News: BTB: Dallas is hoping Dante Fowler will be Dan Quinn’s next reclamation project

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have benefited recently by reviving the careers of struggling edge rushers. Robert Quinn and Randy Gregory both experienced turnarounds with the star on their helmets.

When Dallas signed Quinn in 2019, he had four consecutive seasons of single-digit sacks. Quinn then went on to post 11.5 sacks for the Cowboys along with two forced fumbles.

The Cowboys are now looking for a resurgence out of defensive end Dante Fowler, the likely No. 2 edge rusher opposite of Demarcus Lawrence. The Cowboys signed Fowler to a one-year, $1.5 million dollar deal in March.

FULL STORY: Cowboys hoping Dante Fowler is Dan Quinn’s next reclamation project - Blogging The Boys

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have benefited recently by reviving the careers of struggling edge rushers. Robert Quinn and Randy Gregory both experienced turnarounds with the star on their helmets.

When Dallas signed Quinn in 2019, he had four consecutive seasons of single-digit sacks. Quinn then went on to post 11.5 sacks for the Cowboys along with two forced fumbles.

The Cowboys are now looking for a resurgence out of defensive end Dante Fowler, the likely No. 2 edge rusher opposite of Demarcus Lawrence. The Cowboys signed Fowler to a one-year, $1.5 million dollar deal in March.

FULL STORY: Cowboys hoping Dante Fowler is Dan Quinn’s next reclamation project - Blogging The Boys
We need this young man to step up and replace Randy's production.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We need this young man to step up and replace Randy's production.

Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Robert Quinn. I think he may do exactly that: fill in nicely for Randy Gregory. Plus, Sam Williams. I expect to see him at DE, and LB. But I think both players have the ability to be dynamic enough to rotate around the defensive front 7. And that's what Quinn likes.

Most of us trust Quinn. And I think he's exactly the coach who could reignite Fowler's career.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Robert Quinn. I think he may do exactly that: fill in nicely for Randy Gregory. Plus, Sam Williams. I expect to see him at DE, and LB. But I think both players have the ability to be dynamic enough to rotate around the defensive front 7. And that's what Quinn likes.

Most of us trust Quinn. And I think he's exactly the coach who could reignite Fowler's career.
I do trust Quinn, but you can only do so much as a coach.
Hopefully Fowler is not washed up.
We also lost a good LB, who's production has to be replaced as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Who will have 19 sacks and will leave us to go to the bears

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He's a jag, expect a jag performance. George selvie

Selvie had his best year as a pro his first year here, with seven sacks. I will gladly take Fowler's best year as a pro since his best now is 11.5 sacks. I'm not expecting it, though. However, I think Selvie is a poor comparison. Fowler's pressure numbers in his career are much greater than Selvie's ever were.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He's a jag, expect a jag performance. George selvie

I disagree. He hasn't played up to his 1st round status. But I don't think Dan Quinn is interested in bringing in JAGs. If any coach can get the most out of him, it's Quinn.

I do trust Quinn, but you can only do so much as a coach.
Hopefully Fowler is not washed up.
We also lost a good LB, who's production has to be replaced as well.

Between Fowler, Williams, Vander Esch, Parsons, Cox, Bell, Kearse, Sam, and several other guys, I think we'll be OK at LB, mostly because of how Quinn schemes players who play other positions to play LB.

I worry more about DT. As KSK likes to point out, it's the biggest question mark, to me, at least.

I fully expect to see safeties and some d-linemen as LBs next year.

Last edited:

jwitten82

Reaction score
I disagree. He hasn't played up to his 1st round status. But I don't think Dan Quinn is interested in bringing in JAGs. If any coach can get the most out of him, it's Quinn.

Between Fowler, Williams, Vander Esch, Parsons, Cox, Bell, Kearse, Sam, and several other guys, I think we'll be OK at LB, mostly because of how Quinn schemes players who play other positions to play LB.

I worry more about DT. As KSK likes to point out, it's the biggest question mark, to me, at least.

I fully expect to see safeties and some d-linemen as LBs next year.
No coach is interested in bringing in jags, but our FO has no issues with it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Like I have always said, reclamation is our tireless duty.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He produced at a much higher rate when playing with Aaron Donald than playing at any other stop of his career by far. As long as he doesnt take up much cap room not gonna complain but another one I need to see it before I believe it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FowlDa00.htm

I concur. I think he has a good shot to turn it around under Quinn. He's currently on a one-year, prove-it type deal, so not a whole lot is lost if he flops. I just don't think he'll flop here. I think there's a good chance he out sacks Randy Gregory in 2022, for much less money and a lot less headache.

Time will tell.

If he ends up being any good, that's great for the team. Because it means we can move Parsons and Williams around to get a greater impact from those two. And I think we have a lineup of players who can really frustrate opposing offenses.

I'm looking for the defense to improve quite a bit this year. I really like Joseph's ability in the passing game. And I think Vander Esch has a shot to turn it around from last year, given how well he played towards the end of the year. I'm hoping we're all in for a surprise when this defense takes the field.

Many beat writers think we lost a lot on defense. But I argue we actually gained in the offseason, and that several 2nd year players will find their niche and/or improve on their rookie years.

So, overall, we should be a better team defensively.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He produced at a much higher rate when playing with Aaron Donald than playing at any other stop of his career by far. As long as he doesnt take up much cap room not gonna complain but another one I need to see it before I believe it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FowlDa00.htm

DL, unlike OL, are not all or nothing because even players that would not be great starters can be significant contributors in a rotation.

i.e. Jimmie Jones type players.