News: BTB: How The Cowboys Can Blow Up The Roster And Start From The Bottom

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think Carter has damaged his reputation severely this season to the point I strongly doubt we could get more than a late round choice for him.

No team is going to want to trade much for a quitter.

You're probably right.

Late round choice might still be better than nothing. I mean, is this a guy you would want to re-sign at this point?

It's a roll of the dice, as most things are. But I wouldn't put my money on Carter unless we're switching back to a 3-4 under.

SacramentoKing

Nunez21
Reaction score
If you're really being this aggressive you might as well trade Dez for a 2014 1st plus an additional pick.

I agree if we are going to rebuild might as well move Dez. The money from the massive contract he's going to get will be a waste on a losing team that needs those resources spread out over the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
t
Was this lifted from threads I've made saying the exact same thing?
That article is a mess. He appears to be cutting young, inexpensive players for no reason. Was Darrion Weems a cut?

They just need to cut Ware, Austin and maybe Free. Signing free agents is ok if they're young. Just avoid Hatcher and other over 30 players unless they are really cheap.

They need to build for 2015 because they have to keep Romo but need more than 1 year to upgrade the roster.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That's a very aggressive plan.

That would be quite a bit of change in one offseason. I'd be pretty interested in seeing where that all led, that's for sure.

The only thing I wouldn't do, and I'll admit right now it's completely out of bias, is I wouldn't get rid of Witten in any of that. Witten can not, and should not, ever play for another team.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
t
That article is a mess. He appears to be cutting young, inexpensive players for no reason. Was Darrion Weems a cut?

They just need to cut Ware, Austin and maybe Free. Signing free agents is ok if they're young. Just avoid Hatcher and other over 30 players unless they are really cheap.

They need to build for 2015 because they have to keep Romo but need more than 1 year to upgrade the roster.

If you look at our cap situation you can see it'll take more than just Ware and Austin. Guys like Carr and probably Scandrick need to go as well. Basically anyone who isn't worth the money they are making needs to go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you look at our cap situation you can see it'll take more than just Ware and Austin. Guys like Carr and probably Scandrick need to go as well. Basically anyone who isn't worth the money they are making needs to go.

Why? Carr and Scandrick are 27 and 26. Scandrick is a starter now and has a good very reasonable salary for a starter. They seem to stay healthy better than most of the other players on defense.

They can save 21.25M next season by cutting Ware, Austin and Free. They'll be done with the dead-money from Ratliff after 2014. Spencer will not be counting 10.6M against the cap like he is this year. They could save another 3.25M by cutting Orton.

That's 24.5M that they could save with a minimal effect on the roster. Ware and Austin are toast and I'm confident that Parnell can replace Free. If Romo is injured, they don't have enough talent to win with a backup QB anyway. Hatcher had a 2.6M cap hit in 2013 which will also be gone.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I understand why a post like this is made.

What I do not understand is how anyone thinks that anything like this will actually happen given who runs this franchise.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Like who? Not all young QBs will be successful.

true. That's why you take a midround shot at a qb every 2 or 3 seasons. These guys can develop while they backup at a decent cost on the cap and if you have a good starter and backup you deal the backup if he nears his 1st big contract 4 years in.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand why a post like this is made.

What I do not understand is how anyone thinks that anything like this will actually happen given who runs this franchise.

I think most of us like to speculate on what could or should happen regardless of what will happen.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think most of us like to speculate on what could or should happen regardless of what will happen.

So why do people who suggest getting a real general manager get shouted down by the general populace?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true. That's why you take a midround shot at a qb every 2 or 3 seasons. These guys can develop while they backup at a decent cost on the cap and if you have a good starter and backup you deal the backup if he nears his 1st big contract 4 years in.

Acquiring a developmental QB is tricky.

There is no point drafting one early for a team that has a reasonable starter in place for several more years.

The problem with drafting one in the mid-rounds is that they are unlikely to be able to win the #2 QB spot which forces the team to carry 3 QBs.

The ideal situation would be to find a young QB that is good enough to be the #2 without having to use a premium pick on him. It would be great to find somebody like UDFA now starter, Matt McGloin.

I'm curious about a guy like Tyler Wilson. He was projected as a 1st rounder at one time. He went to the Raiders in the 4th round in 2013 and was recently cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why do people who suggest getting a real general manager get shouted down by the general populace?

It is redundant. How many times do people need to post issues with the GM? Even the most far fetched plans that get posted that don't involve the GM are 10,000 times more likely to happen than for Jerry to step down as the GM. The plan is this thread and many others have some chance of happening. Jerry stepping down has zero chance of happening.

Alexander

Reaction score
It is redundant. How many times do people need to post issues with the GM? Even the most far fetched plans that get posted that don't involve the GM are 10,000 times more likely to happen than for Jerry to step down as the GM. The plan is this thread and many others have some chance of happening. Jerry stepping down has zero chance of happening.

So, because this is a little less of a repetitive subject, it makes any more sense?

Jerry Jones will not blow up this team. He will not because first, he can not and second he will not because he will spend the next 2-3 seasons believing this season was some anomaly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Acquiring a developmental QB is tricky.

There is no point drafting one early for a team that has a reasonable starter in place for several more years.

The problem with drafting one in the mid-rounds is that they are unlikely to be able to win the #2 QB spot which forces the team to carry 3 QBs.

The ideal situation would be to find a young QB that is good enough to be the #2 without having to use a premium pick on him. It would be great to find somebody like UDFA now starter, Matt McGloin.

I'm curious about a guy like Tyler Wilson. He was projected as a 1st rounder at one time. He went to the Raiders in the 4th round in 2013 and was recently cut.

I'd certainly take a look at him.

In fact, I'd be doing quite a but of churning right now.

Webb, Lawrence, and Tanner aren't doing a thing to warrant sticking around anyway.

Maybe we can also take a look at the CFL's best pass rusher?

Alexander

Reaction score
I'd

We were once hot on the trail of Cameron Wake thanks to Sammy Garza and his CFL connections.

But that all went away when both Jerry Jones and his stooge Wade Phillips proclaimed the roster was set.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd certainly take a look at him.

In fact, I'd be doing quite a but of churning right now.

Webb, Lawrence, and Tanner aren't doing a thing to warrant sticking around anyway.

Yes, not only does being in the playoff hunt until the very last game of the season has ramifications. Obviously, if you don't make the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7 you lose double because you also don't get a top 10 pick; however, in addition to the draft pick penalty, you lose the chance to add developmental players and raid other teams practice squads. There are a multitude of street free agents like Tyler Wilson and 248 practice squad players available to be signed. There is high probability that a few of those players have value.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, because this is a little less of a repetitive subject, it makes any more sense?

Jerry Jones will not blow up this team. He will not because first, he can not and second he will not because he will spend the next 2-3 seasons believing this season was some anomaly.

It's kind of like a mock draft. Many people enjoy them despite the fact that they probably won't come true. How enjoyable would this mock draft be:
1st: Jerry Sucks
2nd: Jerry Sucks
3rd: Jerry Sucks
4th: Jerry Sucks
5th: Jerry Sucks
6th: Jerry Sucks
7th: Jerry Sucks