BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

GenoT

Reaction score
Linehan + his Mini-Me = more Cowboys mediocrity.

Just one more future scapegoat for Jason Garrett.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is truly out of the ordinary to see a former player move to position coach?

It is sorta common actually.
I was trying to respond to Gaeds' post ,"I still don’t like it. Moore was beat out by the guy he is going to coach. Just doesn’t make sense to me." I have no idea how I got the other one instead! I am trying to acclimate to a new laptop. The keyboard is way too sensitive and I am not quite there yet. :D

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If they have an impressive resume they aren't a QB coach, they are an Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach.

While they are more likely to be promoted that is not like it is remotely always the case particularly in the ultra conservative NFL. It's not as if the bar to finding a more qualified QB coach than Moore is very high. The NFL and NCAA is full of them.

Kaiser

Reaction score
While they are more likely to be promoted that is not like it is remotely always the case particularly in the ultra conservative NFL. It's not as if the bar to finding a more qualified QB coach than Moore is very high. The NFL and NCAA is full of them.

Depends on your opinion of Kellen Moore. Linehan and Dak clearly think he is exceptionally smart.

And if you look at our Division, the QB coaches in Philly and NY were washouts at OC who went back to being a QB coach. The Commanders QB coach is Kevin O'Connell, who is similar in that he went straight from a player career to being a QB coach (In Cleveland, then he lateralled to Washington).

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give me a break. If that was the case then why even have a QB coach in the first place?

If you want to delude yourself into thinking the QB coach has an insignificant role particularly with a young developing QB then fine but said QB already regressed last year with a better QB coach than Moore will be next year.

It’s unusual, but not unheard of, for a former player to come in at the position coach level. Even at QB coach. If you’re going to do it, doing it in a guy’s third year, after he’s had two full years with the three former QBs with decades both playing and coaching in the league, playing behind Romo early and with him in your rookie ear all year, and on a staff with senior position coaches around isn’t, as I said, the end of the world.

I’d rather see Moore start as a quality control coach, but I’m not the guy hiring him. Linehan can hire who he wants though.

More importantly than who we have at QB coach, I’d like to add a vet to the position group so Dak has someone on the roster to push him a little bit. He responds well to the competition, and neither Moore nor Rush were even a remote threat last season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Depends on your opinion of Kellen Moore. Linehan and Dak clearly think he is exceptionally smart.

And if you look at our Division, the QB coaches in Philly and NY were washouts at OC who went back to being a QB coach. The Commanders QB coach is Kevin O'Connell, who is similar in that he went straight from a player career to being a QB coach (In Cleveland, then he lateralled to Washington).

As if there aren't objective means of measuring qualification. Smart is fine. Experience and a history of success matter just as much.

How much experience or success does Moore have?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s unusual, but not unheard of, for a former player to come in at the position coach level. Even at QB coach. If you’re going to do it, doing it in a guy’s third year, after he’s had two full years with the three former QBs with decades both playing and coaching in the league, playing behind Romo early and with him in your rookie ear all year, and on a staff with senior position coaches around isn’t, as I said, the end of the world.

I’d rather see Moore start as a quality control coach, but I’m not the guy hiring him. Linehan can hire who he wants though.

More importantly than who we have at QB coach, I’d like to add a vet to the position group so Dak has someone on the roster to push him a little bit. He responds well to the competition, and neither Moore nor Rush were even a remote threat last season.

Sure I am not saying that it is impossible but I cannot think of one off the top of my head. That tells me that it is very improbable.

And of course Linehan can do what he wants but that is irrelevant to whether or not it is a good idea. You are trying to rationalize the decision.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Sean Payton & Scott Linehan were nfl washouts. Maybe Linehan just identified someone much like himself. Moore has been with Linehan as a "player" for six years. Would someone who did quality control for another team a couple of years really be a better addition? I don't think so.

Not sure why you are comparing Payton to Linehan. One is a good coach. The other is not even close. I'll let you guess which is which.

And yay, keep the same tired people we have had around for years moving forward. Because this staff has shown so much competence so far, right? I can't grasp how some people actually agree with these moves. And point to because he's been here for awhile. Who cares. This team desperately needs a new coaching staff and scheme or we will continue to rot in mediocrity.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure I am not saying that it is impossible but I cannot think of one off the top of my head. That tells me that it is very improbable.

And of course Linehan can do what he wants but that is irrelevant to whether or not it is a good idea. You are trying to rationalize the decision.

The argument is the Linehan knows better how he wants his staff to handle the workload than we do.

The guy in WAS played five years in the league and then went straight to the QB job.

Leftwich went from out of the league to one year as an intern before going straight to QB coach in AZ, and he’d never played for the Cardinals (he had for the Steelers though) and had been out of football since 2012.

I’m not rationalizing. Moore knows the system and is going to be surrounded by senior offensive staff. He works well with Linehan. We can afford to break in a coach in that position.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
------You can't really develop a qb's mechanics with the new offseason rules. Dak will need to do that on his own and hire someone. Hopefully someone like Mike Lee.

How do you develop a right handed QB's mechanics when you are left handed....it's NOT the same. I can spot flaws instantly with my friends who golf right handed....but left handed would be a little tougher. And he is going to be NEW at this....not a great choice..
Interesting point about right/left handed. Never heard anyone make that point before.
I could see a right handed person having issues helping a left handed player. But a left handed person deals with a majority of right handers in the profession. Can't see that as an issue for Kellen. But developing his mechanics is going to be needed to be done by someone outside the organization in the offseason not the coaches. NFL rules. Most of his work will be helping install the game plans.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’m not rationalizing. Moore knows the system and is going to be surrounded by senior offensive staff. He works well with Linehan. We can afford to break in a coach in that position.

And probably most important of all, he clearly works well with Dak Prescott.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The argument is the Linehan knows better how he wants his staff to handle the workload than we do.

The guy in WAS played five years in the league and then went straight to the QB job.

Leftwich went from out of the league to one year as an intern before going straight to QB coach in AZ, and he’d never played for the Cardinals (he had for the Steelers though) and had been out of football since 2012.

I get that you are appealing to authority when we don't even know what Linehan actually thinks.

http://www.Commanders.com/team/coaches/Kevin-Oconnell/a1efdfaf-5bba-4414-baab-f94139e53d10

Washington's QB coach had many years of experience before becoming QB coach and the so did the guy before him.

Having Moore intern for a year sounds like an infinitely better option than the one they are taking.

And saying that Linehan has to have a good reason for wanting this is rationalizing the decision.

rpntex

Reaction score
I actually think Moore is going to be a good coach. But not here for Dak. How can Dak take coaching from a player who doesn't have the fundamentals, or couldn't even beat Dak out? It's just weird. It would be different if this was some veteran such as McCown or someone like that.

It’s pretty much accepted as fact that 90% of being no an effective coach is intelligence, and has ZERO to do with athletic ability. NFL history is littered with examples of good coaches who were mediocre pro players, or in many cases, NEVER played a snap in the league (Belicek, Tomlin). There are a lot of examples of good to great layers who were awful coaches.

If Moore has what it takes between the ears, what he did on the field is irrelevant.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The exact same amount as Wade Wilson did in 2000 when he became the Dallas QB coach - his first of 16 seasons as an NFL QB Coach.

Huh? Wilson was the QB coach for the Bears before he came here in 2007. David Lee developed Romo.

rpntex

Reaction score
Yet Doug Pederson is in the Super Bowl. Sean Payton has won one.

Nothing is blown up here aside from your post

Tom Flores was a career backup. He won a Speer Bowl with Oakland in ‘81.

Belicek and Mike Tomlin never played a snap in the NFL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Huh? Wilson was the QB coach for the Bears before he came here in 2007.

And before Wilson was QB Coach of the Bears he was QB Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Perhaps you have heard of that team.

Wilson took the Dallas QB Coach job in 2000, immediately after his playing career ended.

Just like Kellen Moore.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If Moore has what it takes between the ears, what he did on the field is irrelevant.

You could also argue that Moore having an NFL career at all is proof he can coach. Wade Wilson had the athletic ability of the average NFL QB. Kellen Moore had the athletic ability of the average UPS Driver.