BTB: Randy Gregory doesn't have a substance abuse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hopefully the NFL with go the route of the other main sports in yet another policy decision...Marijuana testing and suspension. The NBA, NHL and MLB.

NHL: The NHL does not test all its players for marijuana. One-third of its players are randomly tested each season for street drugs. Players who test positive for marijuana are not disciplined, although they could be referred to a substance-abuse program.

MLB: Players are not tested for marijuana unless there is reasonable cause to suspect they are using it.

NBA: Players are subject to four random drug tests throughout the season, but they are not subject to testing during the off-season. The "random tests" are not a seret
hence why it is rare to hear of a suspension for marijuana in the Association.

The NFL has raised the threshold tested for and should do so again IMO. The rule is antiquated and should be adjusted to adhere to the growing trend throughout the Nation...legalization. Since he Federal Government has yet to come around, there are ways to make the policy nearly extinct. The raising of the threshold is one and doing the tests similar to the NBA where they are "random" but everyone knows they are coming. This may also reduce the amount of players that are entered into the League's Substance abuse program.

It seems archaic that a player is banned for a year or indefinitely for marijuana use when the League has teams in States where it is legal.
If I am not mistaken the Olympic have the threshold so high for weed that they can pass at only quitting for a few days.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
So an editorial from a JJT type would have held more weight for you. I guess you just have a higher opinion of sports reporting than I do.

The policy needs to change. The article in the OP is right.

Don’t you contribute articles to that trash can blogsite?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Rules are the rules, but this particular rule is incredibly outdated and ridiculous. The owners need to wise up and change the league’s stance on this immediately. Unfortunately they will wait until the next round of bargaining and use it as a chip instead.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
As someone who think Marijuana should be legal and the NFL at the very least should change the rules on Marijuana, to focus more on treatment than punishment, it's quite clear Randy Gregory has a substance abuse problem.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
As someone who think Marijuana should be legal and the NFL at the very least should change the rules on Marijuana, to focus more on treatment than punishment, it's quite clear Randy Gregory has a substance abuse problem.
Weed isn't a substance abuse problem. The NFL is the problem, amigo. Hell, you addressed it in your post

kazzd58

Reaction score
I’m a drinker but never have smoked pot. I’m not a prude about it and have been around people who do but just never my thing vs a drink. I just have a problem with this article because it’s not accurate. I wouldn’t try it even if I wanted because there is the fact that it raises your heart rate by 2-3 times and is known to cause heart attacks in some cases. I’ve almost died twice because of a fluke heart virus attacking my heart and then a doctor piercing my heart trying to correct the afib that happened once a year due to the virus. Luckily I have a fully healthy heart and the afib rarely occurs but I wouldn’t want to take that chance...and I know alcohol raises it some too. Also pot can lead to depression, etc like alcohol and according to a real source it can be addictive

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

Yes I think it should be legalized and regulated but that blog is bs in how it makes it seem like it’s just happy, happy fun time.

Must be some fake weed they smoking you'll die from alcohol before weed... Your liver will let you know in due time..

Its to many facts thats is available to research on And be Right and exact about it.

Its does wonders for us Melanated people. I cant speak for everyone else but Melanated people are the earth and marijuana a natural herb so for us it heals us...

Maybe some people are allergic to it but i havent heard of any Melanated people and Randy Gregory has plenty of Melanin. Not to get to0 deep but the facts are all over the web and books its not hidden no mo.. So thats up to yall if you choose to stay stagnant, the world is moving forward

It makes sense now some people wont understand because they not suppose to..

Unlearn/Relearn.. open mind

Right and Exact!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Weed isn't a substance abuse problem. The NFL is the problem, amigo. Hell, you addressed it in your post

There are many things that are legal, I.E. junk food, that can lead to addiction, which is a problem. And if someone was addicted to junk food so much, that it effected their ability to work or live a fulfilling life, then they have a problem. Gregory clearly is addicted and at least prior to his most recent suspension, has shown no ability to beat that addiction, despite the *Millions* it has cost him.

That is a problem. Even if it should be legal, even if he shouldn't be suspended for it, the fact that he can not stop shows that he has a problem.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Whether you want to frame it a "problem" is irrelevant. The truth is that I can diagnosis him with substance dependence from here just based off what is out there reported in the news.

Not saying that marijuana is some super serious drug or that the NFL's archaic viewpoint is correct, but let's not dance around his concerns.

As always, hoping for the best for the guy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't care if it's chocolate chip cookies -- if it's against the rules and you can't stop to the point that it costs you your job, you have a problem.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
There are many things that are legal, I.E. junk food, that can lead to addiction, which is a problem. And if someone was addicted to junk food so much, that it effected their ability to work or live a fulfilling life, then they have a problem. Gregory clearly is addicted and at least prior to his most recent suspension, has shown no ability to beat that addiction, despite the *Millions* it has cost him.

That is a problem. Even if it should be legal, even if he shouldn't be suspended for it, the fact that he can not stop shows that he has a problem.
The NFL is making it a problem. It's isn't like "junk food." Junk food can kill you, let alone destroy an athlete. And even then, junk food isn't banned. The NFL and all of it's shills (look no further than this thread) lap up the rhetoric and backwards thinking in regards to weed. Meanwhile, an athlete doesn't get to play football. Because he was the one that was caught. Damned junky

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The NFL is making it a problem. It's isn't like "junk food." Junk food can kill you, let alone destroy an athlete. And even then, junk food isn't banned. The NFL and all of it's shills (look no further than this thread) lap up the rhetoric and backwards thinking in regards to weed. Meanwhile, an athlete doesn't get to play football. Because he was the one that was caught. Damned junky

you are completely missing my point. I'm arguing against the ethics for or against, legalized gambling can get you banned, so letting gambling take over your life becomes a problem.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't care if it's chocolate chip cookies -- if it's against the rules and you can't stop to the point that it costs you your job, you have a problem.

I can just see the blotter report: caught with chocolate chips...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
you are completely missing my point. I'm arguing against the ethics for or against, legalized gambling can get you banned, so letting gambling take over your life becomes a problem.
Sure. If you want to make a case that it's hurting his career, yes, of course it is. Because of the stupid rule in the NFL.

It's "taken over his life" because of the rule. Was he showing up to practices and games high?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Sure. If you want to make a case that it's hurting his career, yes, of course it is.

Yes, I was making that case.

Because of the stupid rule in the NFL.

While I wouldn't go as far as saying it's stupid, it is because of their unfair, antiquated, etc.. rule

It's "taken over his life" because of the rule. Was he showing up to practices and games high?

He tested positive enough times in college it easily could have gotten him kicked out and has cost him millions. He isn't using marijuana to protest unfair marijuana laws/rules, he's using because he can't stop. If it were alcohol, but he wasn't showing up to games drunk, not getting arrested, but was so badly dependent on it that it was costing him millions, then yes, he has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.