BTB: Cowboys Kellen Moore is dealing from a stacked deck

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak has always had the tools and now he has elite (yes, I said elite) talent at WR and OL. As long as Moore can keep it up, Dak should make those "2016 was his peak" arguments go where they belong.
:flagwave::flagwave:

Dre11

Reaction score
The player talent has been here. Now it's being paired with someone who can actually show some measure of creativity in playcalling. Much like the Rams, whose offense was terrible under Jeff Fisher and went from worst to first under Sean McVay. The shackles of bad coaching are off this offensive talent and they can now shine and show what they're capable of. Now, about that defense...

Huh? There has never been this much talent here. There's an upgrade at every skill position except qb. But Dak ain't now slouch and has arrived.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was no need to defend it once Cooper showed up , was it? There was no reason to defend it after Dak admitted it clicked for him late last year, was it? It's exactly what I've said, once you have players that can execute, it changes perception. Is Dak more aggressive ? Sure, but as he said it clicked, he has the players to be aggressive. You saw that last season vs Giants, you saw it last season vs Rams.

And you saw Scott Linehan rightly fired.

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? There has never been this much talent here. There's an upgrade at every skill position except qb. But Dak ain't now slouch and has arrived.

How many different faces are there? You want to once again have everything be about players and absolve coaching of any role or responsibility. Sorry, no sale.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call it an embarrassment of riches. It gave us plenty of fodder to digest. And it raises some questions, in a totally good way: Was this because Kellen Moore was so brilliant in planning and calling the game? Or was it the full house of talent finally showing through?

This has been my take since he became OC, I said exactly the same thing, the additions and growth of talent will be the main factor in this offense being better. Even heard Micheal Irvin say. Dak now has wrs that finally fit his skill set and that the wr works for him. Not like with Dez, who didnt fit hjs skill set.

But you have to admit the play calling was different than in the past - much more aggressive, much more motion, much more of a vertical element to the passing game.

Something that struck me is that instead of just trying to gain a few yards to help with field position on 3rd and long, we actually were aggressive trying to convert the 1st down. Seems in the past we played it safe to keep from making a mistake and accepted that we would gain a few yards and punt.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Love how these sports writers cruise OUR FORUMS for a couple days, steal everyone's ideas and adjectives here, then take credit for an original story. o_O
Pay us now! :angry:

Some do; it's cool.

They're supposed to research.

I'm not tripping. I get paid to write news; just not about the Cowboys.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That wasn't typical Cowboys football. They used the passing game to set up the run. When's the last time you saw the Cowboys use a triple option to set up a Zeke Elliot TD run? The play-action was executed so precisely. Kellen Moore is lucky to have the talent to execute his plays, that's one thing. But the talent is lucky to have Kellen Moore to draw up the innovative nuances that he's added, and in some cases remolded into our offense. They enhance each other so consider it a good marriage of coaching and players.

Dre11

Reaction score
And you saw Scott Linehan rightly fired.

Lol... a lot of people been fired here. Usually they're considered a scapegoat for Jason, now he was rightly fired. You people are so inconsistent...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
How many different faces are there? You want to once again have everything be about players and absolve coaching of any role or responsibility. Sorry, no sale.

Let's see Cooper, Cobb, a developed Gallup, a developed Dak. Are you trying to say the the talent on offense isn't better..lol

Dre11

Reaction score
But you have to admit the play calling was different than in the past - much more aggressive, much more motion, much more of a vertical element to the passing game.

Something that struck me is that instead of just trying to gain a few yards to help with field position on 3rd and long, we actually were aggressive trying to convert the 1st down. Seems in the past we played it safe to keep from making a mistake and accepted that we would gain a few yards and punt.

More aggressive and motions yes, but if you remember it's what went did vs Giants last season without Zeke. Go watch that game

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol... a lot of people been fired here. Usually they're considered a scapegoat for Jason, now he was rightly fired. You people are so inconsistent...lol

Yeah, unlike you, who's consistently wrong! Prior to his canning, you were defending him at every turn. You know it, and I know it.
:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see Cooper, Cobb, a developed Gallup, a developed Dak. Are you trying to say the the talent on offense isn't better..lol

Oh, suddenly everybody's "developed". Is that the latest buzzword and excuse for bad coaching?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More aggressive and motions yes, but if you remember it's what went did vs Giants last season without Zeke. Go watch that game

It's what we did with the gas pedal pressed to the floor the entire game. In that game we took 4 quarters to score 36 points, and in this one we took a little over 2 1/2 quarters to score 35. This game we took our foot off the gas the entire 4th quarter and played not to make mistakes. In the 4th quarter we ran 14 plays, but only threw the ball twice. Cooper Rush played in the 4th quarter, and I believe Zeke, Martin and Tyron Smith all sat out all or most of the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yeah, unlike you, who's consistently wrong! Prior to his canning, you were defending him at every turn. You know it, and I know it.
:laugh:

If he's right will you say it with the same level of enthusiasm?

In bold?

:)

Is there another Dre on this site?

Dre is short for Andre, so chances are yeah...

I have two friends both named Dre, and they know each other.

It gets confusing. haha

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think it's several things at play, here. The WRs are better, Dak has improved considerably, thanks in large part to Kitna, and Kellen Moore has added his Boise State playbook and his pre-snap adjustments to the Dallas repertoire. We might thank Sanjay Lal as well, since he's evidently done his part in coaching up his charges. Seems like a wealth of riches, indeed, have been added to our receiving corps. Ya gotta love it, m'friends! :)

All the stars were aligned for a big bump in performance relative to last if Moore had been merely competent. Linehan wasn't. And we've got better players this year, almost all returning. Ironically, Kitna over Moore at QB coach is another bump up in personnel for the team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
All the stars were aligned for a big bump in performance relative to last if Moore had been merely competent. Linehan wasn't. And we've got better players this year, almost all returning. Ironically, Kitna over Moore at QB coach is another bump up in personnel for the team.

Sometimes, good fortune is the mother of excellence, at times. One man's termination is oftentimes another man's door to success. Funny how things just seem to fall into place now and then. Kitna came along just in time to replace Moore, while Moore in turn was destined to replace Linehan. Crazy, huh? If that's not enough, Devin Smith and Cedrick Wilson added yet two more fine WRs to those already here. Unbelievable. We've been blessed! Maybe Taco being traded for a 5th or 6th round pick is the next miracle in line. Hey, it could happen . . . we're on a roll. ;)

Last edited:

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I read the whole article, my favorite line in it ......Just enjoy what we saw, and look forward to what is dealt against Washington!

Wolfpack

Reaction score
There is also the “new” factor of what Moore was running. The Giants has no idea what was coming and looked confused on many plays with their assignments.

Each week the next defense has another week of film and tendency to study. I really like what Moore has done and hope he stays on his toes