BTB: Cowboys Kellen Moore is dealing from a stacked deck

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is how you write a sports article....Excellent piece from Tom Ryle.

===
It was exactly what Cowboys fans hoped for. After an offseason and camp that seemed full of promise for a much more potent and consistent offense, the Dallas Cowboys delivered in spades against the New York Giants. Records were set. The young offensive coordinator looked like he had been toying with defenses for years. The quarterback’s performance was one of his very best in a young career. All the wide receivers balled out. There were no sacks. And even the grizzled old veteran showed there was still some fire in the furnace, even if all the snow has melted off the roof.

Call it an embarrassment of riches. It gave us plenty of fodder to digest. And it raises some questions, in a totally good way: Was this because Kellen Moore was so brilliant in planning and calling the game? Or was it the full house of talent finally showing through?

Chicken? Or the egg?

If you haven’t read my hand yet, let me tell you that I think it is clearly a case where both are equally important in what we saw.

Moore was creative, unpredictable, aggressive, and demonstrated how motion, personnel packages, and alignments can be used to force the defense to show its hand, and then exploit the weak point. He opened the game with a pass out of 12 personnel. The frenetic motion on some plays thoroughly confused the Giants’ secondary. And there was a beautiful example of how Moore is willing to break trends. Bob Sturm of The Athletic had such a great description of the first and ten play from the third quarter that I will quote him rather than try to do it myself.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rom-a-stacked-deckdak-prescott-michael-gallup

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Call it an embarrassment of riches. It gave us plenty of fodder to digest. And it raises some questions, in a totally good way: Was this because Kellen Moore was so brilliant in planning and calling the game? Or was it the full house of talent finally showing through?

This has been my take since he became OC, I said exactly the same thing, the additions and growth of talent will be the main factor in this offense being better. Even heard Micheal Irvin say. Dak now has wrs that finally fit his skill set and that the wr works for him. Not like with Dez, who didnt fit hjs skill set.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'll prolly hit the click on yer' posted link,,, least way's I'm thinking about it anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This has been my take since he became OC, I said exactly the same thing, the additions and growth of talent will be the main factor in this offense being better. Even heard Micheal Irvin say. Dak now has wrs that finally fit his skill set and that the wr works for him. Not like with Dez, who didnt fit hjs skill set.

Is that while you were defending Linehan and his abysmal playcalling at every turn?

:huh:

Pass2Run

Reaction score

The thing is, it's both.

Not a dichotomy.

Is that while you were defending Linehan and his abysmal playcalling at every turn?

:huh:

Don't hate Linehan too much.

It was his idea to bring in Moore.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it's several things at play, here. The WRs are better, Dak has improved considerably, thanks in large part to Kitna, and Kellen Moore has added his Boise State playbook and his pre-snap adjustments to the Dallas repertoire. We might thank Sanjay Lal as well, since he's evidently done his part in coaching up his charges. Seems like a wealth of riches, indeed, have been added to our receiving corps. Ya gotta love it, m'friends! :)

Note: I wonder what might happen if Dalton Schultz gets his "mojo" going by, let's say, midseason or so! :omg:

Dare I say this, also? How's about Cedrick Wilson being activated as well??:thumbup:

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing is, it's both.

Not a dichotomy.

The player talent has been here. Now it's being paired with someone who can actually show some measure of creativity in playcalling. Much like the Rams, whose offense was terrible under Jeff Fisher and went from worst to first under Sean McVay. The shackles of bad coaching are off this offensive talent and they can now shine and show what they're capable of. Now, about that defense...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's several things at play, here. The WRs are better, Dak has improved considerably, thanks in large part to Kitna, and Kellen Moore has added his Boise State playbook and his pre-snap adjustments to the Dallas repertoire. We might thank Sanjay Lal as well, since he's evidently done his part in coaching up his charges. Seems like a wealth of riches, indeed, have been added to our receiving corps. Ya gotta love it, m'friends! :)

You're right, there are a lot of positive factors at work here.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The player talent has been here. Now it's being paired with someone who can actually show some measure of creativity in playcalling. Much like the Rams, whose offense was terrible under Jeff Fisher and went from worst to first under Sean McVay. The shackles of bad coaching are off this offensive talent and they can now shone and show what they're capable of. Now, about that defense...

I get what you are saying and I agree with it.

But you can't deny the talent has been upgraded as well.

Therefore, it's both.

And, yeah, about that defense.

If they get the dline playing better, I think they get it all rounded off.

The offense owes the defense as of late, though...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you are saying and I agree with it.

But you can't deny the talent has been upgraded as well.

Therefore, it's both.

To some extent, sure. Go up and down the roster, how many players out there are different from the halfway point last year? Cobb instead of Beasley?

But my point is that the cupboard wasn't bare before, the coaching was. The same players that are capable today were capable then too. A guy like Olawale for instance. Probably had more offensive plays Sunday than he did all of last year. We went from playing checkers to playing chess.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
To some extent, sure. Go up and down the roster, how many players out there are different from the halfway point last year? Cobb instead of Beasley?

But my point is that the cupboard wasn't bare before, the coaching was. The same players that are capable today were capable then too. A guy like Olawale for instance. Probably had more offensive plays Sunday than he did all of last year. We went from playing checkers to playing chess.

Witten and Jarwin, Gallup with another year.. Fredbeard..Dak has experience now.. Pollard.

But, point taken.

Again, I actually agree with you.

I like where we are right now.

It's perfect timing.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Witten and Jarwin, Gallup with another year.. Fredbeard..Dak has experience now.. Pollard.

But, point taken.

Again, I actually agree with you.

I like where we are right now.

It's perfect timing.
hes got you there stash, nothing like those players being back, having more experience, and a few new players..it does help..

BUT like I said in my posts repeatedly , its ONE GAME..we will see about stacked decks and new schemes and all this showering of anointing oil in about 6-8 weeks.. lets play NO on the road in hostile environment against a better coach and a QB waiting for revenge and then GB..i want to see his genius after those games..