BTB: What Grade Would You Give Trysten Hill's Debut

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
So weird that a rookie 2nd rounder in his debut looks average at best. Who saw that coming?

waldoputty

Reaction score
This isn't touch football. It doesn't matter how fast Hill shoots the gap because he will never beat the RB to the handoff, period. I don't care how many tips of his fingers he gets on the QB. It doesn't matter. By that point, he's trapped because he didn't play his assignment. Doing the wrong thing at 100 MPH is still the wrong thing.

This is what actually happened: Hill did not read the play and got put on the ground by the TE assigned to block him, and if Thompson doesn't beat his block, it's a touchdown.
In this case, Hill should have recognized the play and stayed on his feet to beat the block from the TE and make the play.

1. it was a bang-bang play. the slow-mo shows he got to the qb at 100mph before the rb. it was the te's block that stopped him from blowing up the play.
2. there was no way he could have seen the tight end coming from the side. and what if it was a mistake in the blocking scheme and there was no tight end coming. or what if the tight end could not make the wamp in time? would you then be killing him for not charging towards the qb?
3. the safe play was to wait, but that can be easily taught if you REALLY do not want him to charge towards the qb when he was within ~5 feet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
so we got average play out of a late 2nd round pick rookie in his debut? I'd say that's pretty much par for the course

Average would have been great. The reality is that he has a long way to go.

morasp

Reaction score
You can't coach his quickness and hustle. Clearly he needs to work on technique and pad level and needs an offseason in the weight room but his upside is tremendous. Very few college defensive lineman have NFL ready strength Joe Jackson was one of them that they said did but I didn't see it mentioned very often in the draft profiles.

Common Sense

Reaction score
1. it was a bang-bang play. the slow-mo shows he got to the qb at 100mph before the rb. it was the te's block that stopped him from blowing up the play.

I mean, yeah. That's literally how it's designed to work. It would have been a TD if not for Darian Thompson.

2. there was no way he could have seen the tight end coming from the side. and what if it was a mistake in the blocking scheme and there was no tight end coming. or what if the tight end could not make the wamp in time? would you then be killing him for not charging towards the qb?

Hill has a responsibility to make his reads correctly. At the very least, he should know the difference between a run and a pass play. If you diagnose the run, then why in the world would you LEAVE YOUR FEET and not look for a blocker? It's idiotic.

Then on top of that, Hill washes himself out of the play. He doesn't go where the ball is going because he has no clue what is going on.

I don't know why we're pretending like Rosen was just going to stand there and not go through his handoff to the back.

3. the safe play was to wait, but that can be easily taught if you REALLY do not want him to charge towards the qb when he was within ~5 feet.

I guarantee you Marinelli REALLY does not want him charging upfield and getting decleated by a tight end on play that they practiced all week, but you're entitled to believe whatever you want to believe.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He looked like his college film. Quick burst, but always out of position and on the ground.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You can't coach his quickness and hustle. Clearly he needs to work on technique and pad level and needs an offseason in the weight room but his upside is tremendous. Very few college defensive lineman have NFL ready strength Joe Jackson was one of them that they said did but I didn't see it mentioned very often in the draft profiles.

how dare you present stuff like that!
hill should have known that he could not get there in time and NOT attack and NOT penetrate.
he should have waited at the LOS to maintain gap discipline because he should have known the TE is going to wamp him and there was no way he could have gotten to the qb in time!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'd give him a C.

No tackles but did register two QB hits. To my untrained eye (I only just now saw the game on replay online), he relies too much on his upfield quickness and power. His only move is a mechanical spin. He should improve as he learns better technique and leverage.

Common Sense

Reaction score
how dare you present stuff like that!
hill should have known that he could not get there in time and NOT attack and NOT penetrate.
he should have waited at the LOS to maintain gap discipline because he should have known the TE is going to wamp him and there was no way he could have gotten to the qb in time!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dude. You're making yourself look like a clown right now.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I like what I saw from Hill. He will never be a perennial all-pro/pro bowl stud. But he can be serviceable with his speed and hustle.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dude. You're making yourself look like a clown right now.

fact: you dont want hill to attack the qb even though he is 5 feet away because he is supposed to play it conservatively

fact: you rather go for the safe play instead of the aggressive play because you know hill cannot get to the qb in time

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
fact: you dont want hill to attack the qb even though he is 5 feet away because he is supposed to play it conservatively

fact: you rather go for the safe play instead of the aggressive play because you know hill cannot get to the qb in time
I'm on your side on this one Snoop D-O-double-Gizzle.

sbark

Reaction score
So how do you fix it? What is your scheme to fix it?
I'd jump in and out of under tackle scheme. Based on down and distance. Move 3tech straight up over guard...keeps that o.line off lb, clogs trapper, especially if can push , hold. Traps work on players that are left to penetrate or are great off the ball (d.irving). Gotta keep offense guessing , can't let them scheme a predictable technique. Will they jump to pass play, likely, that's the game within the game being played

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Let Jerry and Marinelli break the 3 year rule again with Hill so he can join Charlton in Miami.

On average, it takes DL about a year to adjust their game from college to the pros. If they are real good you should see something by week 10.

You have exceptions but it is pretty much the rule. If the rule is broken it is usually DE with speed rush (i.e. Jevon Kerse) or a great DT with another established DT next to him (i.e. Jerome Brown, Aaron Donald). Aaron Donald had Brockers and Quinn when he entered the league. Jerome Brown had Reggie White and Clyde Simmons. Neither is the case for Hill.

Give your DL 3 years.

Common Sense

Reaction score

Fact: The only reason it looked like he was so close to the QB is because he dove at him instead of playing his run assignment. He basically blocked himself. Like a clown.

Fact: That play would have gone for 6 if Darian Thompson didn’t bail everyone out by beating his block. You are celebrating a player who almost gave up a TD because he didn’t do his job. Like a clown.