News: BTB: Four compensatory picks give Cowboys 10 total picks in 2018 NFL Draft

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No, what I'm saying is that the Cowboys 2017 was a disaster. Everything they did and every decision they made was the wrong one.

I don't know if I can agree that every decision was the wrong one, but I agree that it was a disaster.

The decision to re-sign Cooper appears to have been a good one. The same with moving Collins to right tackle.

The decisions to draft Awusie, Lewis and Woods appears to be good ones. Jury's still out on Charlton.

That's about all the good I can think of.

If you're solely talking about the FA class, then outside of Cooper, I agree, although I did like some of what I saw from players we picked up later, particularly Brian Price and Datone Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if I can agree that every decision was the wrong one, but I agree that it was a disaster.

The decision to re-sign Cooper appears to have been a good one. The same with moving Collins to right tackle.

The decisions to draft Awusie, Lewis and Woods appears to be good ones. Jury's still out on Charlton.

That's about all the good I can think of.

If you're solely talking about the FA class, then outside of Cooper, I agree, although I did like some of what I saw from players we picked up later, particularly Brian Price and Datone Jones.

Yeah, it was specific to the signings that they made during free agency. Carroll, Paea, and the forgettable rest.

I agree with you on getting much of the other things right. The draft looks good - Taco included - and we seem to have a young secondary that can play.

And I like Price and Jones as well. I'd like to see Jones brought back for another look if the money makes sense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The key thing with Blanton was that he was signed right before the draft so that we didn't have to reach for a pick at Safety. Woods dropped to the 6th and we picked up him at a bargain cost, so it make Blanton expendable. If an OT had dropped to a bargain level, Byron Bell wouldn't have made the 53.

I applauded the signing of Blanton at the time because he had been at least been a starter (albeit in 2014) while we were relying on Heath to start. Granted, Heath also previously had been a starter, when he was a rookie, but was not very good at that time.

My problem with the Blanton signing and the Carroll signing is Dallas' free agent strategy. We were a 13-3 playoff team last year, then we let several players from that team go (I have no problem with that) and then replaced them with lower-quality FAs. You can't expect your team to improve when you take a step back with your veterans and have to depend on rookies because those vets prove to be exactly what the rest of the league thought they were — garbage.

Dallas has taken the stance that paying a high price for FAs doesn't pay off so now we only shop in the bargain bin. Dallas is too extreme with this strategy, and this is the result of that. I hope it motivates Jerry to shop for a few quality FAs who can actually supplement the roster that we're building.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I would much rather be a whiny little child that goes from thread to thread having temper tantrums over Nolan Carroll

No, be a "whiney child" that can't admit clear and obvious failure.

I bet your bedroom dresser is chock full of little participation trophys.

:laugh:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No, be a "whiney child" that can't admit clear and obvious failure.

I bet your bedroom dresser is chock full of little participation trophys.

:laugh:
You did the same thing last year over TCrawford and sounded just as ignorant then..... get a new thing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thing he isn't paid like one

Been there, done that.

Type it a million times, it doesn't make it any more true.

But let's not try to divert this thread any further, shall we?

Sydla

Reaction score
I completely disagree

We are good at QB, RB, OL, TE and have depth at WR that can be upgraded
We are good at DE with DLaw
We need a DT
We are good at LB ...strong if we resign Hitchens
We are good at CB
We are good at S

We need a WR1, RB3, OG/C2, DT2, LB2
We have 10 Draft picks and 50m in salary cap space

And this just proves you think way too highly of the talent on this team.

- We don't really know what we have at QB
- LT is a question mark at this point as it appears Smith's back is getting worse
- TE is a problem. All their eggs are in Gather's basket and it's unclear what he is.
- We are not "good" at LB or even strong if Hitchens comes back.
- We are not "good" at S. Jones is a mediocre S at best, Heath has shown he's nothing more than a dime DB and special teams guy. Woods has promise.

About the only thing you got right was CB looks solid and we need a legit 1 tech.

Also, lets note the folly of just assuming we will turn our draft picks into immediate contributors. It took almost a full season for the rookie defensive backs to make an impact.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And this just proves you think way too highly of the talent on this team.

- We don't really know what we have at QB
- LT is a question mark at this point as it appears Smith's back is getting worse
- TE is a problem. All their eggs are in Gather's basket and it's unclear what he is.
- We are not "good" at LB or even strong if Hitchens comes back.
- We are not "good" at S. Jones is a mediocre S at best, Heath has shown he's nothing more than a dime DB and special teams guy. Woods has promise.

About the only thing you got right was CB looks solid and we need a legit 1 tech.

Also, lets note the folly of just assuming we will turn our draft picks into immediate contributors. It took almost a full season for the rookie defensive backs to make an impact.
Look it's Pollyanna.......she just got hit by a truck

Dak, Tron, Zeke are top notch and I really like our D

Sydla

Reaction score
Look it's Pollyanna.......she just got hit by a truck

Dak, Tron, Zeke are top notch and I really like our D

How can anyone claim Dak is top notch at this point? And I am not a Dak hater by any stretch. I defended him for long stretches this year. But the reality is he's a question mark at this point.

And the defense? We are weak up the middle. We don't have a legit or dominant 1 Tech. MLB has questions and no, Hitchens is not the answer. Jaylon Smith isn't a MLB either, he's a WILL (frankly, I'd like to see them consider flipping Lee and Smith with Lee at MLB and Smith at WILL). And S is a question mark. Jones has continued to struggle in space and Heath simply wasn't good enough.

We seem good at CB and if Irving is back and Charlton continues to develop, DE should be fine as well. But the guts of the defense need serious help.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How can anyone claim Dak is top notch at this point? And I am not a Dak hater by any stretch. I defended him for long stretches this year. But the reality is he's a question mark at this point.

And the defense? We are weak up the middle. We don't have a legit or dominant 1 Tech. MLB has questions and no, Hitchens is not the answer. Jaylon Smith isn't a MLB either, he's a WILL (frankly, I'd like to see them consider flipping Lee and Smith with Lee at MLB and Smith at WILL). And S is a question mark. Jones has continued to struggle in space and Heath simply wasn't good enough.

We seem good at CB and if Irving is back and Charlton continues to develop, DE should be fine as well. But the guts of the defense need serious help.
None of those are big questions.....they are nit picks that can be easily addressed by 10 draft picks and50m in salary cap

Sydla

Reaction score
None of those are big questions.....they are nit picks that can be easily addressed by 10 draft picks and50m in salary cap

None are big questions?

Oy vey. As I said, you are way more bullish on the talent than most people.

Oh, and by the way, we don't even know what the FO will do in FA. You can cite all the cap space you want but until this FO actually uses FA to build a better team instead of bargain bin losers like Nolan Carroll, it seems like wishful thinking.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
None are big questions?

Oy vey. As I said, you are way more bullish on the talent than most people.

Oh, and by the way, we don't even know what the FO will do in FA. You can cite all the cap space you want but until this FO actually uses FA to build a better team instead of bargain bin losers like Nolan Carroll, it seems like wishful thinking.
They skip FA when going for Comp Picks....guys like Carroll and Paea and Blanton are churn

We don't have many top FAs leaving this year so it is not a good year for Comp Picks

It is a good year to re-sign DLaw, Hitchens, Cooper and Tender D Irving
Add a DT like Poe and the Draft is an open book

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yeah, it was specific to the signings that they made during free agency. Carroll, Paea, and the forgettable rest.

I would argue bringing TWill back instead of a better WR made the FA pickups even worse. He was a bargain signing but we still gave a starting spot to a guy that averaged 35 yards per game.

The draft was strong and the internal development was fine, but the outside FA pickups was definitely a trainwreck.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They skip FA when going for Comp Picks....guys like Carroll and Paea and Blanton are churn

We don't have many top FAs leaving this year so it is not a good year for Comp Picks

It is a good year to re-sign DLaw, Hitchens, Cooper and Tender D Irving
Add a DT like Poe and the Draft is an open book

Pretty easy to add a WR, WLB, OT and DT the draft, plus sign a WR like Allan Robinson if he is healthy, plus FA depth at OT, LB and DT.

That fills all the holes and you still have plenty of money left over.

Sydla

Reaction score
Pretty easy to add a WR, WLB, OT and DT the draft, plus sign a WR like Allan Robinson if he is healthy, plus FA depth at OT, LB and DT.

That fills all the holes and you still have plenty of money left over.

Agree but we need more than depth at DT. They need a legitimate starter at the 1 Tech IMO if Marinelli is back.