BTB: Cowboys Kellen Moore is dealing from a stacked deck

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah, unlike you, who's consistently wrong! Prior to his canning, you were defending him at every turn. You know it, and I know it.
:laugh:

No you've just been consistently stupid to what was going on...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Oh, suddenly everybody's "developed". Is that the latest buzzword and excuse for bad coaching?

No it's exactly what everyone's said in the building and out. It's exactly what each individual has says. But again you're to ignorant to see it. Must've been living under a rock the past 3 months...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
It's what we did with the gas pedal pressed to the floor the entire game. In that game we took 4 quarters to score 36 points, and in this one we took a little over 2 1/2 quarters to score 35. This game we took our foot off the gas the entire 4th quarter and played not to make mistakes. In the 4th quarter we ran 14 plays, but only threw the ball twice. Cooper Rush played in the 4th quarter, and I believe Zeke, Martin and Tyron Smith all sat out all or most of the 4th quarter.

You also saw some of the same plays. I think Jarwin caught two passes down the seam for touchdowns just like he did Sunday

Blackrain

Reaction score
One thing that really impressed me was how prepared we looked running the new offense with Moore in charge . We never looked half that prepared in 4yrds and a cloud of dirt style offense under Linehan heck in that GB playoff game we couldnt even get players substituted properly .

Credit young Kellen for having everyone on the same page in a more complex offense then they have been used to.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jerry never understood the value of coaching. Fortunately, Stephen does. The coach must put the players in a position to succeed. The players must execute. A great job was done by all.

Honestly, if we're giving credit for the Kellen Moore thing, at least some of it has to go to Scott Linehan.

Not many actually know this. But Scott Linehan's nephew, Gabe, played with Moore at Boise St.

There's the connection.

Linehan knew about Moore from Boise St. and Xs and Os guy, and brought him to Dallas when Moore was still a player.

But Linehan was smart enough to bring him in.

If you watch this video, you'll see why I expect Jason Witten will score a lot more.

TEs in general will score a lot more.

If you just want to be excited about Moore, and what he does, watch this.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That wasn't typical Cowboys football. They used the passing game to set up the run. When's the last time you saw the Cowboys use a triple option to set up a Zeke Elliot TD run? The play-action was executed so precisely. Kellen Moore is lucky to have the talent to execute his plays, that's one thing. But the talent is lucky to have Kellen Moore to draw up the innovative nuances that he's added, and in some cases remolded into our offense. They enhance each other so consider it a good marriage of coaching and players.

There are 5-10 articles describing IN DETAIL EXACTLY what was different about Moore's offense compared to what we have seen.

In case the Garrett apologists couldnt tell what they were watching.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There are 5-10 articles describing IN DETAIL EXACTLY what was different about Moore's offense compared to what we have seen.

In case the Garrett apologists couldnt tell what they were watching.
I saw a few of those articles but I didn't need them to know the play calling by KM and the execution by the team on Sunday was a special thing to watch. I'm shocked by how many folks are saying they don't see how KM made a difference. It's like you say, they "couldn't tell what they were watching".

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Last time I stacked a deck I was accused of cheating. I expect to lose a draft pick now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I saw a few of those articles but I didn't need them to know the play calling by KM and the execution by the team on Sunday was a special thing to watch. I'm shocked by how many folks are saying they don't see how KM made a difference. It's like you say, they "couldn't tell what they were watching".

I only read a few. The 2 or 3 Garrett apologists that actually remain.

cern

Reaction score
Honestly, if we're giving credit for the Kellen Moore thing, at least some of it has to go to Scott Linehan.

Not many actually know this. But Scott Linehan's nephew, Gabe, played with Moore at Boise St.

There's the connection.

Linehan knew about Moore from Boise St. and Xs and Os guy, and brought him to Dallas when Moore was still a player.

But Linehan was smart enough to bring him in.

If you watch this video, you'll see why I expect Jason Witten will score a lot more.

TEs in general will score a lot more.

If you just want to be excited about Moore, and what he does, watch this.

He brought Moore here in 2015 because weedon and Cassel failed miserably and Moore was unemployed. But I'm quite certain he didn't bring in Moore to be his replacement. I had no idea about gabe playing with Moore. Interesting.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Kellen Moore has played 1 hand. I liked what I saw, but 1 game is 1 game. I wanna see what it looks like when he has to consistently develop game plans on a much tighter schedule than week 1 offers.

OT: Bob moved to a paid subscription service, eh? How long's he been at that site? I'll bite for the season, I like Sturm's material. Gotta say though, let's dial up the speed on those replays a bit. At least give me a good 2/3rds-speed replay before throttling down to 1/4th speed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You also saw some of the same plays. I think Jarwin caught two passes down the seam for touchdowns just like he did Sunday

I remember at least one of Jarwin’s TDs last year was like that - might have been two. If the seam was where the opportunity was, why not? You didn’t think they were going to scrap every pass pattern and create new ones that nobody has ever seen did you? That’s not really possible - the field is the same size and defenses only have so many seams and holes to run patterns in, and in every offense a seam pattern is a seam pattern, and a post is a post and a slant is a slant. Besides, they said all along many of the basic plays would be the same, and it would just be how they disguised things with pre snap movement and when plays are called that would be different.

Dre11

Reaction score
I remember at least one of Jarwin’s TDs last year was like that - might have been two. If the seam was where the opportunity was, why not? You didn’t think they were going to scrap every pass pattern and create new ones that nobody has ever seen did you? That’s not really possible - the field is the same size and defenses only have so many seams and holes to run patterns in, and in every offense a seam pattern is a seam pattern, and a post is a post and a slant is a slant. Besides, they said all along many of the basic plays would be the same, and it would just be how they disguised things with pre snap movement and when plays are called that would be different.

I agree, my point is you still see the same stuff after the motions. I still saw the stops, you still saw some throws under the sticks and rac to get first downs. The additions and development of Dak and Gallup is huge in what we saw Sunday. Especially Dak, we've heard all summer of how Dak looks totally different with his development and mechanics. You also saw that on Sunday. Don't get me wrong I like the tweaks . I talked about motions being good in Dez's last season but the word was he wasn't good at moving around. Was Dak ready for the shifting then?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, my point is you still see the same stuff after the motions. I still saw the stops, you still saw some throws under the sticks and rac to get first downs. The additions and development of Dak and Gallup is huge in what we saw Sunday. Especially Dak, we've heard all summer of how Dak looks totally different with his development and mechanics. You also saw that on Sunday. Don't get me wrong I like the tweaks . I talked about motions being good in Dez's last season but the word was he wasn't good at moving around. Was Dak ready for the shifting then?

I agree there are other factors. Dak may have changed some things, and I know he looked much more confident and dececisive. Naturally some plays will be recognizable, but not everything is the same stuff after the motion. Again, a much more vertical element to the offense, both downfield and just going over the middle on intermediate routes. The middle of the field was largely ignored in past years other than short curls etc … And sure, a few throws were short of the sticks, which is just going to be the case sometimes depending on the defense, but one difference is that the throws short of the sticks were with the receiver on the move with his momentum headed toward the first down marker rather than a turnaround pattern where a receiver had to turn back around after catching the ball and start from an almost stationary position to try and get the first down. I remember that being something Norv Turner used to talk about - getting the ball to receivers on the move to give them a chance to make more yardage after the catch.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
I agree there are other factors. Dak may have changed some things, and I know he looked much more confident and dececisive. Naturally some plays will be recognizable, but not everything is the same stuff after the motion. Again, a much more vertical element to the offense, both downfield and just going over the middle on intermediate routes. The middle of the field was largely ignored in past years other than short curls etc … And sure, a few throws were short of the sticks, which is just going to be the case sometimes depending on the defense, but one difference is that the throws short of the sticks were with the receiver on the move with his momentum headed toward the first down marker rather than a turnaround pattern where a receiver had to turn back around after catching the ball and start from an almost stationary position to try and get the first down. I remember that being something Norv Turner used to talk about - getting the ball to receivers on the move to give them a chance to make more yardage after the catch.

You don't have to take my word. Go listen to the Cowboy hour. Go listen to Dak talk about his maturation. Also just today on 105.3 the fan go listen to Broaddus talk about Dak s improvement on throwing the ball down the middle of the field. As far as the down the field element , the Giants sold out to stop the run do you're going to get those looks. It also goes back to Kitna telling Dak to trust his eyes and let the ball go, he's not holding it anymore . He's letting it rip. I'm serious go listen. The cowboys' hour has an interview with Dak talking about his progress.

Dre11

Reaction score
the middle of the field was ignored because Dak wasnt comfortable throwing down the middle. You guys don't follow the team enough . I'll say go listen to Broaddus on 105.3 the fan on this very issue this morning. Also this was an article before the season.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the middle of the field was ignored because Dak wasnt comfortable throwing down the middle. You guys don't follow the team enough . I'll say go listen to Broaddus on 105.3 the fan on this very issue this morning. Also this was an article before the season.

But Dak didn't just wake up one morning and magically become comfortable throwing down the middle. That was the influence of Moore and Kitna, and a reflection of the kind of offense Moore wanted to run. Moore knew we needed to attack the middle of the field and that doing so would be part of the game planning, so it became imperative for Dak to get comfortable with that.