But We Haven’t Beaten Anyone With A Winning Record. Oh, Wait

CoachD

Reaction score
That was true two weeks ago. It was factually correct.
Oh really like when they beat Seattle who had a winning record before the game but didn't have a winning record after the Cowboys beat them you mean like that?

Hardline

Reaction score
Oh really like when they beat Seattle who had a winning record before the game but didn't have a winning record after the Cowboys beat them you mean like that?
Seattle wasn't 2 weeks ago. Settle down beavis

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Oh I have a hit list. Sherman, Keyshawn, Orlovsky, Canty, SAS, Shannon
KJ is a semi-hater. I like the guy. I guarantee he wouldn’t have acted like a freshman girl who just got invited to the high school senior prom like Sherman did during halftime of the Seahawks game.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Jets also had a winning record when the Cowboys beat them. The Cowboys are now 3 and 2 when they play a team with a winning record.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
But it IS a "sliding scale."
Team with a winning record is not a static stat until the season is over. It's in flux throughout the season.
The Jets are not a team with a winning record because AT ONE TIME with a tiny sample size they had a winning record. They're a 5-8 team. Factually, they are not a team with a winning record. The fact that they happened to start 1-0 doesn't change that (unless they win the last 4).

Technically, at week three, you can never say you've beaten a team with a winning record, as the best record they could have at that point is 1-1.

It's what the team is, not what they were at some random point in the season.
I'd agree it's a silly thing to look at, at least until late in the season, as it's something that's constantly in flux, and because of issues of teams near .500 and how the game with whichever team the argument is being made against turns out (lose to a 6-5 team, and you lost to team with a winning record, win, and they no longer have a winning record, so you can't claim a win against a winning team). And, I think their are other factors (health at various times, margins of victory, etc.) to consider.
Really, what’s stupid is trying to analyze how good a team is by how many wins they have over opponents with a winning record. This is the NFL, and every team has professional players. A team with a poor record still has the ability to play a very good game and win one game against any other team. Unlike baseball, each week is a one shot deal. EVERY WEEK OF EVERY SEASON a ‘bad’ team beats a ‘good’ team. The Seahawks game is a decent example. Geno spun it like an elite QB that day. If one were to look at just that game, they might think the Seahawks have a high octane offense that’s set to win 12+. They aren’t bad, but they aren’t great, either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nothing like a good beat down of the Eagles to start the week off right. Didn’t think Dak was super sharp, but that’s okay, we got it done in high fashion. The defense gave up 6 points. That’s a winning formula. Can’t wait to hear Richard Sherman flap his gums in the morning.

Go Cowboys!!!!
right now, this is the dumbest narrative or whatever you want to call it... In my opinion what was the record when you beat them that's it that's who they were and we beat many teams above 500 goin back to game 1.giants were 0-0 and others for sure Seattle 6-5 most ignorant thing is to say oh but they're not 500 now... anyone that puts stock in that is really dumb,. seriously...ughh

it's like when Miami beat Denver they suck now they don't now all of a sudden get credit for beating someone above 500?? nope not here

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Jets also had a winning record when the Cowboys beat them. The Cowboys are now 3 and 2 when they play a team with a winning record.
Yes it's the record they had when you played them not at the end of the year.. That's just a dumb narrative

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Really, what’s stupid is trying to analyze how good a team is by how many wins they have over opponents with a winning record. This is the NFL, and every team has professional players. A team with a poor record still has the ability to play a very good game and win one game against any other team. Unlike baseball, each week is a one shot deal. EVERY WEEK OF EVERY SEASON a ‘bad’ team beats a ‘good’ team. The Seahawks game is a decent example. Geno spun it like an elite QB that day. If one were to look at just that game, they might think the Seahawks have a high octane offense that’s set to win 12+. They aren’t bad, but they aren’t great, either.
Agreed, it's generally not a very good metric for quality analysis.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yes it's the record they had when you played them not at the end of the year.. That's just a dumb narrative
No....no no no. That makes zero sense.

You don't know how good a team is until you get a larget sample size.

It is statistically the exact opposite of what you'd want to do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nothing like a good beat down of the Eagles to start the week off right. Didn’t think Dak was super sharp, but that’s okay, we got it done in high fashion. The defense gave up 6 points. That’s a winning formula. Can’t wait to hear Richard Sherman flap his gums in the morning.

Go Cowboys!!!!
eagles don't count. they are a division rival. we played them at home, the whole world knows their defense was over rated and it wasn't that Dak beat them, it was that they made mistakes and Dak got lucky. they just had an off night.

;)

LovinItAll

Reaction score
eagles don't count. they are a division rival. we played them at home, the whole world knows their defense was over rated and it wasn't that Dak beat them, it was that they made mistakes and Dak got lucky. they just had an off night.

;)
Plus the dozen black cats I set loose in the visitor’s locker room. These trips to Dallas are getting expensive and it takes a lot of time to round up the feral cats. I hope everyone here appreciates my efforts and the rabies shots I had to get. I probably wouldn’t have gotten bitten, but I shaved a #1 on one of the cats. Guess he wasn’t a Hurts fan.

GMO415

Reaction score
Today's goal post "iggles were disappointing" leaving zero credit given to DAL

Also, DAL still can't beat SF which has nothing to do with last night's game.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Yes. It. Was.

The Jets do not have a winning record. That is a fact. They are not a winning team in 2023 (barring 4 more wins)
Ah, so it doesn't matter what a team's record was when we played them. Gotcha. Then we really can't evaluate this until the season ends as it may change weekly.

It actually NEVER matters what a team's record happens to be. Every week of every NFL season, a team with a bad record beats a team with a good record. It's a terrible metric by which to measure success and is irrelevant.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They did it one time but can they do it again? The gauntlet ahead will take its toll. Let's hope that the price isn't so high that we enter the playoffs unhealthy.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Ah, so it doesn't matter what a team's record was when we played them. Gotcha. Then we really can't evaluate this until the season ends as it may change weekly.

It actually NEVER matters what a team's record happens to be. Every week of every NFL season, a team with a bad record beats a team with a good record. It's a terrible metric by which to measure success and is irrelevant.
Mostly agree. The more games that are played, the better idea you can get on how good a team is.

But anything is possible on any given week.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not quite there yet. 2nd half O was disconcerting.
:huh:

They were running out the clock the entire second half. Had they kept the gas pedal smashed down Dak is right, they could have scored 50.

For the record, I would have been fine with that.

Rowdy1

Reaction score
Don't worry. They'll move the needle saying the Eagles have been in a slump, and it doesn't count.
So true we beat a 10-win team and that's still not good enough ha ha. Oh well just have to go win the whole dang thing then huh?