Byron Jones is a building block we need

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Had Jerry paid the top 5 money that Bryon is getting I tend to have a feeling people would be hollering that he is another example of Jerry overpaying. I like Byron but he just does not come up with turnovers. in 5 season and 4 games this year he has a total on 2 ints, the last one back in 2017.

Why do you folks only focus on turnovers? Imagine having 3 corners on your team that cause QBs to have low QB ratings when being targeted....

It's complete nonsense. And I will repeat, Jones contract looks great for the Dolphins now after the market reset. DBs aren't breaking the bank.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Why do you folks only focus on turnovers? Imagine having 3 corners on your team that cause QBs to have low QB ratings when being targeted....

It's complete nonsense. And I will repeat, Jones contract looks great for the Dolphins now after the market reset. DBs aren't breaking the bank.
Do you know what byrons qb rating allowed when targeted was last year on this team? And his burn rate?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Absolutely , I have a ton of Gifs and film on all 22. They’re several plays in his history where he would purposefully run away or engage in a blocker to avoid the tackle.

There are several plays in any modern players history that you can say this about. I watched every game he played in Dallas. While I believe that almost all players in todays game are average to poor tacklers, I don't see him as worse then what we have or had.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Do you know what byrons qb rating allowed when targeted was last year on this team? And his burn rate?

We had this discussion last year and I provided player breakdowns of it. If I remember correctly, you shut up real quick and went back into your hole directly after.

LOL at all of you who celebrated his departure and thought our scrub corners would pick up the slack. Nice have mid-rounders and retreads on our defense and expecting it to be anything better than it is now. Glad we got ghost Cooper and another first round WR though, like those win Super Bowls for anyone. Take your seat.

Proof

Reaction score
Jerry felt compelled to resign Cooper because he spent a 1st round pick on him. He’s not worth 20 million per and he’s actually surplus to Lamb and Gallup, who are the better receivers.

We have to keep him through next year, but I’m sure he’ll be released before the 2022 season.

heartily disagree w/ every point you made.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We had this discussion last year and I provided player breakdowns of it. If I remember correctly, you shut up real quick and went back into your hole directly after.

LOL at all of you who celebrated his departure and thought our scrub corners would pick up the slack. Nice have mid-rounders and retreads on our defense and expecting it to be anything better than it is now. Glad we got ghost Cooper and another first round WR though, like those win Super Bowls for anyone. Take your seat.
Lol you proved nothing and still dont. But since you didnt answer my question ill answer it for you. He gave up a passer rating of 90.1 and had a 1.4 burn rate which ranked 40th. If byron were on this team we would be in the same spot

Asklesko

Reaction score
Jerry felt compelled to resign Cooper because he spent a 1st round pick on him. He’s not worth 20 million per and he’s actually surplus to Lamb and Gallup, who are the better receivers.

We have to keep him through next year, but I’m sure he’ll be released before the 2022 season.

But that is stupid. If you trade cooper, you get some return on your first, if not recoup all of it. Cooper is wholly redundent on this team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hasn't admitted it. But now its the defenses fault? Amazing that when it was Dak out there he wasnt a game changer. Now lets focus on the defense and move the goalposts again. This is the reason we get ridiculed as fans.

Yep……….it was always about Dak in losses, now the QB is no longer front and center and he is the 5th biggest problem. LOL

Just gets more and more hilarious every week.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I made the same mistake on Zeke. To be honest.

So I can’t lie.

I’m not foolish enough to not see Dak’s value though. So I got that going for me.

Nice to see people finally seeing the lack of value in Zeke finally. It had to take a bad Oline to do it, but at least there is that. RB's are just a complete waste to spend high draft capital and big time money. They can be found in rounds 2-5 in general. Just keep them rotating. Very few you pay big money. I would actually draft them, then trade them as their renewals become due. Spend the money on the line, which will make them all look better then they are and you will get a higher premium when you trade them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You guys accuse me of saying things I never said...

Here i'll make you a cheat sheet of things I have said...

1. I've always said Dalton will get Dak like results. (Does Dak win that game if it unfolds the same way? Probably not.. He's 1-3 this year and a Watermelon kick away from 0-4.. Maybe he makes the loss a little more pretty with his empty calories when we're down 4 scores.)

2. I've always said Dak > Dalton.

3. I've always said our defense is our #1 problem..

4. Jimmy Johnson said the Defense would be better with Dalton.. I agreed with him but what we didn't take into account was Zeke putting us in horrible positions. Ball control can help a defense and I thought that was what we would do.

5. I've always said Dak is a good solid QB. I just don't think we can win with him making 40 million and signing him to that locks us into mediocrity

Anything else you guys assume I have said that I never said?

Only Dalton didn't get Dak like results. He could only lead us to 10 points when Dak is leading us up and down the field to the tune of 37 per game.

Just because you fold up your tent and go back to team record doesn't change the fact.

You also said there was no big gap between the two. There is a huge one.

Like I have said...…………..You don't belong in any football conversation.

But yah, Im going to make a nice cheat sheet of wrongs for you coming up shortly.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

Gallup in no way is a better receiver than Cooper.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You guys accuse me of saying things I never said...

Here i'll make you a cheat sheet of things I have said...

1. I've always said Dalton will get Dak like results. (Does Dak win that game if it unfolds the same way? Probably not.. He's 1-3 this year and a Watermelon kick away from 0-4.. Maybe he makes the loss a little more pretty with his empty calories when we're down 4 scores.)

2. I've always said Dak > Dalton.

3. I've always said our defense is our #1 problem..

4. Jimmy Johnson said the Defense would be better with Dalton.. I agreed with him but what we didn't take into account was Zeke putting us in horrible positions. Ball control can help a defense and I thought that was what we would do.

5. I've always said Dak is a good solid QB. I just don't think we can win with him making 40 million and signing him to that locks us into mediocrity

Anything else you guys assume I have said that I never said?

There is so much comedy it took some time to write it all down. In ONLY half of one thread this was all the dumb things you said that now look utterly laughable. And most of these you said multiple times. Lets also keep in mind that you started a thread talking about how Jimmy Johnson basically echoed your exact thoughts on the subject:

-I agree with Jimmy that Dalton is a perfect fit for Dallas and shouldn't miss a beat (A statue like Dalton that crumbles under pressure is the worst guy for this team right now)

-"Dalton Efficiency" will make our offense better and IMPROVE THE DEFENSE (How did that defense and offense look last night genius?)

-Dalton is a more skilled passer than Dak (You don't belong in a football conversation)

-Dalton will come in and replace Dak no problem (Could you look any worse?)

-I think we will be a better football team with Dalton then we are with Dak (You don't belong in a football conversation)

-Let mediocre guys like Dak walk so we can give ourselves a chance at a SB (Yet today you freely admit that no QB can win anything with this defense)

-Dak isn't a difference maker (Dak broke the record for passing yards through the first 4 games and lead the Cowboys offense to 37 points per game)

-Dak cant overcome obstacles (Despite Zeke fumbles, bad Oline play, horrible coaching, and bad special teams we were in EVERY game with Dak and he still put up record numbers and lead us to 37 points per game)

-Others carry Dak (Who exactly is carrying Dak ? Dak has carried the entire team on his back

-Dak doenst carry others (Wilson, Lamb, Cooper, Shultz, Zeke, Oline, all looked better under Dak)

-Dak and Dalton are the same type of player, Dak is a little better but not much (You don't belong in any QB conversation)

-Dak is just along for the ride

-Nothing special about Dak where he isn't replaceable with a guy like Dalton (There are many, but this now is clearly the dumbest thing you said)

We all laughed in your face when you said it, and were really laughing now. You have ZERO credibility left if you ever had any. Dak absolutely blows away Dalton and its not even close.

-

Last edited:

BigTx66

Reaction score
Lol you proved nothing and still dont. But since you didnt answer my question ill answer it for you. He gave up a passer rating of 90.1 and had a 1.4 burn rate which ranked 40th. If byron were on this team we would be in the same spot

Absolutely agree with your comments! Jones was an NFL Combine freak which enamored many people to him, but the guy couldn't cover a top tightend if his life depended on it, and he struggled at covering wide receivers as well. If he was so great, then he should have been around the ball for interceptions, which he wasn't. Jones was a serviceable defensive back, but by no means, was he or is he a dominant game changer. He would have been just another overpaid, overhyped player on this team if he had been paid what he wanted.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely agree with your comments! Jones was an NFL Combine freak which enamored many people to him, but the guy couldn't cover a top tightend if his life depended on it, and he struggled at covering wide receivers as well. If he was so great, then he should have been around the ball for interceptions, which he wasn't. Jones was a serviceable defensive back, but by no means, was he or is he a dominant game changer. He would have been just another overpaid, overhyped player on this team if he had been paid what he wanted.
Yep.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
But that is stupid. If you trade cooper, you get some return on your first, if not recoup all of it. Cooper is wholly redundent on this team.
You don’t know that. Gallup nor CeeDee have shown any ability to be a #1. If Cooper gets hurt for a couple games, then you’ll get a real look. Gallup is best running fly routes. We haven’t seen that he is a #1. Lamb has played almost exclusively from the slot versus man or zone. And Yet we haven’t seen him run by anyone except that one blown coverages. Cooper is still drawing the most attention because he has the size, speed, strength, and route-running. I don’t think Gallup will ever be a true #1. If Cooper shows at some point that he is a #1, then fine, but it would be foolish to assume his work in the slot will automatically transfer.

I thought we were going to see much more of Cooper in the slot. If Dallas did that, we would learn a lot about both players.

jjktkk

Reaction score
All year i've seen busted coverages and big plays.

I know many of you didn't want to pay him because of the lack of turnovers but looking around the league corners who are elite like he was that lack turnovers still got paid by their team.

We chose guys like Lawrence, Cooper, Zeke, and Jaylon Smith over a guy that can match up against any WR in the league and play inside or outside at corner and slow them down.

We've taken a lot of L's this year but losing Byron Jones was a big one.

Watching Worley out there last night and the technique he used on the Kirk TD is just an embarrassment. How is he a pro?
I loved Jones and hated to see him go, but if you're going to be the highest paid cb in the league, you HAVE to be able to get interceptions.