BTB: 2016 NFL Draft Order: Cowboys Currently Picking Fourth Overall

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Instead of spouting off nonsense about people being "losers", why don't you take a second to actually understand what you're talking about? People who are hoping that Dallas gets the highest possible draft selection at this point are not bad fans or 'losers" or whatever crap you want to spew. They are fans who want their team to have the best chance to improve for next season. NOBODY is asking for the players , who are paid to play the game, to play poorly intentionally or "tank". The players should be giving good effort because that is what they're paid to do. However, anyone who would rather have seen us get the number 2 pick instead of the number 1 pick in 1989 needs to get their head checked. Getting Aikman vs getting 1 more meaningless regular season win is a no-brainer. Fans who wanted to see this team have a shot at the top QB in the draft were not "losers", they wanted what was best for their team. You know, like most smart fans would want. Root for the Cowboys however you want, but to call others "losers" for thinking about the team' future is ridiculous.

Awww....poor guys. I'm sorry that I don't share the stupid view that we should be rooting for losses and be mopping because we won. If the loser outlook is your outlook more power to you.

Goodbye.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Awww....poor guys. I'm sorry that I don't share the stupid view that we should be rooting for losses and be mopping because we won. If the loser outlook is your outlook more power to you.

Goodbye.

Pretty much the kind of response I expected. Stay classy.

Sydla

Reaction score

Goodbye.

That's a fine attitude to have.

But then don't sit there and wonder 2-3 years from now why the team is still stuck in mediocrity because Garrett is still here, we didn't have a chance at an elite player or two in the draft because we won some meaningless games that cost us a bunch of draft spots, etc.

Really, at this point, the likely wrong view is that winning out somehow betters this franchise.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score

But then don't sit there and wonder 2-3 years from now why the team is still stuck in mediocrity because Garrett is still here, we didn't have a chance at an elite player or two in the draft because we won some meaningless games that cost us a bunch of draft spots, etc.

Really, at this point, the likely wrong view is that winning out somehow betters this franchise.

Agreed. It's not being a bad fan, IMO. It's thinking about this season smartly and realizing best thing for our future is to land this top five pick.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope that Dallas has a top five, and ends up with two first round and three second round picks....oh, and Gunner, sabot tank!

Yes a top five pick would be great.
we don't have to have the #1 overall, unless they want a chance to get Joey Bosa.
But a 4 to 6 range opens up a lot of possibilities just as well.

Rooting to win, but won't be disappointed with losses at this point.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

I understand that.

Garrett is going to be here regardless. I've accepted that. Jerry loves him and it would take something crazy for Jerry to actually get rid of him. So I'm not going to concern myself with that any longer. It's a waste of time for me.

That said I can certainly appreciate how the potentially higher draft pick could, possibly, help us out in the long run. I appreciate the fact that it could potentially make us a better team going forward.

I can also appreciate the fact that there are plenty of teams who routinely seem to be picking in the top 5, or top 10, over the years who haven't really done anything at all better just because they had higher draft picks. So I appreciate the fact that with a higher draft pick we could be just like Cleveland, or Jacksonville, or Tennessee. All teams who always seem to have some high spots to pick from and who never seem to get anywhere.

So I don't just accept this idea that hey if we lose out we get a higher draft pick and man that means much better things for Dallas. Maybe it would. Maybe it wouldn't.

Now, all of that is fine, and acceptable and understood. But anytime anyone takes the approach that they want to lose, would be happy with losing, and are accepting of losing, simply because it may help out later on down the road, has the completely wrong mindset that I wouldn't want anywhere near a sports team that I root for or that I'm a part of.

It's an awful mindset that is for people who don't mind being a loser and don't mind losing and are fine with it cause hey maybe we will get a higher draft pick.

That same mindset would have been applied to the Panthers last year as well. Now don't get me wrong we're not Carolina and all that garbage. So people can save all their chest beating and crying about this before they even start it. Here is the point.

The Panthers probably had a large part of their fan base last year wanting to tank the season. Get a higher draft pick. These are all meaningless wins anyway when they were sitting at 3-8-1.

They won out, all those 'meaningless' games. Won their division. Got a playoff win and now they're what 13-0 this year? But, yeah, by the logic I see around here they would have been so much better off this year by tanking last year and getting that higher draft pick.

Now don't misunderstand here. We're not going to win out. We're not going to the playoffs. We're not winning a playoff game. I've said before even the Washington win that we were not going to win out. It's just not going to happen without Romo QBing this team. It's really that simple.

But none the less that's how stupid that kind of loser tanking mentality is. If people don't like that I feel that way about it...oh well. I can't change their minds on how to think or be, and that's fine, they won't change my mind either and we can all just agree to disagree on the approach and thought.

Sydla

Reaction score
See I think you overreact and overvalue this "loser mindsight" think you keep uttering when all people are talking about now was maybe losing as many games as they could over what was really just an 8 game stretch. It's not like people were asking the team/rooting for the team to tank an entire season.

There's no danger here of thinking that once Romo went down and we started losing games in rapid succession that then losing a bunch more games would be better long term for this franchise.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score

Goodbye.

Alright so you are just trolling the subject, i understand.

alohawg

Reaction score
Give me Alex Collins over Henry, especially in this offense. The best comparison I've seen on Henry was to Brandon Jacobs, sounds about right. Not a bad player, certainly good on short yardage, but not as good otherwise. Collins has the best vision and footwork of any back in college and better than most pros right now. He will be a steal for some team.

chuch

Reaction score
So what? Why waste a Top 5 pick on a QB that might only be there because teams overvalue QBs and really isn't a Top 5 QB? Too many people take such a simplistic look at this......... Top 5 pick, could use a QB = HAVE TO TAKE A QB..............

Let's go further. I just looked at the top two teams in every division and their QBs

Of the 16 teams in the top two positions in each division, only 6 QBs were taken in the Top 5. And of those 6................ one was Alex Smith, another was Sam Bradford. So of the 16 QBs in first or 2nd place in their divisions right now, only 4 that were Top 5 picks are really all that good.

Take a QB for development. Sure. Just don't waste a Top 5 pick on one in this draft.

Interesting numbers. But why only take winning teams? Surely even if all QBs were equal, at the end of the day, half of them would be winners and half would be losers. So without going into detail about how teams are winning we can look at QBs individually by assuming open competition among QBs during training camp.

So let's assume that every team did the best they possibly could to evaluate viable QBs during TC who would give their respective teams the best chance to win. In which case 13 of 32 QBs who started the season came from the first 5 picks in the NFL draft. Think about that. of the 225 picks potential picks in the draft 40% of starters at a given position come from the first 5 slots which occupy 2% of the available draft positions where a QB can be taken (and a much smaller percentage if you count the possibility of finding another Romo in RFA).

Furthermore 21/32 NFL QBs who won the starting job at the beginning of the season come from the first round. That's 65%. So among the 65% of starting QBs that were drafted in the first round 13 of 21 , nearly 2/3 come, of them are drafted within the first five picks.

There are caveats; the importance of the position being the most significant. Because every team needs at least a decent QB to be competitive the position has become overvalued. However, this is not grounds to pass up on a quality prospect at a key position with starter potential because subjectively that prospect is a 'worse' than a player at less-valuable position Y who could become a star. Either you get a good player at an important position for market value or you gamble with potential and trust the staff to develop that potential. The latter does not seem to be a fruitful strategy based on where starting QBs are coming from in the draft.

My point is that the QB position is among the most highly scrutinized position in all of professional sports. If a QB is taken in the top 5 it will not be because teams are doing it 'just to do it' or they are QB needy. I haven't looked at lynch thoroughly enough defend a position for him but Goff is, from a risk perspective, a top 10 talent in most drafts (I value what they've shown they can do thus far) and probably top 5 in this one.