News: BTB: Three Reasons The Dallas Cowboys Should Pass On A Quarterback In The First Round

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
1. Finding a franchise QB is hard.

Of the top 2 QBs drafted only 6 of the last 14 are starting. The number increases if you go behind just the past 7 years. That's about 50%. Almost nothing in sports has odds that high. Not even the top pick in the NBA draft. And this article says it like it's a bad thing?

2. The Cowboys aren't good at evaluating QBs.

I don't know another team that evaluated a UDFA who became an elite QB since the Rams with Warner. I'd say that puts us in rare company. Also, considering we only drafted 1 QB in the top 2 rounds in the past 25 years, I'd say our problem isn't evaluating QB, it's pulling the trigger. (But hey, how can you blame them? Finding a franchise QB is hard.)

3. The Cowboys are great at evaluating defensive players.

According to who? Our only successful draft picks have been O-line. We haven't made an excellent defensive pick since Ware. I think fans on CowboysZone have been better at evaluating defense than the Cowboys. We've had fans banging on the table for Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Dontari Poe and others. We'd have the best defense in football if we listened to all these "armchair" GMs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We should get one of the impact defensive players at #4. Sign a FA QB as backup.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah Dallas could draft Brandon Allen in the 7th rd get him as an UDFA and to add more excitement for those who forgot what things were like after Troy retired, Allen also played baseball. Oh the good old days. lol

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just madness.....:omg:

After this season...people still think Romo won't breakdown...UNREAL

You don't mess around getting a franchise QB for the next decade. Feel fortunate that we have someone that can mentor the young guy for a year or 2.

wileedog

Reaction score
2. The Cowboys aren't good at evaluating QBs.

I don't know another team that evaluated a UDFA who became an elite QB since the Rams with Warner. I'd say that puts us in rare company.

I wouldn't overthink that. If Quincy had put down the bong in 2004 we had allegedly planned to cut Romo to keep a stable of him, Vinny and Henson.

Romo was a pure lottery ticket, and they guys who brought him in in the first place are long gone anyway.

I'm in the pick a QB camp on this one, but I do agree with article that our track record stinks at it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeah Dallas could draft Brandon Allen in the 7th rd get him as an UDFA and to add more excitement for those who forgot what things were like after Troy retired, Allen also played baseball. Oh the good old days. lol

He played baseball? That is too bad, kind of liked him.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's hard to find quarterbacks so never draft one? Bold

I think with our 2nd rd pick we can find a very decent QB we can afford to pay and wait and learn.

We will be drafting high there anyway.

And if FA fills the need..then even better. There even maybe another name or 2 available b/w now and then.

Fingers crossed.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
And that is irrelevant to 2016.

Irrelevant to 2015. Every year is different. Different team. 20% roster turnover makes it a fruitless exercise

You keep thinking you are a "player away" you will always be chasing your tail. Rosters don't exist in a vacuum.

What other players are "can't miss" in this draft? Is Ramsey a can't miss? Buckner?

I think the top three QBs are decent and form a good core for the first round.

Certainly not worse than most prior drafts, better than 2014 (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater) and collectively better in retrospect than 2012 (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill) .

I think it is a "bad QB draft" has been repeated so much people assume that it is true.

We will see how it plays out.

All of that is very debatable I think Bridegwater, Bortles, Tannehill and Griffin would all be ranked with if not ahead of any of these QB's.

How you can say this about guys who have not played a down is really projecting and as draft prospects 5 of those 6 guys were higher rated prospects than 2 of these guys now.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
[quote="Alexander, post: 6522283, member: 2328"]We are close? A team coming off a conference worst record is "close"? We might be the first 4-12 team to ever characterize themselves that way.

If we were discussing most any other position other than QB, perhaps.

But the simplest facts are right there, plain as day. You want a better chance at a quality QB you need to take them at the top of the draft.

We are rarely there, but now we are, we say it is too hard?

That just makes no sense whatsoever. All that logic is someone talking themselves out of the risk involved and pretending there is some sort of basis for being, well, frightened because somebody else has failed before.[/quote]

C'mon man - nice try but I know you're smarter than that. I'll chalk it up to trying to make a point, however if you really believe that you could prove it by dropping ten grand in Vegas next season on the Cowboys winning six games or under. If course you might hit it. Anything's possible.

I'm not even going into all the reasons why because you already know the basics are bad division getting the QB and WR back on offense and utilizing high draft picks and 30 million under the cap. Three of our 4 wins this year were with our starting QB - that's not a mistake.

If that doesn't make us close then by all means = book it with me. I'll take over 8 wins and over you take 6 and under.

9 probably wins the division next year.

csirl

Reaction score
6 of the 8 QBs starting in next weekends playoff games were 1st round picks - 75%.

If getting a franchise player when drafting a first round QB is a flip of a coin, then its worth drafting one 2 years in a row just to be sure.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I pretty much disagree with this entire article. Let me say this again, maybe someone will forward to the franchise or to some dumb reporters.
1.The QB position is the most important position on the team.
2. No player in any draft is a "can't miss" player.
3. I'm not going to drop down in the draft and HOPE my guy is still there, that's gambling with your franchise.

I'm taking one of the top 3 QBs, and if I have to move up to get him, so be it. What's the price? Who cares? I don't give a **** what the price is if I think it's going to help me get to a Super Bowl in the future. I don't care about my draft grade, etc, I care about the bottom line. The bottom line is that if we have a chance to get an upper-tier QB and allow him to actually (sit down and learn) instead of throwing him out there, that is huge. It seems like QBs who have the chance to sit and watch, zero pressure to perform right away, usually has a good chance to succeed. Even QBs in College, High School, just allow them to slowly work themselves in to that position usually have a chance. We have this rare opportunity to draft a Goff, a Wentz, and that guy won't be on ESPN every night, on the cover of sports illustrated, in the news to start and perform. No pressure. He sits back, learns from Romo. He watches how Romo manipulates the defense at the LOS, how he gets out of trouble, how he sets up defenders, when to take risks, and more importantly, how to deal with the pressure of being the QB of the most prestigious sports franchise.

I wonder what Romo would have been like had he been thrown into the fire right away. Probably would've been out of the league by now.

Take the QB you want even if you have to reach for him, and for goodness sake, do not throw him in the fire.