Video: BST: Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

Flamma

Reaction score
You know what? With Austin healthy the Cowboys have pretty good offensive personnel. There is no reason the Cowboys offense should be anemic.

CWR

Reaction score
Wouldn't be suprised if him and Irving dont play again this year. No point in keeping Austin after this year. Only worth keep irving If hes cheap.

Na, we will keep Austin and Beas will likely sign elsewhere, since he thinks hes one of the best slot receivers in the league. Im pretty sure hes going to want more money than we will pay him.

CWR

Reaction score
Austin at least threatens speed. I think he can be useful for this historic run. :dance:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
they were still trying to figure a lot of things out as the team was still struggling, with out a #1 WR. How about seeing how he does with Cooper in there.

I seriously don't see us incorporating him at this point as a major component of the offense. I was half-joking with my previous comment, but I see him mainly being out there for a few plays either to run the jet sweep or fake it (to try to get the defense to not key on Elliott), maybe run a receiver screen. I can't see him taking much playing time from Cooper, Gallup or Beasley. I'm not sure he'll even get Brown's snaps since he is out there as a blocker. He might take Hurns or at least split them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seriously don't see us incorporating him at this point as a major component of the offense. I was half-joking with my previous comment, but I see him mainly being out there for a few plays either to run the jet sweep or fake it (to try to get the defense to not key on Elliott), maybe run a receiver screen. I can't see him taking much playing time from Cooper, Gallup or Beasley. I'm not sure he'll even get Brown's snaps since he is out there as a blocker. He might take Hurns or at least split them.

I can see them trying a few plays we normally would not see this week. As a try it to see if it works play. Or as plays to throw off the playoff opponent.
Show them one thing, do another.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Very productive per touch run or catch. He should have gotten the ball more. About a jillion times better than having Jourdan Lewis run/fake jet sweeps.

I'm hoping we keep him for next year. I think he really complements our base offense.

I agree. I like the player. He can play outside or inside, but is best-suited for the slot spot occupied by Beasley. I don't know if we'll try to keep both, but we might take the one who will sign for the cheapest. Cooper, Gallup and Austin would be the best combination IMO, and I don't have anything against Beasley. I just think Austin is the better overall threat.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

JJT_and_Paul.jpg

While the Cowboys have wrapped up the NFC East, they still have things to work on in the regular season finale Sunday against the Giants. NBC 5 Cowboys Insider Jean-Jacques Taylor tells Paul Jones one of those things is to find out what Tavon Austin can add to the offense.

Read Full Story

All of ONE catch a game wont do it.

fishspill

Reaction score
I have questions about Austin’s fit in this league. Seems all anybody can figure with him is to make a gadget player. If you want a real WR with good hands and speed in FA then John Brown should be a priority this offseason. Played on a prove-it deal in Baltimore this season and got the shaft when Flacco went Flacco and the team started a running QB. Brown is what we want Austin to be.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I can see them trying a few plays we normally would not see this week. As a try it to see if it works play. Or as plays to throw off the playoff opponent.
Show them one thing, do another.

I'd love to see it, but it would come as a surprise to me. Now, plays like the inside flip to Cooper that we attempted in the red zone against Tampa would definitely be something we'd see a healthy Austin do instead because of his running ability. Would love to see us isolate him on a safety, linebacker or nickel corner and go deep against the Giants again.

I just don't think we're all that good at showing one thing and doing another. If he's out there, I'd be watching as a defense for the jet sweep, the fake jet sweep and maybe the tunnel screen. Us using him downfield like we did against the Giants would actually be a surprise.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to see it, but it would come as a surprise to me. Now, plays like the inside flip to Cooper that we attempted in the red zone against Tampa would definitely be something we'd see a healthy Austin do instead because of his running ability. Would love to see us isolate him on a safety, linebacker or nickel corner and go deep against the Giants again.

I just don't think we're all that good at showing one thing and doing another. If he's out there, I'd be watching as a defense for the jet sweep, the fake jet sweep and maybe the tunnel screen. Us using him downfield like we did against the Giants would actually be a surprise.

With Gallup and Cooper on the outside now, Zeke in the back field. Austin in the slot or even Beasley out there in 4 wides. They can isolate Austin one on one some will be open. Well, that may be wishful thinking with Linehan. But it is possible. :laugh:

Knotamus

Reaction score
Sorry, I’ll believe when I see it. (And I’m usually optimistic)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Wouldn't be suprised if him and Irving dont play again this year. No point in keeping Austin after this year. Only worth keep irving If hes cheap.
Not so sure about letting him go.

He can return kicks when healthy and as a rookie,,

returned several for TDs.

I think if you put him and Cooper and Beasley and Gallup out there..

it is going to pay dividends going forward.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You know what? With Austin healthy the Cowboys have pretty good offensive personnel. There is no reason the Cowboys offense should be anemic.

I can think of one position, errrr.... "Reason"......

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I like him as our backup to Zeke on the plays where Zeke feels the need to come out. As well as punt returner and slot receiver

gimmesix

Reaction score
I like him as our backup to Zeke on the plays where Zeke feels the need to come out. As well as punt returner and slot receiver

Now, that would be a creative use ... that I can't see us doing.

Put him in the backfield, then you can motion him out, run sweeps or screens with him, etc. I know we motion him into the backfield some, but using him as a change-of-pace back would give defenses something to actually worry about when Zeke isn't in the game. Plus, taking Smith off the field doesn't affect us much other than not wanting to have Austin try to pick up a blitz. It has to be specifically designed for quick plays.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I can hardly wait for a formation having Cooper, Gallup, Beardsley, and Austin...with Elliott as a check-off. Schultz wouldn't be a bad alternate choice as well.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

JJT_and_Paul.jpg

While the Cowboys have wrapped up the NFC East, they still have things to work on in the regular season finale Sunday against the Giants. NBC 5 Cowboys Insider Jean-Jacques Taylor tells Paul Jones one of those things is to find out what Tavon Austin can add to the offense.

Read Full Story
I'm hopeful but not confident Tavon can spark anything with that half healed groin.