Bunting - Cowboys LOVE T. Smith

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dbair1967;3887244 said:
I dont know what tape your looking at then, because he's been pretty good at USC. And they run a pro style offense.

He has been solid at USC while showing flashes of greatness but was exposed A LOT. Many times he looked like a 19 or 20 year old kid who needed to add some weight and needed more time on the field. The NFL is not the Pac10 and Tyron Smith is no where near NFL ready.

Your fooling yourself if your thinking any team out there is drafting this kid looking to plug him into the starting lineup today. It's not exactly a national secret that teams are concerned about how raw he is but that's also what attracts them.

Your putting WAY too much stock into this kids future potential paying off immediately.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3887235 said:
Good catch sir.

I'm still on the Peterson bandwagon but if we can't get him then Smith at 9 (or a with a slight trade down) would be ideal.

I could live with another pass rusher (Quinn, Bowers) but only if there is a plan in place to trade Spencer.

I've soured on Prince and I do not want Watt at all.

MY list at 9 is Peterson, Quinn, and Tyron. Ill throw Fairley in there 4th since its not impossible

Woods;3887240 said:
Why not Watt at all?

B/C they drafted Spears in the 1st and he is what they thought he was. Yet they think very lowly of him and he wont be back. Why use a top 10 pick on a similar player to Spears when youre hurting badly on the line and secondary?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3887255 said:
MY list at 9 is Peterson, Quinn, and Tyron. Ill throw Fairley in there 4th since its not impossible

B/C they drafted Spears in the 1st and he is what they thought he was. Yet they think very lowly of him and he wont be back. Why use a top 10 pick on a similar player tp Spears when youre hurting badly on the line and secondary?

Spears was a bust, that has nothing to do with JJ Watt's future in the NFL.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3887199 said:
They listed him at 290 his last year but they admitted they were being generous. I think Al Groh was the coach at the time and he laughed in an interview when he was asked how did D 'Brick finally get up to 290 from the 265 he played at his Junior season. Ferguson had many of the same concerns right before his draft. They worried about him having to bulk up and could he stay and play at that weight.

He also stayed for his Senior season. He went 4th. Smith will go 10th through 15th. They have pretty similar stories.

Great to hear this, because I believe it. There has been some smoke for sure. The Cowboys don't hide who they really like. That is obvious. There are so many canaries at Valley Ranch that it is funny.

Great counter points and information. The D'Brickashaw Ferguson comparison is accurate, and Smith reminds me of Ferguson, too. People were calling Ferguson a "finesse" player before he was drafted, and now he is a top 3 offensive tackle. Pro Football Focus rated him the second best run blocking LT in the NFL. Free rated first, but the pass protection isn't even close between Ferguson and Free. Free graded out barely average in pass protection according to PFF.

I really don't understand why people would be concerned with the best OT in the draft, a blue chip player worth the 9th pick for sure, (who has 2 years of RT experience) being able to step in a take over for the absolute worst RT in the NFL.

Smith's run blocking on the second level and his overall athletic ability and physical build and skill set is special. It sets him apart. Those are big weaknesses on Dallas' current offensive line, along with being old overall and way too slow on the right side. Smith is special on the edge as a run blocker and pass blocker. He's a better inline run blocker than some people perceive him to be.

Felix Jones and Tony Romo would love to get Smith on this line. I can promise you that. Smith's pass protection skills are special. His size and length is special. Smith's great feet, balance, agility, and his overall athleticism is special.

I guarantee you the Commanders would have no problem pulling the trigger on him at 10, and I bet the Cardinals will take a look at him at 5.

Mark Colombo was not the picture of pretty technique to begin with, never was on his best day.

Tyron Smith is a cornerstone player. Period. You can build your entire offensive line around him, and he could be an elite LT or RT.

It's funny, because Gabe Carimi (the self proclaimed "best OT in the draft") weighed 314 at the combine, and he was listed at 327 at Wisconsin. Is he going to lose his power, which was his calling card. Because...Carimi isn't going to excel in space, and he will have trouble with speed off the edge in the NFL. Carimi will have trouble redirecting against speed. Carimi isn't going to get better. He is as good as he is going to get. He is a true second round player, and a late first round value in this draft, imo.

Nate Solder struggles with power. Good luck putting him at RT to start off with.

Anthony Castonzo struggles with power. He needs to get stronger in his legs like Derek Sherrod.

Smith is a stronger, more physical player than Solder, Castonzo, and Sherrod, imo.

Then, you have the much lighter now Carimi, who will not excel in space in the NFL (run or pass).

Tyron Smith has the film to back up his "hype". There is a reason why he is soaring up draft boards.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the prototype NFL LT for many NFL teams. Smith is cut out of that mold for sure.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheFinisher;3887190 said:
You highlighted what he came into college at as a freshman, Ferguson hovered around 295-300 as a Senior, plus he was on an entirely different level than Smith.

Dude, you're so full of crap on this issue, lol.

Ferguson played at 295 lb his Senior year, he weighed 312 at the combine. That's a 17 pound difference.

Can you name the other OT taken in the 1st round of the 2006 Draft with Ferguson?

Let me help you....there was no other OT taken in the 1st round.

Ferguson benifitted from being in a weak OT class, he ended up being taken no. 4 overall. Do you think the Jets are "rueing" that decision?

It was a more extreme situation that what Smith is in now. This is a relatively weak OT class. If Smith can be D'Brick for the next 10 years, I won't have any complaints taking him at #9.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SDogo;3887254 said:
He has been solid at USC while showing flashes of greatness but was exposed A LOT. Many times he looked like a 19 or 20 year old kid who needed to add some weight and needed more time on the field. The NFL is not the Pac10 and Tyron Smith is no where near NFL ready.

Your fooling yourself if your thinking any team out there is drafting this kid looking to plug him into the starting lineup today. It's not exactly a national secret that teams are concerned about how raw he is but that's also what attracts them.

Your putting WAY too much stock into this kids future potential paying off immediately.

Who exposed him? I saw clips from one game where he had a few struggles, though that was a game his first yr as a starter against a very complex 3-4 defensive team. team

TheFinisher

Reaction score
realtick;3887270 said:
Dude, you're so full of crap on this issue, lol.

Ferguson played at 295 lb his Senior year, he weighed 312 at the combine. That's a 17 pound difference.

Can you name the other OT taken in the 1st round of the 2006 Draft with Ferguson?

Let me help you....there was no other OT taken in the 1st round.

Ferguson benifitted from being in a weak OT class, he ended up being taken no. 4 overall. Do you think the Jets are "rueing" that decision?

It was a more extreme situation that what Smith is in now. This is a relatively weak OT class. If Smith can be D'Brick for the next 10 years, I won't have any complaints taking him at #9.

Reading comprehension, you should try it.

I said Smith played at 280 this year, and there has never been a 1st round Tackle that played at that weight in his final year of college.

And if you're trying to say that Smith>Ferguson as prospects then you're terribly mistaken.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Jerry Jones draft philosophy for as long as I can remember it has always, always, always been that his 1st round picks are expected to be early contributors.

I see no reason why the Cowboys would depart from that philosophy. Marc Colombo is coming off a bad season and is another year older. Not to mention, cutting him would save the team money (IIRC).

TheFinisher

Reaction score
realtick;3887293 said:
Jerry Jones draft philosophy for as long as I can remember it has always, always, always been that his 1st round picks are expected to be early contributors.

I see no reason why the Cowboys would depart from that philosophy. Marc Colombo is coming off a bad season and is another year older. Not to mention, cutting him would save the team money (IIRC).

This totally contradicts your support for Smith, he's extremely raw and most likely will be nothing more than a swing tackle as a rookie. Thanks for playing.
;)

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheFinisher;3887297 said:
This totally contradicts your support for Smith, he's extremely raw and most likely will be nothing more than a swing tackle as a rookie. Thanks for playing.
;)

It doesn't contradict it all bonehead.

My contention is that if he's drafted by the Cowboys, he'll start barring injury.

Now go back to surfing YouTube for highlights.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
realtick;3887300 said:
It doesn't contradict it all bonehead.

My contention is that if he's drafted by the Cowboys, he'll start barring injury.

Now go back to surfing YouTube for highlights.

:laugh2:

You're right, just because he's our 1st round pick means Garrett will have no other choice but to start him, even if he's a year removed from being ready.

please keep going, I'm enjoying your insight.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dbair1967;3887283 said:
Who exposed him? I saw clips from one game where he had a few struggles, though that was a game his first yr as a starter against a very complex 3-4 defensive team. team

More refined players, stronger players (everyone in the NFL will be stronger), complex stunts. Listen I'm not saying the kids lost but he is far from a finished product. He is young by even college standards. Hell, the kid has to even finished growing or developing his body.

I guarantee if some team lines him up as a starter on day 1 this league is going to eat him alive. I like Smith to most rookie QB's. You rush him in there and dont prepare him you may lose him for good. Hand him a clipboard, throw him some weights and let him get his ears wet.

His future is unlimited but the game is bigger then he is ready to handle right now.

I'm sorry, I see what everyone see's on these clips but if you look at his entire body of work he is still simply a project that is a year or two away.

I'm even willing to put down (and someone can put this in quotes) that when the draft rolls around he's going to drop further then people are projecting now. I would not be shocked at all if he ends up in the 18-23 range.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheFinisher;3887314 said:
:laugh2:

You're right, just because he's our 1st round pick means Garrett will have no other choice but to start him, even if he's a year removed from being ready.

please keep going, I'm enjoying your insight.

Lol, you're reaching at this point.

Your entire knowledge base regarding Smith consists of a five-minute clip found on YouTube.

Please keep posting though, I thoroughly enjoy your incessant whining....

"...well, I'm not impressed....buh, buh, but how come I don't see him pancaking anyone...buh Dug Phreee izzz our startin' LT!"

TheFinisher

Reaction score
realtick;3887326 said:
Lol, you're reaching at this point.

Your entire knowledge base regarding Smith consists of a five-minute clip found on YouTube.

Please keep posting though, I thoroughly enjoy your incessant whining....

"...well, I'm not impressed....buh, buh, but how come I don't see him pancaking anyone...buh Dug Phreee izzz our startin' LT!"

... and I'm reaching

:bow: :bow: :lmao2: :lmao2:

You have no idea what my knowledge base of Smith is, but I can make a pretty accurate assumption of your knowledge about him being that you said he's on the same level as Ferguson when he was coming out. Anyone who remembers Ferguson as a prospect and has seen Smith this year would never make that statement. Ferguson was thought of as a top 5 lock going INTO his Senior season, and garnered 1st team All American honors that year. Smith is EXTREMELY raw and most likely will not be NFL ready in year 1. That's not to say he can't develop into a good player, but with our imminent need for a RT it would be wise to find a more polished RT than Smith who can step in from day 1.

Also, whether you realize it or not, a LT is valued way more than a RT. The fact that we already have a LT who is young will very much be discussed in the war room, and is the main reason why I don't believe we will draft Smith. Drafting a guy to play RT for you at 9 would be a terrible move from a value standpoint.

Now go back to playing in the sandbox.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I'm just not high on Tyron, because I like my offensive linemen BIG, STRONG and NASTY... so I'm not saying he won't be a good pro, but he is what I call a "finesse" linemen...

I know, a lot of teams these days are going toward smaller, quicker offensive lines, but IMO there are blockers in the draft who are bigger, but still plenty quick... IOW, I don't want some 350 pounder who you could time in the 40 using a sundial... gimme some more of what Hudson Houck likes, those "big butts", just pick through and find the ones with some quickness...

In this draft, my favorite first round OL prospect is Carimi, who IMO fits the profile that I'm looking for... I also like Marcus Cannon a lot, for the same reason (in the 2nd round, not the 1st)... and I don't care at all for Nate Solder, since most scouts seem to think he's best suited to a zone blocking scheme...

RS12

Reaction score
Sturm in Q/A today was a proponent of taking him at 9, said he thought he was low risk FWIW.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
silverbear;3887373 said:
I'm just not high on Tyron, because I like my offensive linemen BIG, STRONG and NASTY... so I'm not saying he won't be a good pro, but he is what I call a "finesse" linemen...

I know, a lot of teams these days are going toward smaller, quicker offensive lines, but IMO there are blockers in the draft who are bigger, but still plenty quick... IOW, I don't want some 350 pounder who you could time in the 40 using a sundial... gimme some more of what Hudson Houck likes, those "big butts", just pick through and find the ones with some quickness...

In this draft, my favorite first round OL prospect is Carimi, who IMO fits the profile that I'm looking for... I also like Marcus Cannon a lot, for the same reason (in the 2nd round, not the 1st)... and I don't care at all for Nate Solder, since most scouts seem to think he's best suited to a zone blocking scheme...

I like your thinking

supercowboy8

Reaction score
RS12;3887377 said:
Sturm in Q/A today was a proponent of taking him at 9, said he thought he was low risk FWIW.

well we are a not even a month away, still alot of time between now and then and I'm sure there will be reports about Dallas is in love with two other players.
First it was prince, then miller, then Watt and Jordan and now its Smith.
Only time will tell.