Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got a fever... and the prescription... is more Byron Bell

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

phildadon86

Reaction score
I cant believe people are mad about this. Its for depth, and lets also be honest here. We have one of the better OL coaches in the NFL. Lets see what happens before the rueing starts

LittleD

Reaction score
Let's be patient please. Broaddus has done a film review of Mr. Bell at the Star so you can look at that to
get a feeling about him. He's big, burly, somewhat heavy footed and clumsy. He can play RT much better
than LT and can would probably be a best fit at guard. He's a project who was hurt all of 2016 so he needs lots
of work. We have great OL coaches so with all the off-season work to come, let's see how he pans out in TC before
leaping off the ledge. He's most likely a backup and it looks as if Cleary will get the 1st shot to advance to
playing time if Green is hobbled again.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's be patient please. Broaddus has done a film review of Mr. Bell at the Star so you can look at that to
get a feeling about him. He's big, burly, somewhat heavy footed and clumsy. He can play RT much better
than LT and can would probably be a best fit at guard. He's a project who was hurt all of 2016 so he needs lots
of work. We have great OL coaches so with all the off-season work to come, let's see how he pans out in TC before
leaping off the ledge. He's most likely a backup and it looks as if Cleary will get the 1st shot to advance to

Sounds like a decent approach to me -- I'd also like to see Bell's first order of business to be losing about 20-25 lbs. (It just might help to correct his heavy-footed bugaboo or at least, lessen it.)

LittleD

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent approach to me -- I'd also like to see Bell's first order of business to be losing about 20-25 lbs. (It just might help to correct his heavy-footed bugaboo or at least, lessen it.)

Best guess is that they would like to get him in the 315-320 range and increase in strength. Broaddus thinks he's
plenty big enough but, not strong enough to move lineman in the run game. They will have him running and lifting
plenty during the off-season workouts I bet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here's link to Broaddus' write-up:

There's certainly experience and versatility there, even if he's not a star. And his opinion matches my own, nobody should assume that he's simply "Doug Free's replacement. At this point, he's a depth signing who has as much chance of playing left guard as he does anywhere else.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Seems like a decent, cheap option. We all know Green won't make it through a season.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
He's got $500K reasons to beat out Chaz:

Competition will make them both better, I hope.

waldoputty

Reaction score

there is no competition if Green is healthy.
but Green is never healthy.

this guy is what he is.
he has been the league too many years for any surprise to happen.
when green gets hurt, we have cleary and him.
lets hope cleary is for real
lets hope what cleary showed at LT was not due to help from TEs and scheme.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

He also has 450k in weight incentives

It looks like he got a 250k signing bonus and 1m base salary plus 300k in 46 man roster bonuses and 250k each for 60% and 75% of snaps.....and the weight clauses

All in it is up to 2.5m for the year with only the 250k signing bonus guaranteed and a cap hit of 1.25m since he didn't play last year

waldoputty

Reaction score
He also has 450k in weight incentives

It looks like he got a 250k signing bonus and 1m base salary plus 300k in 46 man roster bonuses and 250k each for 60% and 75% of snaps.....and the weight clauses

All in it is up to 2.5m for the year with only the 250k signing bonus guaranteed and a cap hit of 1.25m since he didn't play last year

so lets say green plays 4 games before IR, then he has to get at least 10 games out of 12 games to get 250k and 12 out of 12 games to get another 250k. that is not counting the 46 man bonus...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
so lets say green plays 4 games before IR, then he has to get at least 10 games out of 12 games to get 250k and 12 out of 12 games to get another 250k. that is not counting the 46 man bonus...
Right....10 full games as starter = 250k
2 more full games = another 250k
plus 20k per game on the 46 for a total of 300k
all NTLBE since he missed all of 2016

the details of the 450k in weight clauses weren't stated but I count them as NLTBE keeping his cap hit at 1.25m if he makes the team