News: BTB: How The Cowboys Can Blow Up The Roster And Start From The Bottom

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's kind of like a mock draft. Many people enjoy them despite the fact that they probably won't come true. How enjoyable would this mock draft be:
1st: Jerry Sucks
2nd: Jerry Sucks
3rd: Jerry Sucks
4th: Jerry Sucks
5th: Jerry Sucks
6th: Jerry Sucks
7th: Jerry Sucks

At least it would be a lot more accurate than most mocks.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Wait, I thought Garrett and Jerry had some master 3 year plan. Haven't we been told that this team is getting younger and we cut all the malcontents because they weren't the RKG? Now I'm confused.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He recommends cutting these players:

Offense (8):
Jason Witten, Miles Austin, Doug Free, Kyle Orton, Phil Costa, Jeff Olson, Tyler Clutts, Darrion Weems

Defense (7): Demarcus Ware, Justin Durant, Corey Irvin, Everett Dawkins, Everette Brown, Orie Lemon, Martez Wilson

Why would you cut young, minimum wage players before training camp?
Irvin, Dawkins, Brown, Wilson, Weems, etc.. Some of these players are great physical specimens and it cost zero to bring them to training camp. Weems is a guy with high physical upside if he can learn to play NFL style football. He reminds me of Leary from 2012.

Alexander

Reaction score
He recommends cutting these players:

Offense (8):
Jason Witten, Miles Austin, Doug Free, Kyle Orton, Phil Costa, Jeff Olson, Tyler Clutts, Darrion Weems

Defense (7): Demarcus Ware, Justin Durant, Corey Irvin, Everett Dawkins, Everette Brown, Orie Lemon, Martez Wilson

Why would you cut young, minimum wage players before training camp?
Irvin, Dawkins, Brown, Wilson, Weems, etc.. Some of these players are great physical specimens and it cost zero to bring them to training camp. Weems is a guy with high physical upside if he can learn to play NFL style football. He reminds me of Leary from 2012.

The two big pieces there are Witten and Ware. It simply will not happen. But continue in fantasy land.

It was like pulling teeth to get rid of lesser players, much less anyone who has received multiple Golden Tickets from Jerry Jones.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least it would be a lot more accurate than most mocks.

Yes, but there would be no point in logging in to the message board. We all already know that Jerry is not a great GM.

Reading posts about Jerry are like watching paint dry. Jerry already causes us enough grief, why do message board posters need to keep repeating it? Find some way to send the message to Jerry. At least one poster had the idea to take a collection to get a billboard near Valley Ranch that calls for Jerry to quit as the GM.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yes, but there would be no point in logging in to the message board. We all already know that Jerry is not a great GM.

Some would argue he is not even the ultimate decision maker. And some people also believe that he is doing all he can and only cares about winning.

Both are up for debate.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
exactly, but they do not comprehend this. I read a post by some of the nitwits bashing jerry and then look at who posted and just understand they do not understand. They mean well and want to be right and will argue all day that they buy nothing. "We all understand the GM stays.....well most of us.

Jerry was worth 300-400 million or so when he bought the Dallas Cowboys.
Now he is worth 2.7 BILLION dollars.
Talk of voting with money is hilarious on every single level.

One of the reasons Jerry is so magnanimous with critics is HE realizes those critics are putting money on his pocket.

The guy who is supposed to be so dumb has outsmarted everyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were once hot on the trail of Cameron Wake thanks to Sammy Garza and his CFL connections.

But that all went away when both Jerry Jones and his stooge Wade Phillips proclaimed the roster was set.

Oof!

Now I feel better!

:mad:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, not only does being in the playoff hunt until the very last game of the season has ramifications. Obviously, if you don't make the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7 you lose double because you also don't get a top 10 pick; however, in addition to the draft pick penalty, you lose the chance to add developmental players and raid other teams practice squads. There are a multitude of street free agents like Tyler Wilson and 248 practice squad players available to be signed. There is high probability that a few of those players have value.

Absolutely, and good teams leave no stone unturned. And I am a great believer in that philosophy.

And, despite being in the playoff hunt, the Patriots are finding the time to still do it.

I read about other teams having tryouts all season long, each week in many cases.

Ours seem much more infrequent.

For a team with this many holes, I think they should happen more often.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I don't know who Dallas is going to cut Everrette Dawkins when was already cut picked up on Tampa Bay's practice squad.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know who Dallas is going to cut Everrette Dawkins when was already cut picked up on Tampa Bay's practice squad.

Did they cut him from the Practice Squad or did Tampa sign him off of Dallas PS to their active roster?

neosapien23

Reaction score
Did they cut him from the Practice Squad or did Tampa sign him off of Dallas PS to their active roster?

He was never offered a practice squad spot. He was cut from the active roster and tampa offered him a ps spot. I guess maranelli didnt like what he saw.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Keep Bruce Carter? Why? So he can rub his lazy, effortless attitude onto other players? No thanks, I'll pass, Carter can hit the door after this year as well.

As for cutting all the other players, I think it's a wait and see approach. It's not like we still don't control our own destiny, so who knows.

The only reason why I would keep Carter is that he's essentially in his 2nd year. He also played extremely well in 2012 and there was a scheme change. For whatever reason, he's slipped tremendously. I think getting benched and then the staff hemming and hawing about him playing again didn't help matters.

To me, when I look at Carter I look at Doug Free. People here said he was the 'worst tackle in the league' and that he was lazy and didn't care. That we didn't hold him accountable, etc.

He had played RT well before and played very well at LT in 2010. I'm guessing a lot of factors led up to those problems in 2011 and then 2012. But, we re-did his contract and he's played quite well for us this season.

Perhaps Carter can get it together, perhaps not. But that's why I would keep him. He's also not expensive and the upside of him turning it around is better than the upside of cutting him out of frustration.

YR