News: BTB: Three Reasons The Dallas Cowboys Should Pass On A Quarterback In The First Round

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a cherry picked QB list, only looking at the 1st 2 QB's chosen. What about the 3rd or 4th QB chosen, I guess Andy Dalton doesn't count. Guess he only wanted to show 2006 to 2012 for his purposes also.
I can make a list of QB's also, to make my agenda look legit.

Cowboys great at drafting defensive players? They have picked some good players, and the jury is still out on a few of them. but if they are so great at picking them, why are the still stagnant with the pass rush we truly been missing for years. Why did we go all year without DB's INT's, except for a few deflected ones to Heath, the the last few games ones by PS players brought up.
There were what 2 by Heath, a pick six for Corey White, but he was at S for that one, and the 2 by the CB's at the end. All by back up players that weren't drafted. Unless you technically say Terrence mitchell was, but he was also released at one point in time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Romo has really spoiled our fans and FO.they think we just spend a low pick on a QB and he will turn into another Romo. the same guys will want us to draft QB when romo retires and we will forced to do what the Bills did and will end up in QB purgatory.if this FO doesnt use this top 5 pick well then there is no hope for them.

Wentz wouldn't work at the top of the second round?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Because he might not be there or he has a mid 1st round grade.

we are picking 4th,the chances of one the top 2 QBs being there is 100%.If the cowboy think its not worth a 4th pick then its fine but the consequences of being wrong on a QB is monumental.If you pass on a Qb again and he turns into another aaron Rodgers it will be catastrophic for our franchie because we wont get another shot at the top QB in years,Jerry will never live it down that he a had 4th pick in the draft and passed on a Qb to take a CB or LB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
we are picking 4th,the chances of one the top 2 QBs being there is 100%.If the cowboy think its not worth a 4th pick then its fine but the consequences of being wrong on a QB is monumental.If you pass on a Qb again and he turns into another aaron Rodgers it will be catastrophic for our franchie because we wont get another shot at the top QB in years,Jerry will never live it down that he a had 4th pick in the draft and passed on a Qb to take a CB or LB.

That's an argument...valid.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I see, just a positional stance on any single consideration, and then insult reasonable looks at alternatives...oh, for sure...hooah.

That group of authors provide more valid considerations than a ton of monkeys running around offering soap opera solutions continually.

they are not doing any of that.there reasonings are pretty dumb and they should be ashamed to publish such a badly thought out article even for a blog.

CCBoy

Reaction score
they are not doing any of that.there reasonings are pretty dumb and they should be ashamed to publish such a badly thought out article even for a blog.

They do a continual attempt at a wide variety of issues and points. A criticism might be a tad rough on their actual contributions. Without them, there might be enough of a rounded view to be realistic.

I'll have to disagree with the above assessment, but respect your opinion the same.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Do you feel losing our two best players for most of the year was a factor in the 4-12?

And that is irrelevant to 2016.

Did you feel we were close when we were one play away from the NFC championship game?

Irrelevant to 2015. Every year is different. Different team. 20% roster turnover makes it a fruitless exercise

You keep thinking you are a "player away" you will always be chasing your tail. Rosters don't exist in a vacuum.

Are any of these Qb prospects "can't miss" or close?

What other players are "can't miss" in this draft? Is Ramsey a can't miss? Buckner?

Are they very good prospects in relation to past drafts? I don't know I'm asking.

I think the top three QBs are decent and form a good core for the first round.

Certainly not worse than most prior drafts, better than 2014 (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater) and collectively better in retrospect than 2012 (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill) .

I think it is a "bad QB draft" has been repeated so much people assume that it is true.

We will see how it plays out.

CapnCook

Reaction score
I believe it is flawed thinking to believe this is our ONLY chance at drafting a good future at QB. This team's aversion to drafting a QB at all has put them (or us) in this desperate mindset. Besides Andrew Luck and Cam Newton (and maaaaaybe Derek Carr), there just have not been QBs who were must haves with a top 5 pick. Take a random selection of any QB participating the the Super Bowl in the last 20 years and chances are they were not even top ten picks. Most often, they are taken near the 20's or the early second round.

My point is, the Cowboys have a chance at taking the next franchise QB every single year. This year being a supposed anomaly that propels them into some new and rare territory for taking the next QB is false.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
And that is irrelevant to 2016.

Irrelevant to 2015. Every year is different. Different team. 20% roster turnover makes it a fruitless exercise

You keep thinking you are a "player away" you will always be chasing your tail. Rosters don't exist in a vacuum.

What other players are "can't miss" in this draft? Is Ramsey a can't miss? Buckner?

I think the top three QBs are decent and form a good core for the first round.

Certainly not worse than most prior drafts, better than 2014 (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater) and collectively better than 2012 (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill) .

I think it is a "bad QB draft" has been repeated so much people assume that it is true.

We will see how it plays out.

Teams with good records and go close to the NFC championship don't have a greater chance than teams that win one or two games to perform well the following year?
How would you then evaluate a teams prospects from one year to the next?
How does Vegas possibly stay in business when they let people place bets before the season starts?

Alexander

Reaction score
I believe it is flawed thinking to believe this is our ONLY chance at drafting a good future at QB.

Nobody is saying it is the ONLY. But the numbers bear it out. The better QBs are going to be chosen in the first round.

Of the top 25 or so QBs currently, first rounders (Palmer, Newton, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Rivers, Smith, Ryan, both Mannings, Cutler, Flacco, Bortles, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Mariota, Winston) outweigh the non-first rounders (Brady, Romo, Dalton, Carr, Brees, Wilson, Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Cousins).

Primetime42

Reaction score

I feel pretty secure in saying neither Goff nor Lynch is Aaron Rodgers.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Define "close."

I see a team with the worst record in the NFC. Only 15 teams stand in their way!

Can't say enough how right you are. Like Bill parcels said, you are what your record says you are.

Other teams play with backup qbs and win, but ours drops the ball by a mile??? Says something about talent level on this team.

We can't afford to wait until we have a #19 pick in draft or lower let alone the fact that Romo at his age and with his injuries could be out before this next year even begins.
It took us 15 years of "what flash and dash can we getbRIGHT NOW" style drafts and free agency before we finally realized draft a solid olineman nothing fancy but it is a start

Draft a qb if he is there... And for 1000% certainty say no to manziel and rgIII

Alexander

Reaction score
Teams with good records and go close to the NFC championship don't have a greater chance than teams that win one or two games to perform well the following year?
Are you kidding?

Teams can go from in the playoffs to out the next year, regardless of how far they go.

We take the last ten NFC championship games. Of those twenty teams, nearly half did not even make the playoffs the next season:
Panthers (2006), Bears (2007), Saints (2007), Packers (2008), Vikings (2010), Bears (2011), Giants (2012), Falcons (2013), 49ers (2014)

How would you then evaluate a teams prospects from one year to the next?

You guess, and often you will be wrong.
How does Vegas possibly stay in business when they let people place bets before the season starts?[/quote]

Vegas is not exactly the same kind of thing. They stay in business based on fans thinking a 12-4 season buried in a consistent sea of 8-8 seasons is a sign of consistency to come.

CapnCook

Reaction score
Nobody is saying it is the ONLY. But the numbers bear it out. The better QBs are going to be chosen in the first round.

Of the top 25 or so QBs currently, first rounders (Palmer, Newton, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Rivers, Smith, Ryan, both Mannings, Cutler, Flacco, Bortles, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Mariota, Winston) outweigh the non-first rounders (Brady, Romo, Dalton, Carr, Brees, Wilson, Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Cousins).

Yes, and the Cowboys have at least one first round pick every year. All too often, it gets traded away. I think its well over due. It doesn't have to be a pick at number four. And also note that a relevant number of those you listed are not with the team that drafted them in the first round. Drafting a top QB is not the only way to get a QB drafted at the top.

You may not be saying it is the only chance, but I have seen many who do. At least that is the strong implication. And many are suggesting there is some unique opportunity and need particular to this season. You have to admit, there is a faction who believe that it is QB or bust at the number four, regardless of the player selected.

My current analysis would be centered around comparing the relative probability for success brought by each prospect, and then way the margins against the projected draft position. For example, don't force a pick for Goff when you could get Wentz or Cook in the second, and perhaps even Hogan in the third! There's still a lot of evaluation to go, but right now, outside of Lynch, I don't see a QB worth a fourth round pick, but instead a good number who are very close in skill set that are projected much later.