But We Haven’t Beaten Anyone With A Winning Record. Oh, Wait

CxC1993

Reaction score
They’ll move the goalposts, but it doesn’t matter. Just keep winning!

Cmac

Reaction score
Now once the after party is over......let's stay focused. More games remaining.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The narrative will be the Iggles will still win the East, so this win meant nothing
And the response to that should be, after comprehensive defeats vrs the two main NFC rivals, I doubt it'll matter whether they stumble to the no.1 seeding....indeed I wouldn't mind a Divisional game at Lincoln.....bring it on.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
We can't beat winning teams, on the road, in the playoffs, after 4pm, when the temperature is below 65F, and the wind is over 5mph
Adding lots of variables to cover everything.
All those are correct until proven otherwise

Kevinicus

Reaction score
yes they do. it's technically correct, the best kind of correct.
No it's not.
It would be very stupid to look at the record at the time of playing (unless you were currently at that time). This is especially stupid when talking about a week 2 opponent.
If a team wins week 1, and then proceeds to go 1-16 for the season, you would look like the biggest fool ever to try and claim the team that played them in weak two beat a team with a winning record. It's absolutely absurd.
The best idea we have of if a team has a winning record is what their record is at the end of the season. The second best idea we have is what their record is right this moment (and since we're not able to see the future, and we're not at the end of the season, this is the best method at this point in time).
Why would anyone with any brain cells try and look backwards to the smallest sample size, especially knowing that current data would refute it? Insanity or agenda driven nonsense.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
They were 10-2 :muttley:
I mean you are what your record says you are, right?

That coming from a HOF coach, Bill Parcells.

We smashed last year’s NFC East champ, NFC champion, Super Bowl runner-up, 10-2 Eagles.

Proof

Reaction score
No it's not.
It would be very stupid to look at the record at the time of playing (unless you were currently at that time). This is especially stupid when talking about a week 2 opponent.
If a team wins week 1, and then proceeds to go 1-16 for the season, you would look like the biggest fool ever to try and claim the team that played them in weak two beat a team with a winning record. It's absolutely absurd.
The best idea we have of if a team has a winning record is what their record is at the end of the season. The second best idea we have is what their record is right this moment (and since we're not able to see the future, and we're not at the end of the season, this is the best method at this point in time).
Why would anyone with any brain cells try and look backwards to the smallest sample size, especially knowing that current data would refute it? Insanity or agenda driven nonsense.
i'm aware. you're the one that said "factually correct" so we're dealing with facts, yeah? the seahawks had a winning record when we beat them as well, but the caveat is that after we beat them, they were no longer winning. can't be some sliding scale. jets had a winning record, we beat them. that's "factually correct" especially since we're not at the end of the season. it's semantics, it's silly, but all of the argument is, so i don't mind being silly along with it. especially since it's TECHNICALLY and FACTUALLY correct.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
i'm aware. you're the one that said "factually correct" so we're dealing with facts, yeah? the seahawks had a winning record when we beat them as well, but the caveat is that after we beat them, they were no longer winning. can't be some sliding scale. jets had a winning record, we beat them. that's "factually correct" especially since we're not at the end of the season. it's semantics, it's silly, but all of the argument is, so i don't mind being silly along with it. especially since it's TECHNICALLY and FACTUALLY correct.
But it IS a "sliding scale."
Team with a winning record is not a static stat until the season is over. It's in flux throughout the season.
The Jets are not a team with a winning record because AT ONE TIME with a tiny sample size they had a winning record. They're a 5-8 team. Factually, they are not a team with a winning record. The fact that they happened to start 1-0 doesn't change that (unless they win the last 4).

Technically, at week three, you can never say you've beaten a team with a winning record, as the best record they could have at that point is 1-1.

It's what the team is, not what they were at some random point in the season.
I'd agree it's a silly thing to look at, at least until late in the season, as it's something that's constantly in flux, and because of issues of teams near .500 and how the game with whichever team the argument is being made against turns out (lose to a 6-5 team, and you lost to team with a winning record, win, and they no longer have a winning record, so you can't claim a win against a winning team). And, I think their are other factors (health at various times, margins of victory, etc.) to consider.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was a silly argument to begin with. You can only play who's on your schedule, by Dallas winning it contributes to the opposing teams losing record, and is just insignificant.

Proof

Reaction score
But it IS a "sliding scale."
Team with a winning record is not a static stat until the season is over. It's in flux throughout the season.
The Jets are not a team with a winning record because AT ONE TIME with a tiny sample size they had a winning record. They're a 5-8 team. Factually, they are not a team with a winning record. The fact that they happened to start 1-0 doesn't change that (unless they win the last 4).

Technically, at week three, you can never say you've beaten a team with a winning record, as the best record they could have at that point is 1-1.

It's what the team is, not what they were at some random point in the season.
I'd agree it's a silly thing to look at, at least until late in the season, as it's something that's constantly in flux, and because of issues of teams near .500 and how the game with whichever team the argument is being made against turns out (lose to a 6-5 team, and you lost to team with a winning record, win, and they no longer have a winning record, so you can't claim a win against a winning team). And, I think their are other factors (health at various times, margins of victory, etc.) to consider.
yeah, I agree with all of that. except that the jets game wasn't a random point in the season, it was when we played them. I used sliding scale wrt changing the definition or criteria. Not by *you*, but in general. Ultimately none of it matters, and all of these sample sizes were small. we played (and lost) to 2 teams w/ winning records and somehow that was a major indictment. oh well. just win baby

Kevinicus

Reaction score
yeah, I agree with all of that. except that the jets game wasn't a random point in the season, it was when we played them. I used sliding scale wrt changing the definition or criteria. Not by *you*, but in general. Ultimately none of it matters, and all of these sample sizes were small. we played (and lost) to 2 teams w/ winning records and somehow that was a major indictment. oh well. just win baby
I mean that it's random when looking at the quality of a team (which is the entire point of the whole "team with a winning record" argument), and when team A plays team B is just a random point on the schedule, but the entire schedule is what determines if a team has a winning record. It's about looking at the quality of teams played, and to do that, you use the greatest sample size available.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I HATE when mods edit the actual title to my (this) thread. I know how to write. If I’d wanted the title of the thread to be what it currently is, I’d have written it that way.

Please don’t edit my content!!!