CFZ Bust Decisions

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would be nice if you could cash in a couple of draft picks and get a do over if you didn’t like what you saw their rookie year. I would cash in Mazi and Schoonmaker.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
People are down on Mazi and Schoon because they are 1st and 2nd round picks.....picks you suppose will make an impact and should make an impact. Had they been 4th or 5th rounders we'd be more patient. But they are close to being busts, and i mean Dolly Parton kind of busts. I think the Great Waletzko can be written off, i don't see him being a factor Sure he is a 5th rounder but going into his 4th season he is still questionable in talent and is being passed by the newer guys coming in already. I have more hope for Richards, Bass or even Hoffman over this guy. And they will probably draft a high round OT too.

Not really thrilled with Golston, Galliimore, Ball, Scott and Wright...all can go kick rocks. Waste of a roster spot and hope they don't keep someone more worthy off a spot because of them.

loublue22

Reaction score
the only time I notice Sam Williams is when he's doing something stupid

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi was in the rotation all year. It might only have been as little as 1 out of 4 snaps he was in but that is not 'barely playing" when the denominator is 1200 snaps and 17 opponents.
I don't see how you can put Schoonmaker and Mazi in the same category.

Schoonmaker may never be great, but he played a lot of snaps this year on both offense and special teams. He'll at least be a decent contributor.

Mazi, on the other hand, was completely worthless. He barely played, and when he did he was awful. There is some major problem with him that no reporter (for some reason, I guess team pressure) wants to tell us about.

At a lower level, although it's too early to say, I strongly suspect Eric Scott can't play. Not even active for a single game when you had injuries at the position.
Mazi
28% of defensive snaps

Schoonmaker
31% of offensive snaps

Not much difference...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

Here are the guys I think we now have enough evidence to say they are busts:
  • CB Nashon Wright. ST guy at best. Can’t cover. He needs to be released.
  • T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?
Josh Ball does not take up a roster spot when on IR and does not cost much.

Same for Waletzko.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Again. No direct evidence. Just this backdoor logic that only proves that it is possible. There are reasons other than 'he's terrible' such as losing 40 lbs. Your deduction is poorly constructed.

I can do the same type of logic, if his play as so poor for so long then a simple google search would render it. I find stuff about him being late off the snap and not being blown up. You use laziness as an excuse for presumption.

Mazi has all kinds of issues but you cannot talk about his play as it was on the field.
I'm not here to argue back and forth, but I guess I don't understand what you're getting at. It's my opinion from watching him closely that he was awful. This isn't mathematics or philosophy class, and it's not a matter of "proof" or "logic." I don't care what search results from Google say... many of which probably turn up a bunch of fan cheerleading from BTB and the like. My eyes saw that he was awful and got worse. He often got pushed around badly even when single blocked by average players.

If your eyes saw otherwise, good for you, I guess. But it seems to me the coaches agreed more with me. Maybe they just need Google.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Sam Williams is worse than a bust. His attitudes and behaviors are toxic for a football team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is both Gallimore and Golston are better pass players than run defenders. I'd consider keeping Golston as he can be depth both inside and kick out to end. My guess is that the Gallimore train has made it's last stop in Dallas though. I think you have a solid pass rush on the interior between rotating Golson/OSA. I'd look for a player who is more of a true run defender to round out the depth at DT.
That would be a solid interior rush with a starting 3 tech going on a calendar year between sacks and his backup who has 3.5 sacks in his 3 year career.

Right after the season it's clean house time. We're now at the lets keep every scrub we can because I have fan feelings time of year.

Flush all these bums. Osa can stay as the backup he really is.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mazi
28% of defensive snaps

Schoonmaker
31% of offensive snaps

Not much difference...
Between these two if that's the little debate going on here and who showed more promise he was definitely schoonmaker he's in a position where we saw him catch balls in traffic he caught a couple of touchdowns he blocked pretty well given more snaps I believe he's going to be the better pick who probably survives the roster... There aren't a lot of targets to go around outside of CD lamb Ferguson cooks and the way they use Turpin and mix in everyone else I don't know why people think somehow a #3 wide receiver and a #2 tight end are gonna get a lot of targets or a lot of opportunities because they're not.. The fact is schoonmaker got a late start he got injured didn't see a lot of camp it was a brand new offense that didn't even take off until about week 5 whenever Mike McCarthy decided to start getting the ball down the field and start spreading the ball around I believe everyone's being hard on this dude I think he's actually a solid pick I think he's gonna end up actually turn out to be pretty solid...

He's the best Yang to the Yang in the tight end room we got a guy who can jump over people's athletic quick for a tight end in Ferguson that's gonna get a lot of targets and you got a guy doing The Dirty work that might slip out every once in a while and and make a few plays and I realized he was a late second round pick and people are a little upset he may have been the reach and I say as long as he has a role on his team and we could see some progress I think he's better than mazi..

I hope they both progress but being one is more in the open easier to see easier to judge you're gonna have to look to the offensive player in the first place...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Ball does not take up a roster spot when on IR and does not cost much.

Same for Waletzko.
Right but neither can help this team when on IR.

IMO Waletzko deserves another year of possible development. But Ball has been a hospital case since he arrived and even when healthy showed little ability to succeed at this level.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not here to argue back and forth, but I guess I don't understand what you're getting at. It's my opinion from watching him closely that he was awful. This isn't mathematics or philosophy class, and it's not a matter of "proof" or "logic." I don't care what search results from Google say... many of which probably turn up a bunch of fan cheerleading from BTB and the like. My eyes saw that he was awful and got worse. He often got pushed around badly even when single blocked by average players.

If your eyes saw otherwise, good for you, I guess. But it seems to me the coaches agreed more with me. Maybe they just need Google.
Epistemology is about how you can learn something to be true or not. What I get from this, you feel like you have presumption and are unable to back your word. That should matter no matter where you are.

You claim he got pushed around constantly and cannot find anything to support your position. It is what it is.