Burrows could turn Cowboys around

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Looking at it the Commanders gave the Rams their 1st (6th) and 2nd (39) in 2012, plus their first in 2013 (22) and their first in 2014 (2) to move up to #2 where they drafted Robert Griffin III.

(History note: The Rams then sent the 6th pick to the Cowboys where we drafted Morris Claiborne)

But that might be your starting point in negotiations for this deal. I'm not a big Burrow fan, but I'm damn sure not a Burrow fan of any kind at that price.
There really is no price too great if he becomes the next Elite QB leading us to into contention for championships the next 10-15 years.

I’m not sure why we continue believing this ownership and front office have the ability to build a championship contender around a less than Elite QB. We haven’t in 20 years.

Last edited:

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Our number 1 for the next two years and Byron Jones might do it. Course you would have to sign Jones first and the Bengal's willing to pay him that amount. PS. If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry christmas.
Yea, and still not fix the defense, so, it would be business as usual.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
When we ran out of fry bread and the Pimas and Santa Clarans menaced us, did I bail?
When that hot air balloon was spewing hot air and we were falling on the Texas state line, did I say count me out? No, I climbed up and patched that balloon with yucca and green Chile and saved the day. When Dick Knifing fell and exclaimed "I've fallen and I can't get up!" did I walk away?

We need your advocacy!

We need Burrows/Burreaux!!!!

Auhhhh....... You've impressed me. Not everybody knows Dick Knifing.

d3a7647518dfd83e45e57809bd1f8575.jpg

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the common denominator is they all went into good situations not total bottom feeder crap teams with the possible exception of Brees.

That’s the difference here IMO and why this is so intriguing.
That just further makes the point that it isn't all about the QB, and that building a team is important. And it doesn't change the fact we are still just talking about 5 guys, and that guys like that are so rare it took 20 years of drafts to produce those 5 guys. And the thing is, with good drafts and some key free agents, you can build a team, but to find one of those rare "elite" QB's isn't even assured with a top 5 draft pick, much less a #17 draft pick.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That just further makes the point that it isn't all about the QB, and that building a team is important. And it doesn't change the fact we are still just talking about 5 guys, and that guys like that are so rare it took 20 years of drafts to produce those 5 guys. And the thing is, with good drafts and some key free agents, you can build a team, but to find one of those rare "elite" QB's isn't even assured with a top 5 draft pick, much less a #17 draft pick.
I understand but the issue at hand is this is an optimum situation for a talent to come in and make an immediate impact more so than bottom feeder teams which was the argument I thought.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but the issue at hand is this is an optimum situation for a talent to come in and make an immediate impact more so than bottom feeder teams which was the argument I thought.
The optimum situation occurs by building the team, not by saying we have to count on finding one needle in the haystack type of player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Laughable. Toting a college QB who has never played in the NFL. To a guy who is and will be.

It' not hard to imagine.
It’s all about talent and why these studs coming out of college are so highly pursued every year.

Perhaps it’s difficult for Cowboy fans with Starrry eyes for their own guy in Dak to look outside the scope but I bet most fans around the league and critics would opt for Burrow.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The optimum situation occurs by building the team, not by saying we have to count on finding one needle in the haystack type of player.
Would you call Mahomes a needle in a haystack.

They don’t come along very often. And they don’t usually have this type of situation to jump into.

We shouldn’t ever underestimate the impact of Elite talent . Imagine if we had the same impact of talent at QB as we’ve had on OL, RB and WR.

That doesn’t have to be a bash on our current QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How long do you think it’s going to take to build an Elite defense to carry our QB?

We have an opportunity to bring in an Elite QB who with this existing supporting cast could carry our defense.

visionary

Reaction score

largely agree but the only exception is a franchise QB. A franchise QB is the difference between contending regularly and once and then being relegated to the dustbin of history

if you believe that Burrow or Tua (I would lean to Tua) are true franchise QBs then you do what is necessary to get him unless you already have a franchise QB (which we don’t)

If Tua checks out medically I would be trying to trade up to 5 with Miami if he is there but our FO will not do that

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In 1971 we had a championship caliber team with a QB prob good enough to win a championship. He was after all good enough to be 1st QB to start for two different teams in a SB but Landry thought we needed a spark . A greater talent . And he was right. The rest is history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you call Mahomes a needle in a haystack.

They don’t come along very often. And they don’t usually have this type of situation to jump into.

We shouldn’t ever underestimate the impact of Elite talent . Imagine if we had the same impact of talent at QB as we’ve had on OL, RB and WR.

That doesn’t have to be a bash on our current QB.
Of the 177 QBs that have been drafted since Rodgers was drafted in the 1st round in 2005, only Wilson and Mahomes have been considered elite, so yes, I would call finding Mahomes a needle in a haystack.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
largely agree but the only exception is a franchise QB. A franchise QB is the difference between contending regularly and once and then being relegated to the dustbin of history

if you believe that Burrow or Tua (I would lean to Tua) are true franchise QBs then you do what is necessary to get him unless you already have a franchise QB (which we don’t)

If Tua checks out medically I would be trying to trade up to 5 with Miami if he is there but our FO will not do that
I would love to have Burrow, and I agree Tua would be a good option, but it's a lot easier to talk about moving from the 17th pick to the 1st pick than it is to actually do.

visionary

Reaction score
I would love to have Burrow, and I agree Tua would be a good option, but it's a lot easier to talk about moving from the 17th pick to the 1st pick than it is to actually do.

it would take a lot of draft capital but it would us 40 mill more in FA and get us a QB who can be an elite QB

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
my choice would be:

1. Justin Herbert Oregon
  2. Jacob Eason Washington
  3. Riley Neal Vanderbilt

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it would take a lot of draft capital but it would us 40 mill more in FA and get us a QB who can be an elite QB
I'm not at all convinced Dak is holding out for $40 million, but certainly it would be at least between $32-35 million.

There are other stumbling blocks too though, not the least of which is that the teams with the top few picks aren't likely to be willing to move down as far as the 17th pick. They might be willing to make a deal with, for example, the Chargers, who have the 6th overall pick, but it's a lot less attractive to move all the way down to 17.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How long do you think it’s going to take to build an Elite defense to carry our QB?

We have an opportunity to bring in an Elite QB who with this existing supporting cast could carry our defense.

I don’t think we will be able to rely on the roster once Dak, Amari, and Zeke’s contracts all kick in.

Our biggest hope is McCarthy being one of the best coaches in the league and I’m not confident after they decided to not let him be the playcaller.