CFZ Bust Decisions

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

Here are the guys I think we now have enough evidence to say they are busts:
  • CB Nashon Wright. ST guy at best. Can’t cover. He needs to be released.
  • T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You're on the Jalen Tolbert train? He wasn't terrible but I didn't see a whole lot out of him myself. Would love an all-out competition for that spot of his and if a rookie or camp invitee shows more upside, I'm just fine letting him go.

75boyz

Reaction score
Good choices and reasoning overall although I have concerns with a couple.

I think whatever experiment Zimmer chooses to continue with the weight gain/ weight loss of Mazi Charlton will be interesting to watch in the first year to second year hopeful improvement phase with him. Being able to speed up his get off is something I'm skeptical of. Very poor scouting imo.

I'm not as sold on Tolbert as you may be in that it appears he has strictly a WR3 ceiling.
Maybe that's not a complete bust but a watered down version nonetheless.

I'm with ya on the rest.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't see how you can put Schoonmaker and Mazi in the same category.

Schoonmaker may never be great, but he played a lot of snaps this year on both offense and special teams. He'll at least be a decent contributor.

Mazi, on the other hand, was completely worthless. He barely played, and when he did he was awful. There is some major problem with him that no reporter (for some reason, I guess team pressure) wants to tell us about.

At a lower level, although it's too early to say, I strongly suspect Eric Scott can't play. Not even active for a single game when you had injuries at the position.

Last edited:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
If Quinn is said to have/preferred more versatile, hybrid linebackers and secondary players...how does this fit with what Zimmer is known to do?

Zimmer seemed to have run productive 4-3 when everyone was moving to 3-4 years back. I dont know about his defenses in Playoff competition though.

FanofJerry

Reaction score

Schoonmaker may never be great, but he played a lot of snaps this year on both offense and special teams. He'll at least be a decent contributor.

Mazi, on the other hand, was completely worthless. He barely played, and when he did he was awful. There is some major problem with him that no reporter (for some reason, I guess team pressure) wants to tell us about.

At a lower level, although it's too early to say, I strongly suspect Eric Scott can't play. Not even active for a single game when you had injuries at the position.
Assuming Schoon has done a good enough job to keep a roster spot...

Just do not throw the ball to this guy in crucial situations. His hands were not reliable this year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

• T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
I too wouldnt call Mazi a bust right now. He may be a good player in the future.

But your issue is "bust decissions". And Mazi to me is the prototypical bad or bust decission.

In a normal (not good, not bad) draft you want at least your first round pick to be a first day starter.
Especially when your actual starting player (Hankins) is medicore at best.

Mazi hasnt been on the field a lot and when he was he hasnt been looking good. Whats more is that he has health issues that forced him to lose a lot of weight. And with his diagnosis it is to be expected that he will lose even more.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You're on the Jalen Tolbert train? He wasn't terrible but I didn't see a whole lot out of him myself. Would love an all-out competition for that spot of his and if a rookie or camp invitee shows more upside, I'm just fine letting him go.
I don't have a huge issue with that stance, but given the lack of depth at the position I'm skeptical we see enough true competition to push him out, especially assuming Gallup is cut. I would actually assume that Turpin is probably more on the chopping block than Tolbert unless we change our approach to special teams to actually use the guy.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think I would keep Gallimore or Gholston, maybe both. It takes years to bulk up a DT. Your gonna keep Mazi, Hankins and Odihigzuwa regardless. I don't see how if you have 3/4 DTs on the field and Lawrence you can't stop the run. Plus I like having as stout goalline defense. I also like how Detroit runs 5 Lineman at times. I would try to resign Armstrong and draft a DE early, or maybe you do let Armstrong go and sign a 1 year FA before the draft.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Mazi was in the rotation all year. It might only have been as little as 1 out of 4 snaps he was in but that is not 'barely playing" when the denominator is 1200 snaps and 17 opponents.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi and Schoonmaker in year 2, let's see how they improve. Too bad many fans can't wait.

Agree, Wright and Gallimore must go. Gallimore is a FA, will DQ make a trade for Wright, even if a 6th or 7th round pick. I will take it.
Ball, I may give him another year, at least for some depth, unless they find a FA or draft a replacement. Sometimes it takes a while to get over those injury bugs.

Same for Goltson, give him another year, or draft a replacement, maybe DQ trades for him as well. I can move on from him.
Waletzgo, I would hang onto to him for another year as well, but same as Ball, draft or a FA can replace him.

Sam Williams. I keep him for sure, he has potential, so maybe Zimmer can teach some discipline as that may be more the reason he did stupid stuff.

Tolbert and Brooks need more time.

What about Damon Clark though, I thought he was on the verge to break out, then seems he did nothing. Was DQ using him wrong last year. I would like to see what Zimmer does with him as well.
Depends how many LB's they bring in to compete.

Mukaumo, I can move on from him as well. And Eric Scott, who seems to be slow, I never liked that trade. Trade him to DQ's team as well.

The reality of it though. You really can't dump all of these players. You still need core players. Between FA and the draft, and if any are trade, which I doubt. Can they find enough decent enough to replace them. Unless you are a fan of blowing up the team from that stand point.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I wouldn't call Neville gallimore a bust he's a third round pick late 3rd rounder more than likely, he's a really good role player he could be the second or third guy in you need a lot of guys along the defensive line for rotational purposes especially at tackle.. I can't see how you would put Chauncey Golston over him... I look at it this way if Neville gallimore remains on this roster and is a good rotational guy he's not a bust he's simply a late third round pick that's gonna be a role player only.... No like he was taken in the first round with a lot of expectations definitely should be starters in front of him he's behind OSA.. Obviously we need some stronger candidates along the defensive tackle spot maybe another nose tackle or a really good three tech..

And Sam Williams shouldn't be nowhere near your list he is not a bust he is a second round talent that has second round skills and even though he's had some moments that put him in the doghouse off the field and some penalties because of his high energy full motor he needs to get a little smarter but if he doesn't make the team it's not gonna be because he was a bust it would be more like maturity issues and a guy who is having trouble growing up and making himself into a more productive NFL player... But he in my opinion it's a first round talent that got picked in the second round and hasn't really got a chance if you end up with no Armstrong and no Fowler this year I think he'll end up proving himself....

I think that at times, and this is completely my take on it completely and opinion but Sam Williams is feeling the pressure because he gets very limited snaps because I believe the coaches put him in the doghouse for his two off field incidents some of which may not be fully recognized by the NFL yet he could be suspended but I think when he's on the field he's trying too hard he really wants to make those plays and his first step is awesome his speed to the quarterback or the kicker or punter is top notch the problem is he doesn't let up because he has limited time to showcase his skill set and I believe he's a little over eager...​
I think if he's given a lot more snaps and giving the green light to just be himself by the coaches I think he's gonna be a valid solid replacement for tank or he could be starting opposite of tank if Mike Zimmer wants to use Micah Parsons has an outside linebacker and more off the ball this coming season...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think I would keep Gallimore or Gholston, maybe both. It takes years to bulk up a DT. Your gonna keep Mazi, Hankins and Odihigzuwa regardless. I don't see how if you have 3/4 DTs on the field and Lawrence you can't stop the run. Plus I like having as stout goalline defense. I also like how Detroit runs 5 Lineman at times. I would try to resign Armstrong and draft a DE early, or maybe you do let Armstrong go and sign a 1 year FA before the draft.
Problem is both Gallimore and Golston are better pass players than run defenders. I'd consider keeping Golston as he can be depth both inside and kick out to end. My guess is that the Gallimore train has made it's last stop in Dallas though. I think you have a solid pass rush on the interior between rotating Golson/OSA. I'd look for a player who is more of a true run defender to round out the depth at DT.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Mazi was in the rotation all year. It might only have been as little as 1 out of 4 snaps he was in but that is not 'barely playing" when the denominator is 1200 snaps and 17 opponents.
Yeah him and Hankins were about the same as far as snap counts go. Granted Hankins missed a couple games due to injury we are still talking about just a handfull of snaps per game difference between the two players.