Twitter: Byron Jones thanked the Cowboys for helping him become a better player

ultron

Reaction score
Losing Byron Jones is a HUGE blow to the Cowboys, as of right now our top 2 CBs are Awuzie and Lewis. The argument against Jones is he can't catch and doesn't pick the ball off, but he's rarely targeted and he shut down just about everyone he covered.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL yes, let's rid of a guy who locks down one part of the field and get a guy who gets burned a lot but gets flashy INTs every now and then.

We have that guy, it's Lewis and he struggled to beat out a scrub.

That’s why this is a fan forum..

The problem is the Cowboys enable these stupid opinions with their dreams of building a 90s roster and having to have the triplets.

This forum will also cry and make excuses all year about the defense not being good enough.

CWR

Reaction score
Byron will be his next teams Brandon Carr. Nothing against either, and I like Byron a lot, but we all know how players are judged post $$$.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Awuzie and Lewis, but we'll obviously need more talent in the draft and or in free agency. Its a new defensive scheme in 2020, so perhaps that helps Awuzie and Lewis? We'll see....

Anthony Brown will come back on a cheap or prove it deal as well. Before last year we almost universally agreed our young secondary was chalked full of talent. One year later and BJ was our only player.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The fact that Byron Jones was inclined to make that statement pretty much tells the tale that he's aware he's on the verge of saying goodbye. That was, in effect, a polite way to bid the team a kindly adieu, in advance of it actually happening. It's an amicable way to set up a graceful parting of the ways.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Anthony Brown will come back on a cheap or prove it deal as well. Before last year we almost universally agreed our young secondary was chalked full of talent. One year later and BJ was our only player.

Yep, hopefully a new scheme gets us back on track. Anthony Brown is a decent player, I would welcome him back especially considering Awuzie and Lewis are free agents next year. Definitely need some corners in the draft this year regardless.

Reactions: CWR

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Guy never had been a ballhawk.

He was miss cast at the start and poorly coached.

He was Richards only success while here.

Legion of Kaboom for us.

All hype no delivery..even wanted to HC here but no.

We avoided a real mess if he had become HC.
I actually hoped he took a hc gig after 2018. But ppl really dont understand we drafted a combine warrior and not a football.player in byron. I mean hes the guy who let jared cook and aaron rodgers send us home.in 2016

johneric8

Reaction score
who do you replace him with? He’s one of the top corners.
Your comment is understandable, especially with the fact that you have been a fan of a team that is scared to draft young players when older players need to move on, but you have to embrace the Cowboys new way of doing things. In this new era with Big Mike running the show you can expect for us to draft young players to take the place of aging veterans who demand too much money. You also need to consider that Jourdan Lewis and even Brown could make some big leaps the next year or two. Awuzi can be very good as well! I agree that Byron is a stud, but we can't be afraid to move on and draft new players whom are talented to gel within Big Mike's system.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ain't that so true.

Just like the OL.

Zeke runs wild one year and the OL can walk on water.

Next year, injuries reduce it to an after thought.

The next year, who knows.

I give up.

I have come to the conclusion we are as good as the media allows us to be.

There..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Losing Byron Jones is a HUGE blow to the Cowboys, as of right now our top 2 CBs are Awuzie and Lewis. The argument against Jones is he can't catch and doesn't pick the ball off, but he's rarely targeted and he shut down just about everyone he covered.
I think we all understand about Jones.

The worst part for us is he didn't play well from the beginning and we only got 2 good years out of him.

Had we gotten more production they would have valued him much more.

We just have too many good players which we can't all resign.

And really that's good.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it's that most fans don't value him, I think most realize we can't afford to keep him in the upcoming FA frenzy.

Praxit

Reaction score
..meh, no biggie. I always thought Byron avg at best. When the game went on the line, I was petrified when the ball went to his direction. It was either going to be caught or PI.

Qcard

Reaction score
Everything you look for in a player......

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/
2:30 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Byron Jones in high demand
The market for Byron Jones is enormous, as the soon to be former Cowboys cornerback is in high demand. Without getting into team particulars I can tell you: 1) Jones is universally graded as the top free agent cornerback; 2) the contract he eventually signs will be larger than anything people presently project; and 3) the ultimate situation will come down to where Jones wants to play moving forward, as he will have several suitors offering huge contracts.

Jerry is being a lazy GM. Get it done with Dak, Amari, Quinn and Jones. It can be done Jerry is playing scared...we have the coaching staff!!

Sign Dak, Cooper and Quinn...tag Jones!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Would have been better idea to pay Jones and let our pegleg linebacker hobble around for some other team.

cern

Reaction score
Jerry is being a lazy GM. Get it done with Dak, Amari, Quinn and Jones. It can be done Jerry is playing scared...we have the coaching staff!!

Sign Dak, Cooper and Quinn...tag Jones!
We're not playing with monopoly money. Real federal reserve notes.

cern

Reaction score
Would have been better idea to pay Jones and let our pegleg linebacker hobble around for some other team.
In fairness to jaylon, he didn't have lve most games or damien Wilson on passing downs. Add to that an average d-line. Smith can't do it all.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I would let Cooper walk. You know, a player at a skill position with a draft that is one of the deepest classes for WRs in NFL history. A good GM would recognize this....

You aren't replacing top 20 CB talent in FA that will be far cheaper than Jones.
@mattjames2010 the issue I have with Jones is that I can't justify paying him for half a job. He doesn't give you the great coverage and turnovers. Super bowl winning teams create turnovers. I can't pay him around the Talib,Revis,Sherman, etc type deal. It's like Stephen cheaping out on Earl Thomas. He gives you the AND. If keeping Byron means letting Cooper go I let him walk. I would keep Byron and bring in someone with ball skills. I don't want him gone but I understand him leaving.

With how little turnovers this defense created we were lucky to be 8-8. They're not just flashy stat. It matters.