CFZ Bust Decisions

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Mazi is a bust. Hated the pick the moment it was made.I
Bust or not, the pick was bad, because in this pass-happy league, every DT is expected to provide at least a modicum of a pass rush. Mazi had 0.5 sacks in college, geez, you would think the qbs would have had a few bad snaps and Mazi could just fall on him for a sack.

I suspect that's why Dallas made him lose weight, to try and get a bit more quickness off the ball. If so, didn't work....

fivetwos

Reaction score
That would be a solid interior rush with a starting 3 tech going on a calendar year between sacks and his backup who has 3.5 sacks in his 3 year career.

Right after the season it's clean house time. We're now at the lets keep every scrub we can because I have fan feelings time of year.

Flush all these bums. Osa can stay as the backup he really is.
The second and third rounds of the Dan Quinn draft killed what this roster ought to look like at the moment. Five premium picks netted one player….and a half I guess.

Hasn’t really gotten much better since. Too many high picks are giving them next to nothing.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'd say your lists of busts is fair. Wright, Ball, and Gallimore just can't play at this level.

Golston can play a bit, and there are lower expectations for a 3rd round comp pick, so I wouldn't call him a bust. He's a JAG though.

Williams can play, but makes stupid, drive-extending mistakes that more than offset whatever pressure he contributes. It's frustrating because he just can't be trusted.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The second and third rounds of the Dan Quinn draft killed what this roster ought to look like at the moment. Five premium picks netted one player….and a half I guess.

Hasn’t really gotten much better since. Too many high picks are giving them next to nothing.
And the praise for McClay continues.

I hope he writes a book someday. "How to always draft well all of the time." by Will McClay. With a foreword by Taco Charlton.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi was drafted to be the day 1 starter at NT. That is a huge difference, in terms of expectations.
They had to know that Mazi would take time to develop. That was very obvious from watching his college game footage.

The problem is that in year's past they had DTs to low on their draft board relative to other positions. They had 2nd round grades on multiple DTs in past year's that were drafted late 1st by other teams.

IIRC, Kenny Clark was one of them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

Here are the guys I think we now have enough evidence to say they are busts:
  • CB Nashon Wright. ST guy at best. Can’t cover. He needs to be released.
  • T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?
Gallimore is a free agent.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe it takes at least 2 and probably 3 full seasons to know whether a player is a bust or not. The Cowboys have several players on their roster now that it is safe to say are busts which will be listed later. BUT…although Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker had disappointing first years here, it’s still too early to declare them busts.

We saw Jalen Tolbert have a terrible rookie season followed by lots of improvement. He's an example of not giving up on a guy too early. Dorance Armstrong is a guy who took some time to develop. (We may not be able to afford him going forward because of his development as a good pass rusher) Point is, you can’t give up on a guy too early.

Here are the guys I think we now have enough evidence to say they are busts:
  • CB Nashon Wright. ST guy at best. Can’t cover. He needs to be released.
  • T Josh Ball- Always injured and even when he was healthy just never showed much.
  • DL Neville Gallimore- he’s just average. Can make an occasional play but we can draft someone with more upside to give us that.
To me, we need to release those three guys. Enough evidence out there to say goodbye.
Here are the players I would put on BUST WATCH meaning they are in danger if they don’t improve or show more:
  • Chauncey Goldston - decent at times but again, finding a guy who can give you 1 sack a year and few tackles is not hard.
  • Sam Williams- this will surprise some. SW has big talent but his stupid penalties, off field stupidity and lack of consistency make his next season important to prove he’s worth keeping around.
  • Matt Waletzko - like Josh Ball has struggled to stay healthy. He must show this year that he can stay healthy and contribute.
I know many fans will say Mazi is a bust. Maybe he is but it’s still too early to give up on him or any other drafted rookies. But the clock is ticking.
Anyone else on your “bust watch”?
Might as well add this years 4th round pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see how you can put Schoonmaker and Mazi in the same category.

Schoonmaker may never be great, but he played a lot of snaps this year on both offense and special teams. He'll at least be a decent contributor.

Mazi, on the other hand, was completely worthless. He barely played, and when he did he was awful. There is some major problem with him that no reporter (for some reason, I guess team pressure) wants to tell us about.

At a lower level, although it's too early to say, I strongly suspect Eric Scott can't play. Not even active for a single game when you had injuries at the position.
It'st already been said, no one listens. Lack of lateral agility. Which explains his play to the nth.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mazi and Schoonmaker in year 2, let's see how they improve. Too bad many fans can't wait.

Agree, Wright and Gallimore must go. Gallimore is a FA, will DQ make a trade for Wright, even if a 6th or 7th round pick. I will take it.
Ball, I may give him another year, at least for some depth, unless they find a FA or draft a replacement. Sometimes it takes a while to get over those injury bugs.

Same for Goltson, give him another year, or draft a replacement, maybe DQ trades for him as well. I can move on from him.
Waletzgo, I would hang onto to him for another year as well, but same as Ball, draft or a FA can replace him.

Sam Williams. I keep him for sure, he has potential, so maybe Zimmer can teach some discipline as that may be more the reason he did stupid stuff.

Tolbert and Brooks need more time.

What about Damon Clark though, I thought he was on the verge to break out, then seems he did nothing. Was DQ using him wrong last year. I would like to see what Zimmer does with him as well.
Depends how many LB's they bring in to compete.

Mukaumo, I can move on from him as well. And Eric Scott, who seems to be slow, I never liked that trade. Trade him to DQ's team as well.

The reality of it though. You really can't dump all of these players. You still need core players. Between FA and the draft, and if any are trade, which I doubt. Can they find enough decent enough to replace them. Unless you are a fan of blowing up the team from that stand point.
Damone: POOR LATERAL AGILITY.

I'm not joking on this, that's why he was there for the picking in the 5th.

MikeT22

Reaction score
They had to know that Mazi would take time to develop. That was very obvious from watching his college game footage.
One would think, but the debate in the war room was between Mazi and Bergeron and McClay went to bat for Mazi saying he 'helps us now.' McCarthy liked both but eventually went with Mazi too.
They also took a call from the Chiefs offering a trade down to 31 and their 3rd rounder. Jerry was adamant he didn't want to risk losing one of these two guys and nixed it.

As it turned out Mazi is at least a first year bust, Bergeron has been solid on the Falcons OL and would've been available at 31 while we netted an additional 3rd. But welcome to Jerry World...we got our man, Mazi!