Bum Alert: Brice Butler

FaSho

Reaction score
Butler can be replaced in the draft. Lucky can be replaced by a UDFA.

Although, I'd love to draft Adoree' Jackson. That dude is explosive as a returner.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
CowboysZone: GET RID OF BUTLER! WE NEED AN UPGRADE!

(Cowboys devote resources to the WR position)

CowboysZone: WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!? OUR DEFENSE SUCKS AND WE ADD A WR???
:lmao2::hammer:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta make the plays that are there to be made. In this offense, you get limited opportunities. He had two big drops at critical times this year. That's a position we should upgrade if there's an opportunity to do so, and there is going to be plenty of opportunity to do so.

To his credit, he's not dodging responsibility for the drop, at least.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brice Butler said:
I still don’t know where my hands were. Dude, I was surprised when I fell and I didn’t have that ball. I felt like I was looking it in. I guess I didn’t stick my arms out long enough.
Your hands may have been in their proper position if you didn't try as hard pushing off to gain separation a moment before the ball got there. Sometimes as a receiver, you must make a split second decision to fight the defender covering you for the ball. You have the advantage if YOU'RE tracking the ball and the DB has his back to the incoming pass.

Every pass won't be perfect. Every DB won't give you four feet of breathing room. In this case, the DB had good but not great position (heck Sean Lee was in better position on his man when that dying Rodgers ball nearly grazed his shoulder pads). Prescott's pass was almost as perfectly placed as anyone could have thrown over the top. You had the advantage of catching a pass that the DB couldn't reach for even IF he knew where the ball was.

Of course, you're not reading me whine about this anyway. Never mind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be a revolt on this board, and across Cowboy nation, if the first pick goes to the offense.

Justifiably. That's worse than wasting a 2nd rounder on a backup TE every three to four years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a shame but, Butler should definitely go. He's 6'3" but doesn't play close to his height.
He has inconsistent hands and loses concentration easily. He never uses his height or bulk
to fight for a ball or go for a high point pass. Just not worth a second contract in my view.
Let some other team pay him.

And worst of all, he's timid. He plays scared. This after four years in the league. The time for 'potential' and 'development' is well passed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You can't help but doubt Butler will ever be consistent if he can't even accept responsibility for his hand placement. Maybe it'll help for him to find them if he sees the film showing he short-armed the ball badly. I think he was actually more concerned about the defender than the ball.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Your hands may have been in their proper position if you didn't try as hard pushing off to gain separation a moment before the ball got there. Sometimes as a receiver, you must make a split second decision to fight the defender covering you for the ball. You have the advantage if YOU'RE tracking the ball and the DB has his back to the incoming pass.

Every pass won't be perfect. Every DB won't give you four feet of breathing room. In this case, the DB had good but not great position (heck Sean Lee was in better position on his man when that dying Rodgers ball nearly grazed his shoulder pads). Prescott's pass was almost as perfectly placed as anyone could have thrown over the top. You had the advantage of catching a pass that the DB couldn't reach for even IF he knew where the ball was.

Of course, you're not reading me whine about this anyway. Never mind.
:laugh:

Awesome feedback that I'm positive would help him if he was here to listen.

Zman5

Reaction score
He doesn't have bad hands. He made several tough caches that are 10-15 yards range through out the year.

Most of his "drops" are long passes to the sidelines. If you watch those "drops", he has ball tracking issues. He doesn't catch the ball because he mistimes the pass. I'm not sure if that can be easily correctable. Maybe he needs to get his eyes checked.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
How do you even fix your lips to say this?

"I still don't even know where my hands were..."

Really??? How do you fix your lips to say this? I have an answer.. How about with your next contract. Lost... Idiot.

Lovingly Yours,

Your boy Bleu

Brice Butler has seen better days.

The backup wide receiver was expected to compete with Terrance Williams this season as both entered their contract year with the Dallas Cowboys. Instead, it was a campaign marred with errors by Butler including a dropped touchdown pass in the NFC Divisional Round.

That followed a weird unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that involved Butler entering the huddle and then exiting for the sidelines. While the latter appears to be a phantom call by a suspect officiating crew, the former is accountable only to the veteran wideout.

And he knows it, too.

“Everybody has to do their individual job to help the team," Butler said, via Fort Worth-Star Telegram. "I don’t really feel like that I helped. Then we lost, which makes it worse. Now I’ve got to sit and think about this for a couple months.”

More here: http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Brice-Butler-on-drop-I-still-dont-know-where-my-hands-were-50585579
The only bum that you thread alerted me to is your avatars. :muttley:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Can't have mentally weak players. They never improve when games get tough. Crayton was the same way

Well said. Seems to be a player that shrinks mentally when the lights are on. Can't win big relying on this type of player. He's a 50/50 guy.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Well said. Seems to be a player that shrinks mentally when the lights are on. Can't win big relying on this type of player. He's a 50/50 guy.
There's two ways I think a player can become clutch. One way is just have a solid mentality, something Dez showed, guys like Brady, Baldwin in Seattle, etc. show when it counts.

Other is through leadership. Butler on the Packers probably catches everything as well. Under Garrett for some reason fringe players don't seem as focused as opposing WRs

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Everyone loved this guys hands all year. Theres even a video someone posted of a guys youtube Cowboys blog that did top 5 catches of the season and 3 of them were Butlers.