News: BTB: Dak Was Never the Problem, It Was the Receivers. Here’s the Proof

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would call Dak a "Franchise QB" yet, but I can tell you the potential is there. In 2016, he was playing with house money. Expectations were low. He was surrounded with exceptional talent. It gave him the opportunity to let his positive attributes shine through and by late in the season, his confidence was off the charts. In 2017, more was expected of him. He became the face of the franchise after Romo was not retained. The problems on the line and Zeke's suspension magnified his flaws and he became exposed as teams knew his tendencies. His vaunted rookie poise took some hits and he seemed to rattle easier. He was required to win games himself down the stretch and under the circumstances, he did not play well. This is not to say that his 2017 was a bust. It wasn't, but there were a heck of a lot of humbling moments for him.

The talent is there for Dak, but now he has to seriously hone his skills and mechanics. He has had some serious flaws in his game. That is true of most young QBs (especially those who are not high draft picks). I am optimistic for Dak and am rooting for him. I'm just tired of everybody blaming everything under the sun for Dak's problems, when a lot of this falls on Dak.

Now that he has two years under his belt he should be able to take a step forward. No excuses. Just get better and perform.
Good points, I agree. Good post

Jipper

Reaction score
No doubt. Dak limited his YAC many times by not leading his receiver.

Really hope he does a better job of that this year....he has to learn the game a bit better too and build some chemistry with the wrs

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
No doubt. Dak limited his YAC many times by not leading his receiver.

And Dak's receivers cost him a bunch of completions and yards (and often created turnovers instead) by dropping the ball or not adjusting to deep passes.

Cap12

Reaction score
And Dak's receivers cost him a bunch of completions and yards (and often created turnovers instead) by dropping the ball or not adjusting to deep passes.
On the two picks thrown to Dez, both throws were catchable but off target. One was behind Dez and his momentum and the velocity of the throw made it a tricky catch. The other was thrown low (but certainly an easier catch than the other). Should Dez have caught them? Sure. Should Dak had thrown them better? Yep. Dak Prescott's accuracy is below average at this point in his career. Garrett says it. Linehan says it. Dak even acknowledges it. Pity a lot of fans don't.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Even the good stats he put up he never displayed a good arm. The offense was a machine of efficiency and he hit the first read.

I mean you don’t gotta call me blind or whatever were debating the abilities of a stranger.
If you don't see how good he is then calling you blind is appropriate. Stop being offended by the truth. Agree to disagree but that's how I see it... pun intended. I think he does have a good arm plus he's mobile and ready to take the role of leader of the offense now that Witten has retired.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
On the two picks thrown to Dez, both throws were catchable but off target. One was behind Dez and his momentum and the velocity of the throw made it a tricky catch. The other was thrown low (but certainly an easier catch than the other). Should Dez have caught them? Sure. Should Dak had thrown them better? Yep. Dak Prescott's accuracy is below average at this point in his career. Garrett says it. Linehan says it. Dak even acknowledges it. Pity a lot of fans don't.

Neither Garrett nor Linehan nor Dak has ever said Dak's accuracy is "below average."

Four different sources that evaluate quarterback accuracy have named Dak as one of the most accurate passers in the league last season, especially when adjusting for length of throws. How is that even possible if he is as inaccurate as some fans claim? How many of these same fans have watched and charted every pass by every quarterback last season and compared each one for accuracy, for how often receivers made catches or did not make catches? Is there some grand conspiracy among all of these different analytical sources to overstate Dak's accuracy and understate how great our receivers performed last season?

Pity a lot of fans would rather rely on conjecture and unsubstantiated opinions than actual analysis of every pass he threw.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If you don't see how good he is then calling you blind is appropriate. Stop being offended by the truth. Agree to disagree but that's how I see it... pun intended. I think he does have a good arm plus he's mobile and ready to take the role of leader of the offense now that Witten has retired.
I’m not offended you just wasted my time by providing a counter argument that was essentially “Nuh uh get your eyes checked”.

Idk we’ll see. Bump this thread if I’m wrong. The guy has no touch. Doesn’t lead his receivers to open areas. Doesn’t throw a catchable ball the way romo did. Imo if the play was designed perfectly and the defense is scared enough of zeke we may have a first read so wide open that dak just throw it AT the guy and let him get it. A lot of qbs will know where each wr likes the ball. Some like it at the chest some eye level etc. I don’t think dak will ever be able to get the that level of accuracy

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Neither Garrett nor Linehan nor Dak has ever said Dak's accuracy is "below average."

Four different sources that evaluate quarterback accuracy have named Dak as one of the most accurate passers in the league last season, especially when adjusting for length of throws. How is that even possible if he is as inaccurate as some fans claim? How many of these same fans have watched and charted every pass by every quarterback last season and compared each one for accuracy, for how often receivers made catches or did not make catches? Is there some grand conspiracy among all of these different analytical sources to overstate Dak's accuracy and understate how great our receivers performed last season?

Pity a lot of fans would rather rely on conjecture and unsubstantiated opinions than actual analysis of every pass he threw.
You can analyze a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls *** but I’d rather take the butchers word for it

Last edited:

zerofill

Reaction score

I watched every Cowboys game last season, and I saw the majorly flawed mechanics, late passes, open receivers not seen, etc... Short checkdown passes can make your accuracy stats look phenominal. But if you watched all the games last year, you would be as critical about the QB play as many people were. If the short dump off passes are taken away, have to be able to do something to make it happen. Extend the plays somehow, get the ball to someone down field.

Like I said earlier... if he has fixed the issues great! But this season will tell us if he is the QB or not 100%. The offense is being structured for him.

I'm not talking about making the Super Bowl either... Like I said, I just want to at least see a Case Keenum, Jared Goff 2017 like season, for our QB.

If that can't happen after all the changes to become "Dak Friendly" then it will never be Dak friendly.

It is the NFL, you aren't going to get college separation. You will need to read the defense prior to the snap, and you will need to scan the field and find those open guys you didn't see last year. You will need to extend pays, to get the receivers open in the secondary... You will need to put the ball where only the receiver can get it (throwing them open). You will need to sense pressure... That is all just part of the NFL game...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m not offended you just wasted my time by providing a counter argument that was essentially “Nuh uh get your eyes checked”.

Idk we’ll see. Bump this thread if I’m wrong. The guy has no touch. Doesn’t lead his receivers to open areas. Doesn’t throw a catchable ball the way romo did. Imo if the play was designed perfectly and the defense is scared enough of zeke we may have a first read so wide open that dak just throw it AT the guy and let him get it. A lot of qbs will know where each wr likes the ball. Some like it at the chest some eye level etc. I don’t think dak will ever be able to get the that level of accuracy
You really are blind. Dak would hit his receivers in the hands and they'd drop it or worse tip it up to be intercepted. Seems you are only interested in bashing our good QB. I see no reason to continue this converstation. How do you call yourself Cowboys fan?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
You really are blind. Dak would hit his receivers in the hands and they'd drop it or worse tip it up to be intercepted. Seems you are only interested in bashing our good QB. I see no reason to continue this converstation. How do you call yourself Cowboys fan?
Is it possible to evaluate a player and be right? I didn’t like the mo claireborne pick and was right. I’m seeing flaws.

The qb position is nuanced. I think it’s more likely the qb had a rough time adjusting to defenses than the other way around where wr’s suddenly just ..aren’t good at catching. Why would that be ? Randomly dudes all drop passes. Ocams razor

Dre11

Reaction score
So you believe Dez Bryant turned down a big contract so he can torment the Cowboys? I have some Oklahoma ocean front property for sale. You interested? Right now Dez is going to be playing for a lot less than you think. Veteran minimum is not out of the question. You fan boys crack me up.

The Ravens confirmed it, Get with the news.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Is it possible to evaluate a player and be right? I didn’t like the mo claireborne pick and was right. I’m seeing flaws.

The qb position is nuanced. I think it’s more likely the qb had a rough time adjusting to defenses than the other way around where wr’s suddenly just ..aren’t good at catching. Why would that be ? Randomly dudes all drop passes. Ocams razor
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. You are mistaking being right about Mo for always being right which you are not... especially in this case. By the way, it's "Occam's razor". In two years of playing QB for the Cowboys, Dak earns league honors as Offensive Player of the Year and then has very similar stats the first half of his second season and then loses Tyron Smith(the guy that guards his blind side) and Zeke, the best RB in the league) and suddenly the offense can't do anything. Occam's razor says the simplest reason for this has something to do with Tyron Smith and Zeke not being on the field and not our good QB. Is that nuance enough for you?

Cap12

Reaction score

Nope. That's just editorializing on my part. They say "he's got improve" and Dak agrees. The numbers bear out how inaccurate he was in 2017. If they were happy with his progress they would have said something like, "we are happy with Dak's progress and are confident that he will continue to improve." Not "Everybody knows he's got to improve."

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...eting-kellen-moore-scott-linehan-wade-wilson/
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...cowboys-dak-prescott-a-tale-of-2-completions/

waving monkey

Reaction score
Many fans saw the incompletion as just on Dak when they didn't look at the whole play.
My bet is the off season Dak worked very hard on his game.

Cap12

Reaction score
Many fans saw the incompletion as just on Dak when they didn't look at the whole play.
My bet is the off season Dak worked very hard on his game.

I'm talking about the picks and Dez was vilified for both (despite Dak not making good throws on either). Again, catchable, but inaccurately thrown. I'd give most of the blame to Dak on the pass behind Dez and most of the blame to Dez on the low throw.