RELEASED BTB: Brice Butler Released

fansince68

Reaction score
first off or should I say 100th post about Amari you realize His TEAMs leading receiver is the TE cooks at 400 yards this season..Amari has had 2 100 yard Rec games this year, 2 1000 receiving seasons, hes only 24, sure a first was reach but lets get over it hes here, just some bad ones and can we equate the lack of production to just HIM or his Team? im betting when Mack was let go some vets on that team just start trying very hard.. remember Moss in OAK seem to be playing half speed they said his career was over he wasn't trying, then he gets to NE and had some of his best years set records..Kurt Warner with the Giants horrible goes to Cardinals and has a career resurgence.. sometimes a team change can help..he obviously was hurt one game with a concussion recently..
Yea but those guys went to teams with better coaching and a system that needed a tweak or two in order to thrive. Our identity will make Cooper a non factor.

BigD49

Reaction score
So, we keep the disgruntled Hurns over Butler.
We keep Thompson(and potentially lose the 4th round comp pick) over Butler.

Butler isn't good, but I don't see why we cut him before those two.
Hurns has a worse catch % than Dez and has talked to reporters twice about the lack of targets.
Thompson is a JAG receiver and after giving away a 1st for Cooper, an extra 4th would be nice, especially when Thompson isn't in any plans after 2019. I hope.
I've seen the whole "get a 4th rounder" for cutting Thompson a few places now...can you walk me through that? Can we really recoup that high of a pick for letting a guy that signed a 1 yr $2.5mm contract go this late in the season? If that's actually true, why is he still on this team lol that should be a no brainer

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
If you hated Dez's drops last year, man you might want to watch another team Cooper is just as bad if not worse...
I guess you're right...to a point. Cooper only has TWO drops this year while Dez has zero. :huh: Cooper's 2018 Catch Percentage (~71%) is better than Robert Woods, Demaryius Thomas, Tyreek Hill, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Julian Edelman, Odell Beckham, DeAndre Hopkins & Davante Adams to name a few. That's one heck of a list, if you ask me, and Cooper has been better than all of them, in terms of catching the ball.

John813

Reaction score
I've seen the whole "get a 4th rounder" for cutting Thompson a few places now...can you walk me through that? Can we really recoup that high of a pick for letting a guy that signed a 1 yr $2.5mm contract go this late in the season? If that's actually true, why is he still on this team lol that should be a no brainer

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...n-cam-fleming-anthony-hitchens2019-nfl-draft/

This can explain it better and in more detail than I can.

Snip*

All is not lost. Dallas can still remove a player by releasing either Fleming or Thompson before Week 10 of the season. That’s when a player locks in their qualified status with their new team.

BigD49

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...n-cam-fleming-anthony-hitchens2019-nfl-draft/

This can explain it better and in more detail than I can.

Snip*

All is not lost. Dallas can still remove a player by releasing either Fleming or Thompson before Week 10 of the season. That’s when a player locks in their qualified status with their new team.
Ah got it - it was the total # of CFA point that I was missing. I had always thought that a lost player with a huge contract would trump a signed player with a smaller contract and result in a pick regardless. Thanks for the clarification

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here's an idea. Why don't we cut Thompson, and promote Lenoir? He's not a bad KR (though, I'm not sure I trust him at PR just yet), and I think he's earned a go at the full squad.

John813

Reaction score
If we cut Fleming, do we get the 4th back as well, or is that only if we cut Thompson?

Assume it's either or. But I'm not sure they will be willing to do that just in case Smith has another back flare up to where he can't play.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Nope.

The answer is Dez and it's always been Dez.

We got a worse WR in Cooper and it cost us a first round pick. They are morons.
That’s essentially the transaction - the trade is tantamount to Dez plus a first for Amari Cooper...that’s the domino effect in any case. What wud we have said had that been the case last year?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Assume it's either or. But I'm not sure they will be willing to do that just in case Smith has another back flare up to where he can't play.

Yes, so in that case, I think it makes more sense to cut Thompson, and I'd like to see us give Lenoir a go at the active roster.

tm1119

Reaction score

It’s purely based on # of players signed. A team can’t recieve comp picks if they signed the same amount or more free agents then they lost. Nothing to do with $, Fleming or Butler can be cut to regain the pick we should gain from the Hitchens contract to KC. Basically Cooper and Butler getting cut screwed us over. And yes it is a no brainer to cut Thompson...

glimmerman

Reaction score
Wonder how long before he will be on undisputed bashing us. Again.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I guess you're right...to a point. Cooper only has TWO drops this year while Dez has zero. :huh: Cooper's 2018 Catch Percentage (~71%) is better than Robert Woods, Demaryius Thomas, Tyreek Hill, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Julian Edelman, Odell Beckham, DeAndre Hopkins & Davante Adams to name a few. That's one heck of a list, if you ask me, and Cooper has been better than all of them, in terms of catching the ball.
All those guys are pretty much targeted more than Cooper even Thomas. He is targeted less than Zeke. His best Catch % year 2016 62.9% last year 50%

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree. Thompson was a cheap bandaid. Might as well see if Lenior can do anything or we can finally move on from him.

Exactly right, and Lenoir can return kicks like Thompson can, and probably for a fraction of the cost of Thompson. This would be the smart move imo. Pretty much an even swap, plus obtaining a 4th rounder.