Bryan Broaddus on fourth pick

Sydla

Reaction score
Or have they been clear that they don't want to invest in a back that has already taken punishment? Big difference between making an investment on a four year vet or a rookie. Especially if Elliott is projected to have a lot more talent than the mentioned backs.

Nope. Read Jones' quotes from last year. He's clear that they don't like to invest big dollars in the tailback position regardless of age, etc.

Miller is a TB they inquired about and a guy who is only 25 years old with limited mileage on his tires. $14MM guaranteed was too rich for them. You guys can think Elliott is a real option at 4 but that would be ignoring what the Jones' have repeatedly said about the TB position.

As I said, they'd have to do a 180 on their stated position on the TB spot if they took Elliott at 4.

Sydla

Reaction score
We've had this conversation before.
The Cowboys haven't SAID they won't pay a running back $24 million in guarantee money.
But they have acted as if they won't.
I think those are two big distinctions to make.

Actually Jones said they won't invest a lot of money in the TB position. You guys are just choosing to ignore it. The fact they drew the line in the sand with Murray at $12MM and wouldn't get in a bidding war for Miller who only got $14MM, it's pretty obvious what they think of investing money in that position.

But you guys can continue to trick yourselves into believing something completely opposite of what the Jones have said and done in the last 2 years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Aaaaand Jones always does exactly what he says he is gonna do right?

Well he did it with Murray and he just did it with Miller. But ya, if you guys want to think Elliott is a real possibility at 4.............. have at it.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Just saying this is not the time of year to believe the Jones family because things change rapidly with them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just saying this is not the time of year to believe the Jones family because things change rapidly with them.

Here's a quote from Jones about the running back position from last year:

And so the position is one you have to take into consideration no matter what the skill level is, they take a lot of hits, lot of punishment, and you got a good chance to have an injury issue. And that’s why we couldn’t make that kind of commitment of dollars to that position.”

And they proved that statement when they drew a line in the sand on what they would pay Murray and then drew the line again in the sand when they had a chance to make a run at Lamar Miller, who is still very young and has little mileage on him.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Again they were talking about Murray originally fresh off a monster carry season and some prior injury history. Plus they never said that they wouldn't EVER commit money to that position, just right then they wouldn't. Obviously they felt Miller wasn't worth 6 or 7 million, Elliot is not Murray or Miller. So who knows, I just think Elliot would make the biggest difference on this team. 12-4 with a bellcow hammer and 4-12 without. Pretty obvious I think

Sydla

Reaction score
Again they were talking about Murray originally fresh off a monster carry season and some prior injury history. Plus they never said that they wouldn't EVER commit money to that position, just right then they wouldn't. Obviously they felt Miller wasn't worth 6 or 7 million, Elliot is not Murray or Miller. So who knows, I just think Elliot would make the biggest difference on this team. 12-4 with a bellcow hammer and 4-12 without. Pretty obvious I think

Notice the words " the position" and "they". They are referring to the running back position, not just Murray. Yes, they were saying this after not signing Murray but they used words that express their view on the position, not just one player.

4-12 without their QB and WR too. Again, trying to compare 2014 and then 2015 and thinking the difference was no bell cow TB is bizarre.

And FWIW, I am not saying Elliott couldn't have a positive effect on the team. It's just not going to happen with the 4th pick.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I agree not having Tony and Dez contributed but I still think they missed the bellcow. I also think we got lucky that McFadden made it through the season

Sydla

Reaction score
I tend to agree about McFadden. Risky counting on him again.

But I suspect they'll see what shakes in FA later and then draft a TB in mid rounds.

Maybe take Elliott..... If they trade out of 4.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
And were we anywhere near signing Miller?

Again we are talking about the Cowboys and what they are going to do and what they have done. They aren't signing a rookie for more than they wouldn't pay the reigning OPTY.

They will if they draft Zeke at 4.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No... they weren't going to spend $6.5 mil a season on Miller. Not with having $2 mil already invested in McFadden for the upcoming season.

And no, they aren't drafting Elliott in the first round... Ain't gonna happen. That's a massive pipe-dream.

They could take a back AFTER round 2.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if they signed Alfred Morris, Arian Foster or Ronnie Hillman in the area of $2 mil for the season.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I would love Elliot in one I agree it is a pipe dream if not Elliot then Dixon in 2 not a Henry fan at all

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Money doesn't make sense for a RB that high. If someone can address that concern then I'll buy Elliott at 4.

I get that he looks like Gayle Sayers at certain points, has natural hands, and knows how to block.

I don't blame him from refraining from commenting on the QBs. Wise man.

Lmao money would be around 4.1m base salary so yeah so it makes sense for RB at 4.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lmao money would be around 4.1m base salary so yeah so it makes sense for RB at 4.

Last year pic 4 got 5.6m AAV. You are aware of how much the cap went up and how the rookie pool is proportional?

Handwaving at the first year cap charge and ignoring the total value is nice though. Wish harder and maybe it will happen.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Says the guy who has a mouth full of Bosa in him.

How cute, you're mad and lashing out with sexual innuendo. That just makes me think I'm winning the argument, peaches.

I like Ramsey better than Bosa. I think the OT is a poor allocation of resources and would likely net a really nice trade down should he fall to 4 but he is still top dog.

My order is:

Ramsey
Bosa
Jack
Goff
Lawson
Hargreaves
Stanley
Buckner
Elliott

or something in that vein. I think they are all excellent players particularly the top 3.

What I don't do is pick a pet cat and bash perceived opponents like this is politics. What you are getting from me is pushback against that; not me demanding we draft Bosa.

Sydla

Reaction score

It's not the base salary. It's the guaranteed money. You do realize that rookie contracts are 100% guaranteed right?

Amari Cooper got around $23MM last year on his full deal. All guaranteed.

So when the Cowboys take a player at #4, he'll get around $24MM............. and it will all be guaranteed.