Byron Jones the worst in the modern era

quickccc

Reaction score
Since these stats started in 1970 for corners that played at least 70 games, Jones only has two interceptions. Two folks! Next on the list has 5 in that span. He hasn’t had an int in two years as well. Mind boggling.

Dunno if i'm placing him among CBs listing, as he has only played starting full time CB in the last 2 years.
No, he's definitely not a ball hawk at all and will never get INTs (unless it's a tipped deflection that really makes it easier for him), but at the very least he's shown solid man coverage skills that even enabled him to make his first pro bowl at CB a couple of years ago.

Some team (like Philly?) will make him a sizeable offer that could be among top paid CBs. But i'm not one for overpaying huge contract for just a solid coverage and a career non-playmaker
that will never turn the field position for me vs batting down the ball .

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t see why any QB in football would even be afraid of him. Not one.
Not being able to complete a pass against him ....
It's clear by how they stayed away from him that the rest of the league respected him. When they let him line up in man coverage, he is on his guy like glue.
Hating the lack of turnovers is fine but at least give credit for what he does well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Byron hasn’t been awful, he just isn’t worth a huge contract. Top corners intercept the ball. You don’t want Dak at 35 million, but you want Jones at 15-18 million and he doesn’t create TO’s?
true this is the issue with ALL our FAS, they are very overrated by fans letting emotion get in the way of their argumaneys..

Dak, Amari and BJ are all very good players top 10 in their fields but not top 5 thats huge difference in pay scales and its insane for them demanding top 3-5 deals...they are NOT worth that,, thats how you get in cap heck!

BJ is Brandon Carr 2.0 and we got rid of him for the same reasons.. he was overpaid and made no splash plays..

all these players being retained or let go will come down to COST...some will be tagged and its the relaity of pro sports we will lose some and move on..

Mock drafts have us picking two CBS early before DT and S ..thats odd really, I saw one where no S was taken in the first round but first 5 of 10 2nd round picks theres a run on safetys..we do need a ton of help on defense in Draft and FA so this will be interesting to see what happens with BJ..

Aven8

Reaction score
I need to see times targeted.

I think if there was a cornerback draft right now and all things were equal that Ramsey would be the #1 corner taken and he's getting like 2 or 3 picks a year.

No one goes after Gilmore.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Dak... I just don't like paying him like he is one of the best players in football.

If I went to the store and bought something I wouldn't want to pay a 100 dollars for the 10th best item when the best item costs 90..
You would if it was the best one left and you really needed it. Supply and demand. I'd rather have Mahomes, but sadly he is not available.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The title is misleading. But I guess if all you factor in is INTs it makes sense.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Top corners intercept the ball.
interceptions are also largely irrelevant to how well a guy is playing. Most interceptions aren't because the guy intercepting made a great play but rather was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Balls deflected, tipped, off target, desperation throws, etc.. Probably only 1 in 5 is because the defender really caused the interception.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I get that the number is low but how often is the guy he is covering targeted compared to the rest of the league?

BTW, we had him playing safety for a couple of years.

Either one of those teams in the Superbowl would love to have Byron Jones. Losing Byron is not a good thing.

We don't tend to appreciate what our players do well, just focus on what they haven't done well in order to tear them down.

Aven8

Reaction score
The stats are all inclusive of any DB, Safety or Corner int that span.

I actually like Byron Jones a lot. But this team needs TO’s. Bad.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You would if it was the best one left and you really needed it. Supply and demand. I'd rather have Mahomes, but sadly he is not available.

There is supply though.. A lot of mediocre QBs and even potentially elites available.