News: BTB: Three Reasons The Dallas Cowboys Should Pass On A Quarterback In The First Round

reddyuta

Reaction score
Robinson at four?

Romo has really spoiled our fans and FO.they think we just spend a low pick on a QB and he will turn into another Romo. the same guys will want us to draft QB when romo retires and we will forced to do what the Bills did and will end up in QB purgatory.if this FO doesnt use this top 5 pick well then there is no hope for them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo has really spoiled our fans and FO.they think we just spend a low pick on a QB and he will turn into another Romo. the same guys will want us to draft QB when romo retires and we will forced to do what the Bills did and will end up in QB purgatory.if this FO doesnt use this top 5 pick well then there is no hope for them.

I want to draft a QB because I know we have some time to let them develop instead of throwing a young QB to the wolves day 1.

reddyuta

Reaction score
So if it's a 50/50 proposition to find a starting QB at the top of the draft, what is it if you don't draft one? 3% chance to luck into a Romo (to paraphrase Jerry the GM)?

I wonder if the author is married. If half all marriages end in divorce, don't even think about dating. Of course to participate in the NFL you can't be single unless you want to just run the wildcat.

50/50 is awesome.can these guys promise me Bosa wont bust? how about Myles Jack? a top 4 LB better be hall of famer .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So the odds on finding a QB are 50/50 if you select one in the top of the draft. and if you don't select one its 0%. Smart money is on 50/50.

I agree and while yes there are situation were later rd QB will develop into franchise QB the odds are less than drafting players who are overall more talented which again like any position are more likely found at the top of the draft. If I am looking for a big time DE I'm not looking in rd 5 for him well same goes for QB

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Reason #1 – Finding a franchise QB is hard

Can't say I would limit the discussion to just the top 2 QBs. What if #3 was the catch, was rated just below #2, but the team who took #2 just made a piss poor decision? The good QB was there, the team just squandered the chance.

Reason #3 - The Cowboys are great at evaluating defensive players

Lol. Is that right? Well, I guess it must be something else that has failed to produce a great defense and also requires the team to continuously dump resources into a unit that struggles to achieve average results.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Define "close."

I see a team with the worst record in the NFC. Only 15 teams stand in their way!

Close/adj -- A team that lost several games by a small margin despite losing their two best players for most of the year and can expect them back next year.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Looking at the data looks makes it seem like the moral of the story is not to take the consolation prize QB, especially at 4. The first QBs taken are mostly fine.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yes, let's never draft a QB since it's such high stakes. That's a great strategy at finding our next franchise QB.,

It's not very often that you get the #4 overall pick in the draft. Time to take the QB plunge considering Romo's injury history and age, then let the draft come to us.

I can see a scenario where we might move up a spot to get our guy.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
If Cook is projected to be at the boys pick in the second, I have no problem with skipping a QB in the first.

He may end up being the best.

Aven8

Reaction score
If they truly evaluate each 3 QB's and think they are worth a #4 pick, not reaching just to pick a QB, then they have to.

I hope however that they are not selecting one that "fits" JG's awful scheme however. Just pick the best one. This scheme could be long gone by the tine they're ready!

MissionCoach

Reaction score
A lot of the QB's that were drafted early were thrown into the fire immediately which doesn't always work out too well.

I would like to see the Cowboys trade back and pick up an extra pick or two, possibly draft a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Let him sit behind Romo and learn (similar to Rodgers behind Favre or Brady behind Bledsoe).

Obviously sure fire franchise QB's don't come along very often...on the other hand, how often can Jerry count on a FA turning into a franchise QB???

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
We are close? A team coming off a conference worst record is "close"? We might be the first 4-12 team to ever characterize themselves that way.

If we were discussing most any other position other than QB, perhaps.

But the simplest facts are right there, plain as day. You want a better chance at a quality QB you need to take them at the top of the draft.

We are rarely there, but now we are, we say it is too hard?

That just makes no sense whatsoever. All that logic is someone talking themselves out of the risk involved and pretending there is some sort of basis for being, well, frightened because somebody else has failed before.

Do you feel losing our two best players for most of the year was a factor in the 4-12?
Did you feel we were close when we were one play away from the NFC championship game?
Are any of these Qb prospects "can't miss" or close?
Are they very good prospects in relation to past drafts? I don't know I'm asking.

That's why I posed the possibility(not definite)that this is a resonable discussion to have about the Cowboys draft pick.

Last edited:

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
If you think we are "close" why not use your top 5 pick on your the most talented QB in the draft and hope he will be your franchise QB in 2 years?

I agree.

If we are so close anyway, we can compete for a Superbowl or 2 with Romo then continue to compete for them AFTERr Romo with a new QB when Romo retires after another injury instead of competing with Romo with an extra 1%-2% chance to get there with a top new non-QB then have 0% chance making due with the Weedens of the world after Romo retires in a couple years.

Draft Romo's replacement now while the odds are better.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
It's much worse than this article states. Throw out the QB's picked before pick 4 and you are left with a more realistic view of our chances of landing a great QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Guys at BTB are *******es about this, they are churning out dumb article after dumb article.

I see, just a positional stance on any single consideration, and then insult reasonable looks at alternatives...oh, for sure...hooah.

That group of authors provide more valid considerations than a ton of monkeys running around offering soap opera solutions continually.