Video: BST: Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Beasley, but he's more valuable elsewhere, so we'd have to pay more than he's worth to us to keep him.

Since Austin is the better fit, I'd go with him for the slot receiver. If we want more underneath threat, we should spend on a TE instead of Beasley. Swaim was getting more than 90% of snaps while healthy. That many snaps shouldn't go to a JAG, and less so to a committee of not even JAGs.

Beasley is great to have to move the chains on 3rd down. I'd rather have him in on 3rd downs than Austin. But I don't want to pay what he's worth as a full time slot receiver on a pass first offense just for 3rd downs.

Austin will be 28 and Beasley 30. Austin coming off a year of being injured. They probably are overestimating their value. Beasley should get a solid contract. 5-7mil. Austin is more variable - 3-7mil.

If we take Hurns and Williams off the books, we'd get nearly $9 million in cap space next year, and another $4 million on Williams in 2020. That's more than enough if we'd prefer to keep both Beasley and Austin without even restructuring Cooper's contract. My feeling is that we need to keep the four-best receivers or have a good plan for replacing one of them because if you only go three deep, you are setting yourself up for trouble.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we take Hurns and Williams off the books, we'd get nearly $9 million in cap space next year, and another $4 million on Williams in 2020. That's more than enough if we'd prefer to keep both Beasley and Austin without even restructuring Cooper's contract. My feeling is that we need to keep the four-best receivers or have a good plan for replacing one of them because if you only go three deep, you are setting yourself up for trouble.

One can always scrape money for particular players. That's not a license to spend that money poorly.

And I don't know if 9mil is enough for Beasley and Austin.

I suspect we only bring back one. Maybe neither. They already tried with Beasley and failed. He should really want to be on a pass first team that makes more use of him. Dak doesn't pull the trigger fast enough to make the most of him, and we're a run first team.

I bet ya a nickel Beasley isn't here next year.

jnday

Reaction score
Yep... we have a conservative, and archaic offensive philosophy in place.

Garrett preaches “take what the defense gives you.” So, as soon as teams double Cooper, they have “taken him away” so they are “giving” us a better matchup to exploit. It’s a passive approach and while it sounds good and works in theory—- the same can be said of communism lol.

If you notice good offense’s around the league— they do everything they can to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers— utilize motion, picks, creative playcalling to get them open— even when they are doubled.

We give up on our most dangerous weapons and concede and submit to what the defense is dictating FAR too often IMO... instead we should have an aggressive scheme that attacks the defense’s weakest links with our best assets. We should be dictating all of the matchups to the defense and staying one step ahead on our playcalling.
You bring up a great point about the attitude of this offense. In the 90’s, teams knew that Dallas only had a few plays that they ran, but the attitude was that they was going to run those plays and the defense had to prove that they could stop them. The offense set the pace for the game and they took what they wanted instead of taking what the defense gave them. The reason that defenses gives the offense certain plays is because the defense knows that those plays can’t beat them. I can’t stand the passive attitude of this offense. The offense would be better with an attitude of attacking the defense aggressively.

jnday

Reaction score
Williams should have been gone years ago. He has never played to his full ability. He disappears for entire games without contributing anything. The ideal of cutting him and creating cap space is so much more exciting than his level of play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Williams should have been gone years ago. He has never played to his full ability. He disappears for entire games without contributing anything. The ideal of cutting him and creating cap space is so much more exciting than his level of play.

I only disagree if the option is that we let Beasley, Hurns and Williams all go. I feel better about Williams as a fourth option than I do about Brown or Wilson at this point. At least Williams has some skins on the wall. However, I'd keep Beasley or Hurns before I'd keep Williams.

I'm a big believer in players proving they should be ahead of the man in front of them instead of being handed the job by default.