CFZ Bust Decisions

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
@Bobhaze Brother, how is Nahshon Wright a bust? He has improved his PFF rating every year the past 3 years (2021: 45.7; 2022: 51.8; 2023: 60.1). This shows Nahshon Wright has improved every year, plus he's a very good special teamer. So far, after 3 years, Nahshon Wright at a 60.1 PFF grade shows he a solid backup CB and a key special team's starter. I say the Cowboys should allow him to finish his last (4th) year of his rookie contract and see if he can improve even more before making a decision to keep or let him go for 2025.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd have to add Williams to the bust list. Not based on his performance in sacks, etc. but based on, as you noted, the stupidity.

The man has probably been playing football since he was a kid, 4 years of high school, and 4 years of college. For him to continually make the stupid plays to me means he just doesn't have the mental aspect of the game. And that's not something you can teach. Like speed, you have "football smarts" or you don't. You can fine tune speed a bit with flexibility exercises, etc., but you aren't turning a 4.8 forty guy into a 4.4 guy, as an analogy.

With Sam even fine tuning won't help, he'll pull a Leon Lett (see the Miami game) at the worst possible time.

Get rid of him now (trade if possible) and replace him....

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
@Bobhaze Brother, how is Nahshon Wright a bust? He has improved his PFF rating every year the past 3 years (2021: 45.7; 2022: 51.8; 2023: 60.1). This shows Nahshon Wright has improved every year, plus he's a very good special teamer. So far, after 3 years, Nahshon Wright at a 60.1 PFF grade shows he a solid backup CB and a key special team's starter. I say the Cowboys should allow him to finish his last (4th) year of his rookie contract and see if he can improve even more before making a decision to keep or let him go for 2025.
I dont hate Wright, I'd actually love to see things click for him as a, but his PFF rating is pretty irrelevant here. The guy played 33 snaps last year so the sample size is all you really need to know. Hes a bigger CB at 6-4 which can be nice for him in the run game and as you mentioned he isnt a bad ST player either. That said though I would absolutely make him earn his job going into 2024. I wouldn't hesitate to give his spot to a rookie that you get the next 1-4 years to develop if Wright doesn't impress in camp and push for playing time.

Creeper

Reaction score
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

Here are the guys I think we now have enough evidence to say they are busts:
  • CB Nashon Wright. ST guy at best. Can’t cover. He needs to be released.
  • T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?
I have to agree with this although calling someone like Wright a bust as a 3rd round pick might be stretching it. I assume you mean bust in terms of never really becoming a serious contributor to the team.

I thought Ball was looking pretty good a LG until he got hurt, but as you said, that is his problem. He is always hurt. If you backup is always hurt is it not much help. Let's see if he can make it through camp this year. Then, even if he does, can he beat out Bass and Hoffman to be the backup G? I don't know. This year is definitely a put up or get lost year for Ball.

Gallimore is not just a bust, he is a major disappointment too. I really thought he would develop into a decent DT after his rookie year but he just has not improved at all since his rookie season. I was hoping they would trade up to take Madubuike in that draft but they stayed where they were and the pickings were slim at that point.

I think Golston has already peaked. I just don't see him improving at all. I expect Fehoko to take his place this year. I think Golston is too slow for DE and too weak for DT. He also makes the occasional play but usually it's because the play gets flushed out to him.

Williams has too much talent to be as unproductive as he is but I think his problem is his lack of football smarts. That's something that will never improve with time. Maybe if he got more playing time he would show some improvement. With Armstrong and Fowler becoming FA this year Williams will have a better chance to do something. He has to stay out of trouble in the off-season though.

I am already done with Waletzko. He is another player I just do not see what the Cowboys see in him. He has also had injuries. I would probably take Asim Richards over Waletzko right now. I am hoping Richards dedicates himself to getting stronger in the off season and he makes a significant leap in 2024.

I also think Jalen Tolbert is on the bubble. He needs to become more of a contributor in 2024. If not then he will be a bust to me.

The 2021 draft is looking pretty bad to me right now. They got Micah, but Joseph, Golston, Cox, Ball, Simi Fehoko, Bohanna, and Farniok are gone or have no contributed. Of course that class include Odighizuwa and Mukuamu who have looked good at times but 10 draft picks to get 2 good players and 1 good backup is not going to get the job done, especially when the owner will not shell out for free agents.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I guess DQ wanted a tall lanky player with long arms to play STs when he lobbied for Nashon Wright in the 3rd.

The 49ers get guys like Greenlaw and Warner in the 3rd and 5th. We get guys like Nashon and Waletzko

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Guys like Williams and Tolbert need to earn more reps or go away. I like Williams, he is pretty good on ST even with the penalties but needs to be ore consistent as a DE same with Tolbert. These coaches have got to do a better job helping the young guys earn more playing time in situations they can succeed in.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Problem is both Gallimore and Golston are better pass players than run defenders. I'd consider keeping Golston as he can be depth both inside and kick out to end. My guess is that the Gallimore train has made it's last stop in Dallas though. I think you have a solid pass rush on the interior between rotating Golson/OSA. I'd look for a player who is more of a true run defender to round out the depth at DT.
I just wonder if that is because the DTs were slimmed down to rush the passer. Bulk them up 20LBs and maybe that’s a different story. Still I want a true NT maybe two 320lb+ guys. Then again I’m a 34 defense fan I’d like 3 NTs, Lawrence and another rush LB…..keep Parsons at ILB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I just wonder if that is because the DTs were slimmed down to rush the passer. Bulk them up 20LBs and maybe that’s a different story. Still I want a true NT maybe two 320lb+ guys. Then again I’m a 34 defense fan I’d like 3 NTs, Lawrence and another rush LB…..keep Parsons at ILB.I
Don't think 20 more lbs will make a huge difference. One Mazi gets locked onto by an o-lineman, weight is out the window, strength is more important. He did fantastic on the bench at the combine, but does he have the leg strength to go with it? Maybe he needs to add some strength there.

I do think we'll be able to tell a lot more about him this year....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don't see how you can put Schoonmaker and Mazi in the same category.

Schoonmaker may never be great, but he played a lot of snaps this year on both offense and special teams. He'll at least be a decent contributor.

Mazi, on the other hand, was completely worthless. He barely played, and when he did he was awful. There is some major problem with him that no reporter (for some reason, I guess team pressure) wants to tell us about.

At a lower level, although it's too early to say, I strongly suspect Eric Scott can't play. Not even active for a single game when you had injuries at the position.
Agree. Schoon is a bust considering his draft spot. But will definitely play out his entire contract. Re-sign… we’ll see.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont hate Wright, I'd actually love to see things click for him as a, but his PFF rating is pretty irrelevant here. The guy played 33 snaps last year so the sample size is all you really need to know. Hes a bigger CB at 6-4 which can be nice for him in the run game and as you mentioned he isnt a bad ST player either. That said though I would absolutely make him earn his job going into 2024. I wouldn't hesitate to give his spot to a rookie that you get the next 1-4 years to develop if Wright doesn't impress in camp and push for playing time.
If a 6th or 7th rounder shows more, make the move. If Wright can't prove he is better than a rookie, cut him.

He doesn't get a roster spot just because he has one more year left on his deal.

rags747

Reaction score
Tolbert? Really? Did he have over or under 10 catches this year?!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My belief is that a third round pick, after 3 full seasons should at least be a rotational contributor and not just a decent STs player and backup CB. And when he’s played, IMO he’s not that dependable. I believe there are 50 guys in the draft that can give you as much as Wright but with more upside.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?
*Not* too soon to say Mazi and Schoonmaker are disappointments.

Especially Mazi, because he had plenty of snaps to acclimate to the NFL.

And speaking of snaps, Mazi only got 4 against the Packers. When we desperately needed some run defense. And have no DTs to give it. He only got 4 snaps. That the team would *humiliate* him like that tells you they've given up on him as a real player. He's a warm body.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My belief is that a third round pick, after 3 full seasons should at least be a rotational contributor and not just a decent STs player and backup CB. And when he’s played, IMO he’s not that dependable. I believe there are 50 guys in the draft that can give you as much as Wright but with more upside.
Agreed. You're right, BH.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's silly and you know it.

How about the proof that he only played four snaps in the playoff game and was behind spares like Gallimore? Do you think the coaches did that because he was doing such a great job?
Again. No direct evidence. Just this backdoor logic that only proves that it is possible. There are reasons other than 'he's terrible' such as losing 40 lbs. Your deduction is poorly constructed.

I can do the same type of logic, if his play as so poor for so long then a simple google search would render it. I find stuff about him being late off the snap and not being blown up. You use laziness as an excuse for presumption.

Mazi has all kinds of issues but you cannot talk about his play as it was on the field.