the organization to work together to help develop the QB. And I think you have such a small window to do it 'right'.' If you don't, you can easily lose a talented QB for the rest of their career. If you do it right, you can take a lesser talented QB and make him into a superstar. And I don't think Harrington got that with the Lions.

I don't believe that for one second. The reality is, QBing at the NFL position is so entirely different than college QBing, it might as well be a different profession altogether. And I'm not saying that the NFL is just better, it is different. As such, no way to evaluate QBs based on their college success, one has nothing to do with the other. But this idea that QBs are "ruined" by less than ideal environments is absurd. No, they just weren't good at the NFL game to begin with. It doesn't matter what environment guys like Rodgers and Romo started in, they were always going to be great QBs. They get it, they truly see the field, can process what they're seeing extremely quickly and react. It doesn't matter if guys like Harrington or Weeden sat for years learning behind a veteran, they just don't get the nature of the NFL game and they never will.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No disrespect but Austin couldn't beat out Roy Williams and Murray couldn't beat out Jones. ..i don't have a lot of faith in Garrets practice talent evaluation.

Fair enough.

This is two teams of coaches, including Linehan in two different places, and Moore has never gotten above the 3rd string spot.

At some point fan boys might want to start thinking it's not just the coaches being mean to Moore and realize that it's more likely that he simply, to this point, has not been good enough to beat anyone out in this league.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Broaddus thought Joey Harrington was an all time great prospect too. If it isn't line play I ignore Broaddus.

And Mike Holmgren, considered a QB guru, who actually coached thought Brandon Weeden could play.

Everyone knows QBs are incredibly hard to evaluate. But I am not going to nail an unemployed scout for his poor evaluation.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Fair enough.

This is two teams of coaches, including Linehan in two different places, and Moore has never gotten above the 3rd string spot.

At some point fan boys might want to start thinking it's not just the coaches being mean to Moore and realize that it's more likely that he simply, to this point, has not been good enough to beat anyone out in this league.

Or people need to realize he's never got a fair shot. I'll take my experience of watching this kid 53 times....going 50-3 knowing he can play the position.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
does it really matter who the QB is at this point? they will just dink and dunk and try to keep the game close.

Agreed but some dink an dunkers are better than other dink and dunkers. Some qbs can only dink but cant dunk. Others can dunk but got no dink. The abilty to both dink and dunk is a lost art

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Or people need to realize he's never got a fair shot. I'll take my experience of watching this kid 53 times....going 50-3 knowing he can play the position.

Cool story man.

It really is.

Just like 1000 other people's stories about their great college QB who just was so mistreated and never given a shot.

Maybe he's good. Maybe he can even be great.

But I don't think he's not getting a shot because the coaches in the NFL are meanie heads and won't let him have a real shot.

Moore is like hundreds and hundreds of other QBs out there. I guess all of them were mistreated and not given a fair shot as well.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Agreed but some dink an dunkers are better than other dink and dunkers. Some qbs can only dink but cant dunk. Others can dunk but got no dink. The abilty to both dink and dunk is a lost art

Some can dink and dunk to left, middle and right..Some can't.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Let's just get this through your skull....No QB in the history of college football has won more games than this kid. 50-3....and 2 of those losses were flukes. And don't feed me this line of bull BSU hasn't played anyone. He went down to Georgia (an SEC team) in their house and destroyed them. His Sr year...He got pulled in the 3rd quarter so many times because they were so far ahead....It cost him the heisman. Does he fit the profile of a starting QB....Nope. All this kid does is make plays. And how does he do that? He knows what to do w/ the ball....and when it needs to be there....which makes him play faster than he really is. He is unbelievably accurate. I know being an armchair GM if I saw this kid...I'd laugh because he doesn't pass the eye test. But...He just has "it"...and no one is gonna prove it to me other wise until I see him fail on the big stage for myself. I know where I'm putting my money If he ever gets his shot...And I warn you not to bet against him. I find it unbelievably funny people here were falling over themselves over Johnny Football. Well Johnny football isn't half the player Kellen is. ;)

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Out of 3,700,000,000 men in the world, only 30-40 are currently NFL starter material.

Kellen isnt one of them. Oh and Johnny isnt either. Oh and bob griffin 3 isnt either.