BTB: Cowboys Kellen Moore is dealing from a stacked deck

Dre11

Reaction score
But Dak didn't just wake up one morning and magically become comfortable throwing down the middle. That was the influence of Moore and Kitna, and a reflection of the kind of offense Moore wanted to run. Moore knew we needed to attack the middle of the field and that doing so would be part of the game planning, so it became imperative for Dak to get comfortable with that.

Dude he had all off-season, what do you think he did all off-season? Why do you think Kitna is here? And yes once the light comes on as Dak says it has, you gain confidence. What do you think they do during TC? Yeah Moore knew it just like they've always knew it . They called a lot of plays down the middle before he just wouldn't throw them. Here's an excerpt from an article in the off-season from Marcus Mosher. It's not new.

"And this isn’t to say that the Cowboys never run routes over or down the middle of the field. They do. The bootleg or rollout pass, for example, typically has a receiver run an intermediate or deep crossing route. They also call a lot of seam or vertical routes. Prescott simply doesn’t throw to them as often as his peers."

This from Kitna to Dak this off-season

Dallas Cowboys

✔@dallascowboys

QBs coach Jon Kitna, who has plenty of playing experience, gave a message to Dak Prescott and the rest of the passers that it’s time “let’er rip.” ..

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Last time I stacked a deck I was accused of cheating. I expect to lose a draft pick now.
You never need to stack a deck unless a life is on the line.
I mean, that's what the savant behind the 7-11 told me that one fateful evening.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude he had all off-season, what do you think he did all off-season? Why do you think Kitna is here? And yes once the light comes on as Dak says it has, you gain confidence. What do you think they do during TC? Yeah Moore knew it just like they've always knew it . They called a lot of plays down the middle before he just wouldn't throw them. Here's an excerpt from an article in the off-season from Marcus Mosher. It's not new.

"And this isn’t to say that the Cowboys never run routes over or down the middle of the field. They do. The bootleg or rollout pass, for example, typically has a receiver run an intermediate or deep crossing route. They also call a lot of seam or vertical routes. Prescott simply doesn’t throw to them as often as his peers."

This from Kitna to Dak this off-season

Dallas Cowboys

✔@dallascowboys

QBs coach Jon Kitna, who has plenty of playing experience, gave a message to Dak Prescott and the rest of the passers that it’s time “let’er rip.” ..

I didn't suggest he saying he didn’t have all off season to work on it, so I have no idea what point you think that makes. I was talking about WHY he was working on it. He had all off season the year before and all offseason the year before that too, but the difference this offseason is a different OC who intended to have a vertical element to the passing game, and a QB coach that preached making a read and letting it rip rather than being so cautious as to miss out on opportunities.

Dre11

Reaction score
I didn't suggest he saying he didn’t have all off season to work on it, so I have no idea what point you think that makes. I was talking about WHY he was working on it. He had all off season the year before and all offseason the year before that too, but the difference this offseason is a different OC who intended to have a vertical element to the passing game, and a QB coach that preached making a read and letting it rip rather than being so cautious as to miss out on opportunities.

The point I'm making is he wasn't comfortable his maturation and confidence is where he now take those shots. It started last season once Cooper got here. I don't know what's so hard to understand. It's not like they didn't call those types of passes previously.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the middle of the field was ignored because Dak wasnt comfortable throwing down the middle. You guys don't follow the team enough . I'll say go listen to Broaddus on 105.3 the fan on this very issue this morning. Also this was an article before the season.
The point I'm making is he wasn't comfortable his maturation and confidence is where he now take those shots. It started last season once Cooper got here. I don't know what's so hard to understand. It's not like they didn't call those types of passes previously.

You are contradicting yourself, first saying we didn't throw to the middle of the field before because Dak was uncomfortable doing so - as an effort to say this had nothing to do with Moore, but rather just Dak becoming comfortable - and then you argue they did throw to the middle of the field before.

I suppose you could be arguing that I am saying that they never, ever, ever, ever, ever threw to the middle before, but if so, that's nonsense. What I'm sayiang is it was uncommon before, but it was common this past Sunday.

I understand that we have just had one game with Moore as OC, and one game does not cement him in as a bonafide star at OC, but your refusal to even acknowledge the difference in play calling is a baffling.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself, first saying we didn't throw to the middle of the field before because Dak was uncomfortable doing so - as an effort to say this had nothing to do with Moore, but rather just Dak becoming comfortable - and then you argue they did throw to the middle of the field before.

I suppose you could be arguing that I am saying that they never, ever, ever, ever, ever threw to the middle before, but if so, that's nonsense. What I'm sayiang is it was uncommon before, but it was common this past Sunday.

I understand that we have just had one game with Moore as OC, and one game does not cement him in as a bonafide star at OC, but your refusal to even acknowledge the difference in play calling is a baffling.

I meant to say Dak wasn't because he wasn't comfortable, that's been reported by more than 1 person, 2 . I acknowledged the motions and presentation tweaks, I don't know where you're coming from with that bs. Even yourself know the concepts ,plays are pretty much the same, as they've alluded to. 3. To tie up what I said multiple times , Dak is taking the shots down the middle that he wasn't last season until after he proclaimed the light came on for him. What I said was it was there last season. I defended Moore from day 1 as far back to when they hired him as a qb coach. If you know me I'm not a big playcalling guy, even though I do it in HS. I'm more about player execution and I see guys on top of their game especially Dak. This team is going as far as the players take them.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is a crock. There’s been talent here before. You still need quality coaching. The funny thing is if linehan or Garrett we’re calling plays the argument would switch back to a lack of talent or poor execution.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
Man I totally agree. After last year I said, there is no way we shouldnt already have a SB appearance with this amount of talent, and blamed the coaching. I've seen teams with way less talent go to and win a superbowl. That falls on coaching. Did we upgrade? Yes for sure, but we have been stacked for years. It is 100% the coaching and so far it seems like an answer to coaching has been found.

To some extent, sure. Go up and down the roster, how many players out there are different from the halfway point last year? Cobb instead of Beasley?

But my point is that the cupboard wasn't bare before, the coaching was. The same players that are capable today were capable then too. A guy like Olawale for instance. Probably had more offensive plays Sunday than he did all of last year. We went from playing checkers to playing chess.