Twitter: Byron Jones thanked the Cowboys for helping him become a better player

mattjames2010

Reaction score
@mattjames2010 the issue I have with Jones is that I can't justify paying him for half a job. He doesn't give you the great coverage and turnovers. Super bowl winning teams create turnovers. I can't pay him around the Talib,Revis,Sherman, etc type deal. It's like Stephen cheaping out on Earl Thomas. He gives you the AND. If keeping Byron means letting Cooper go I let him walk. I would keep Byron and bring in someone with ball skills. I don't want him gone but I understand him leaving.

With how little turnovers this defense created we were lucky to be 8-8. They're not just flashy stat. It matters.

He's not doing just half the job, he's not getting targeted often. The fewer times targeted, the less likely you'll have a chance at getting an INT. I don't want a Marcus Peters who gets burned every other play but gets a turnover....

Also, turnovers often happen due to teams taking leads, not playing from behind. Take a look at teams that led in turnovers.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/team-stats?season=2019&week=100&category=TURNOVERS&opp=0&page=1

There is a reason Jones will get good money on the open market - teams understand the value of a player shutting down his part of the field.

Johnny23

Reaction score
He's not doing just half the job, he's not getting targeted often. The fewer times targeted, the less likely you'll have a chance at getting an INT. I don't want a Marcus Peters who gets burned every other play but gets a turnover....

Also, turnovers often happen due to teams taking leads, not playing from behind. Take a look at teams that led in turnovers.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/team-stats?season=2019&week=100&category=TURNOVERS&opp=0&page=1

There is a reason Jones will get good money on the open market - teams understand the value of a player shutting down his part of the field.
Point taken. Teams press. There's value in taking away half the field. We're not getting the production from everyone else. Chido and Lewis aren't it.