Twitter: Byron Jones thanked the Cowboys for helping him become a better player

ultron

Reaction score
Watch him have 6 ints next year, lol but he wouldn't have here.
He honestly has the worst hands I've ever seen, I lived 10 miles from Oxnard (Cowboys training camp) and I have Byron's autograph and he was pretty cool, but he can't catch a football to save his life; however, he is a damn good corner and it sucks we'll lose him.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
who do you replace him with? He’s one of the top corners.

Awuzie and Lewis, but we'll obviously need more talent in the draft and or in free agency. Its a new defensive scheme in 2020, so perhaps that helps Awuzie and Lewis? We'll see....

Rayman70

Reaction score
WHERE'S ALL THE INT'S AND TURNOVERS? Is he a team leader? DOES he elevate his play in big moments? Is he worth more money ? ALL great questions. Not sure what your confused about. This is a results based business.

Rayman70

Reaction score
go sign Chris Harris from Denver, plug him in at a fraction of the cost of Byron Jones, and we improve on D, instantly. He can play corner and safety. What I like the most, he gets turnovers and covers well.

cowboyed

Reaction score
who takes a pay cut to work?

Jones is a darn good corner-back, despite not being a ball hawk. If he wants to get paid more elsewhere it is his prerogative. But you can't label this a pay cut. A pay cut would be reducing the existing compensation you have been
getting for services rendered. Jones would just not be getting the optimal pay increase he and his agent desire with the Cowboys that he possibly may secure with another team. And we are talking more millions stacked on the more millions the Cowboys would offer.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Everything you look for in a player......

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/
2:30 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Byron Jones in high demand
The market for Byron Jones is enormous, as the soon to be former Cowboys cornerback is in high demand. Without getting into team particulars I can tell you: 1) Jones is universally graded as the top free agent cornerback; 2) the contract he eventually signs will be larger than anything people presently project; and 3) the ultimate situation will come down to where Jones wants to play moving forward, as he will have several suitors offering huge contracts.

This sportswriter in all his raving of Jones failed to mention that Jones has ONLY 2 picks in FIVE years in the NFL. Now Jones may get a big contract but I think most teams will take the 2 picks in 5 years into consideration which very well could lower the contract offers. Jones has played just close enough to receivers to sometimes get the QB to look elsewhere or sometimes being able to get a hand or finger on the ball to stop a reception but has been very poor at knowing what the route is and where the ball is going and making moves to pick the ball off. Lee a LB at age 33 had more picks last season than Jones. In fact in the same last 5 seasons Lee has more picks than Jones.

I have no doubt that Jones will get a bigger offer than what the Cowboys would be able to offer, but if Jones is sincere about all the help the Cowboys gave him to be the corner he is today, then show it in deeds not just words.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's weird that more players, and their agents, don't figure out that being classy to the former employer looks good to potential future employers.

Nobody wants to be the next employer of a disgruntled employee.
And that goes for more than just football players.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Classy guy and good corner.

he was a great team guy...no he didn’t get into but still a great corner

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL this secondary is going to be garbage and I'm going to laugh at the know nothings here who wanted him gone.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm not too upset about losing Byron, he's a good player, but rather invest up front or have a corner that forces turnovers.

However, I think the Cowboys could have played these contract situations better locking up Amari and Dak earlier and then see what you could do with Byron for draft picks.

LOL yes, let's rid of a guy who locks down one part of the field and get a guy who gets burned a lot but gets flashy INTs every now and then.

We have that guy, it's Lewis and he struggled to beat out a scrub.

Flamma

Reaction score
who takes a pay cut to work?

NFL players, very rarely. But regular people do depending on the situation. I made between 66k-90k depending on how much it snowed. More realistically 75-80k a year. I downgraded myself to a job that pays a straight 55k. Why? Much better location. A much easier stress free job. And I don't like overtime but in my last position it was mandatory. So it does happen. I took a pay cut to work for the same people.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
LOL yes, let's rid of a guy who locks down one part of the field and get a guy who gets burned a lot but gets flashy INTs every now and then.

We have that guy, it's Lewis and he struggled to beat out a scrub.

Can't pay everyone. Jones is a good corner, I rather keep him but just don't see how we pay top end dollar for him. What would you do if you were GM and had some big FA decisions to be made?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Everything you look for in a player......

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/
2:30 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Byron Jones in high demand
The market for Byron Jones is enormous, as the soon to be former Cowboys cornerback is in high demand. Without getting into team particulars I can tell you: 1) Jones is universally graded as the top free agent cornerback; 2) the contract he eventually signs will be larger than anything people presently project; and 3) the ultimate situation will come down to where Jones wants to play moving forward, as he will have several suitors offering huge contracts.

Wow!! Graded out as the highest rated free agent corner. I was told on Cowboys Zone that he sucks, can’t cover, or force any turnovers. The man is quality on and off the field. Good luck Byron. Go get that cash.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Man I wish we would keep him. Wish we didn’t extend jaylon
What does Jaylon have to do with Byron? They are the same guy. Both disrespected on Cowboys Zone but highly respected by players and coaching staffs. Jaylon is such a bargain. Wait to this CBA is ratified. You won’t believe the contracts that will be given out to some of these free agents.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can't pay everyone. Jones is a good corner, I rather keep him but just don't see how we pay top end dollar for him. What would you do if you were GM and had some big FA decisions to be made?

I would let Cooper walk. You know, a player at a skill position with a draft that is one of the deepest classes for WRs in NFL history. A good GM would recognize this....

You aren't replacing top 20 CB talent in FA that will be far cheaper than Jones.