BTB: What Grade Would You Give Trysten Hill's Debut

reddyuta

Reaction score
Hill didn’t look like an All-Pro or even a really good player during his Cowboys debut, but he looked like someone who has talent that is worth mining and trying to figure out. That’s what Rod Marinelli liked so much about him after all.

If I’m to be the judge I’m giving Hill a C overall for his debut, because that’s the definition of average. And to be clear being average here is okay.

The writer and I share the same thoughts on Hill

I dont know man,i expect a bit more from a 2nd rd pick.

Wood

Reaction score
B. He blew up one play in red zone. Showed life. Team desperately needs some juice from DT. Woods should be no more than #4 rotating tackle from this point on.

lockster

Reaction score
He took Taco's number and his sucky sucky spin move.
:facepalm:
Man they should have never laden this guy with tacos number!! I don't believe in bad juju, but this is bad juju! Lol. If being an over rated rookie that we could have gotten much later want bad enough, they do him like this !!!! Thank goodness we have a good offense, we are going to need it. Lol. I say let's just retire the number 97 , at least till the stink wears off. Lol. Maybe, if they had a circle of shame going around the stadium for deadbeats like they do for Roger, Troy, etc. It would motivate the stink boys to play harder to get off the moving leds displays lol. Maybe, make it the top stinker, rotated every week.

waldoputty

Reaction score
"Touching the QB" is not his assignment and had no positive impact on the play whatsoever. All it did was allow the blocker to put him on the ground while the play ran the other way. It probably counted as a pancake.

sure, ur logic is laughable:lmao:
the qb with the ball is right in front of him.
but that is not his assignment.
good god, dont penetrate and stay at the los.
god forbid, dont try to make a play...

btw, the block came from the side.
there was no way for him to see the blocker.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He looked exactly like he looked at UCF.

Occasionally shows great quickness and anticipation, penetrates the gap.

Most plays, loses 1-on-1 matches, gets pushed back, then turns and sprints down the line to trail the play, so it looks like he's hustling.
I appreciate the hustle but he needs to win his match-up's and control his gap.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Also, this quote:

“These two weeks, I was glad I wasn’t out on the field because I needed to learn how the NFL works and learn the game a little bit more. I think I was really prepared when I came out here today and that’s what it’s all about.”

Sounds good but I want competitive dudes who hate being sidelined. Every player who was active the first two weeks was "prepared" when they suited up for the games. Why wasn't Trysten?

waldoputty

Reaction score
for those who watch tape, how much improvement have you seen in hill's play and technique since beginning of preseason, end of preseason?

thanks!

Common Sense

Reaction score
sure, ur logic is laughable:lmao:
the qb with the ball is right in front of him.
but that is not his assignment.
good god, dont penetrate and stay at the los.
god forbid, dont try to make a play...

btw, the block came from the side.
there was no way for him to see the blocker.

Have you seriously never seen a wham play in your life?

quickccc

Reaction score
Are Crawford and Woods back next week already? That's a good question. Interested to see if he still gets some reps in at that point.

i'm doubting Crawford will be back this soon from what i'm hearing about the latest issues with both his hips, but since Woods was initially diagnosed as day -to -day, we'll see if he is
back at practice and a full participant.

Common Sense

Reaction score
no kidding.
wham plays work for a reason because the dts will penetrate to make the play.
and hill was so fast that the wham almost did not work as he got his hands on the qb.

This isn't touch football. It doesn't matter how fast Hill shoots the gap because he will never beat the RB to the handoff, period. I don't care how many tips of his fingers he gets on the QB. It doesn't matter. By that point, he's trapped because he didn't play his assignment. Doing the wrong thing at 100 MPH is still the wrong thing.

This is what actually happened: Hill did not read the play and got put on the ground by the TE assigned to block him, and if Thompson doesn't beat his block, it's a touchdown.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Trapped.....rod m scheme makes it easy for teams
Remember when d.irving, vrs Eagles, got trapped in the run games dang near a dozen times tharpt game.
So how do you fix it? What is your scheme to fix it?

cavemanct

Reaction score
From where I was sitting I thought I saw get through the line but overpursue. First drive maybe?

NotForLong

Reaction score
So basically all the criticisms are directed at a rookie project. . . if he is able to work on, will be a star if not just a flash in the pain

mrmojo

Reaction score
Hated the pick but it is what it is. Hope he develops but that's what you say about a 4th or 5th rounder. We probably wont find out till year 3.