Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter when they got their contracts the top paid corner Xavien Howard makes $15.1M. If Jones gets around $20M per with a lot of guaranteed money that will be breaking the bank. You call that extremely affordable?

Yes, it does matter when they got their contracts. What the hell are you on about? Some of those top corners got their contracts 5 year sago lol

Xavien Howard didn't hit the FA market - no one was bidding on him. He got an extension from the team that drafted him. lol

Proof

Reaction score
Paying Zeke early allowed us to prepare and will give us a quicker out with him. It’s a lot easier replacing a corner who doesn’t get takeaways than a playmaking receiver who put points on the board. We all saw what happened in 2018 with the receivers we signed in free agency prior to trading for Amari. It would be a pretty boneheaded move to pay Dak a franchise record breaking contract and take away his number one receiver who helped make him a very productive QB. It’s not easy finding an elite receiver who can make big plays especially along the sidelines that Amari can.

I agree for the most part, but Gallup has come into his own, Dak has improved drastically and this draft is bubbling with wr talent. I’d rather keep Amari, but I think the smarter move may be resigning Byron and drafting a WR (or two). I treat Byrons lack of ints the same way I do Amaris drops and road splits.
Disagree heavily on the Zeke contract front, so not worth discussing further

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Idk giving a guy credit for not being thrown at because the rest of the secondary was way worse doesnt make me feel better the fact is when he was thrown at passer rating was 87.7 and gave up over 10 yards a reception. With zero positive splash plays.

LOL this is hilarious. He'd be criticized if he was surrounded by talent, and he's criticized for holding his own when surrounded by scrubs.

The very site I just posted has him compared to Ramsey. You aren't finding a cheaper option that plays as good as those guys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, it does matter when they got their contracts. What the hell are you on about? Some of those top corners got their contracts 5 year sago lol

Xavien Howard didn't hit the FA market - no one was bidding on him. He got an extension from the team that drafted him. lol

You’re saying 20 million per is the going rate for corners when the leagues highest paid corner is making 15 million per season less. You called 20 million per season very affordable. We’re not even factoring in all the guaranteed money Jones will get.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Xavien Howard has 10 more ints in half as many starts while not getting torched. It's a no brainer between the 2

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You’re saying 20 million per is the going rate for corners when the leagues highest paid corner is making 15 million per season less. You called 20 million per season very affordable. We’re not even factoring in all the guaranteed money Jones will get.

For coveted corners? Yes. Trumaine Johnson is absolute garbage and got $14 million a year a couple years ago. Good luck making an argument that great and elite corners should make a couple million more than him.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LOL this is hilarious. He'd be criticized if he was surrounded by talent, and he's criticized for holding his own when surrounded by scrubs.

The very site I just posted has him compared to Ramsey. You aren't finding a cheaper option that plays as good as those guys.
But his numbers when thrown against aren't even close to elite. He's above average. They are throwing away from him because the rest of the secondary is bad. I mean chido, anthony brown, jeff heath, and x woods. o and jaylon in coverage or joe thomas, or an old behind sean lee. plus most of the time he isn't even covering the team's #1 wr. ppl didn't throw at deion or revis or sherm because they made them pay. ppl don't throw at byron because the other guys are just more open. the other offense i'm sure gameplans it that way as well

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree for the most part, but Gallup has come into his own, Dak has improved drastically and this draft is bubbling with wr talent. I’d rather keep Amari, but I think the smarter move may be resigning Byron and drafting a WR (or two). I treat Byrons lack of ints the same way I do Amaris drops and road splits.
Disagree heavily on the Zeke contract front, so not worth discussing further

Gallup showed against the Jets when he got an opportunity to be the guy that he’s not a number one receiver. He’s a solid number two receiver but he’s not a number one. He had his share of drops last season. The draft may have a lot of wide receiver talent but Amari is a proven commodity who we just gave up a number 1 for in 2018. He is a must sign.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For coveted corners? Yes. Trumaine Johnson is absolute garbage and got $14 million a year a couple years ago. Good luck making an argument that great and elite corners should make a couple million more than him.

You don't know what you're talking about.

A corner who’s only had 2 career INTs in 5 seasons isn’t worth 20 million per season with a lot of guaranteed money. Good luck making an argument that $20M per season is very affordable for a corner like Jones who lacks ball skills and doesn’t get takeaways

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

The grass is always greener.

I do not understand this assumption he is not worth signing.

Without him..we are back to square one.

Insane.

Why are we allowing our best players to take us to the wire..

while they just go to the bank?

Proof

Reaction score
Gallup showed against the Jets when he got an opportunity to be the guy that he’s not a number one receiver. He’s a solid number two receiver but he’s not a number one. He had his share of drops last season. The draft may have a lot of wide receiver talent but Amari is a proven commodity who we just gave up a number 1 for in 2018. He is a must sign.

that's as simplistic as saying the same about Amari in the Saints game, sans Gallup. (hint their numbers were practically identical) And Byron is a proven commodity as well. You're going to have some growing pains whichever you have to replace, for the price and options, Byron is probably more practical to keep. But seems like we're just diametrically opposed.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The grass is always greener.

I do not understand this assumption he is not worth signing.

Without him..we are back to square one.

Insane.

Why are we allowing our best players to take us to the wire..

while they just go to the bank?
Because you have seen byron's ceiling he will never be better than what he is right now. for supposedly 17-18 million a year? He will only get worse as he gets older when he inevitably loses some athleticism that he 100% relies on. Limited instincts and ball skills. This is for the better it may not seem like it now but you will see.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
if his asking price is around 16 as reported then I don't see him remaining in Dallas. I like Jones but he does not make the big plays you expect out of a CB for that price tag.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
But his numbers when thrown against aren't even close to elite. He's above average. They are throwing away from him because the rest of the secondary is bad. I mean chido, anthony brown, jeff heath, and x woods. o and jaylon in coverage or joe thomas, or an old behind sean lee. plus most of the time he isn't even covering the team's #1 wr. ppl didn't throw at deion or revis or sherm because they made them pay. ppl don't throw at byron because the other guys are just more open. the other offense i'm sure gameplans it that way as well

I guess I'll post it again

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/byron-jones/

#4 in coverage rating, catch rate is #4, passer rating is #13, receptions allowed #9, target rate #3, yards per attempt allowed #12, yards per target allowed #2

He's not perfect and he's not an overall elite player, he is elite in many areas though. he is a top 15 corner and will be paid like a top 15 corner because he has proven he is just that. Again, you are not replacing this production in FA. And the best corners will be off the board before we pick in the first round. It's not a very deep CB draft class.

This is creating another hole on defense when we have a chance to keep a great corner and getting a stud at safety in the draft. This is a step sideways.

817Gill

Reaction score
Guys, hes going to break the bank. Getting INTs isn't the only deciding factor. There is a perceived value for what Jones brings to the table. I can live with 0-3 INTs a year if he's getting paid CB #6-10 money. Not #1. He's not worth that.
Exactly. He’ll sign a 16-17M deal and I won’t bat an eye

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I guess I'll post it again

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/byron-jones/

#4 in coverage rating, catch rate is #4, passer rating is #13, receptions allowed #9, target rate #3, yards per attempt allowed #12, yards per target allowed #2

He's not perfect and he's not an overall elite player, he is elite in many areas though. he is a top 15 corner and will be paid like a top 15 corner because he has proven he is just that. Again, you are not replacing this production in FA. And the best corners will be off the board before we pick in the first round. It's not a very deep CB draft class.

This is creating another hole on defense when we have a chance to keep a great corner and getting a stud at safety in the draft. This is a step sideways.
What are the stats when thrown at?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that's as simplistic as saying the same about Amari in the Saints game, sans Gallup. (hint their numbers were practically identical) And Byron is a proven commodity as well. You're going to have some growing pains whichever you have to replace, for the price and options, Byron is probably more practical to keep. But seems like we're just diametrically opposed.

The bottom line is you can’t pay Dak and take away his number one target. Check his numbers before Amari and after they’re night and day. It’s not practical to pay a corner an excessive amount of money who doesn’t get takeaways and isn’t a playmaker.