Byron Jones the worst in the modern era

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Since these stats started in 1970 for corners that played at least 70 games, Jones only has two interceptions. Two folks! Next on the list has 5 in that span. He hasn’t had an int in two years as well. Mind boggling.

He is a great athlete which allows him to play CB but he is not a natural football player. Ball skills are hard for him.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since these stats started in 1970 for corners that played at least 70 games, Jones only has two interceptions. Two folks! Next on the list has 5 in that span. He hasn’t had an int in two years as well. Mind boggling.

Worse yet, one was a half time hail Mary and the other was a deflected pass by Sean Lee...brutal!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jeff Heath is our playmaker in the secondary and this forum hates him lol.

LOL, 8 ints in 7 years and that's our "playmaker" ! He's a special teamer being forced to start on a team that does not value the position for some unknown reason..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We absolutely know that defensive scheme is a huge reason why INT totals are low. No CBs get picks when they a) play press-man or b) are in a scheme where the opposing QB knows where everyone is going to be.

This has been going on for so long too. Before Byron.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LOL, 8 ints in 7 years and that's our "playmaker" ! He's a special teamer being forced to start on a team that does not value the position for some unknown reason..
They don't value it b/c it's not a valuable position.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Jeff Heath is our playmaker in the secondary and this forum hates him lol.
and that is why this defense is hot garbage, sad state of affairs when he is remotely considered a playmaker

Aven8

Reaction score
This has been going on for so long too. Before Byron.

In 2014 we went 12-4 and had HFA. We had 31 TO’s which was 2nd best in the league. Marinelli was our coach. Marinelli also led the league in his time at Chicago. I don’t understand what happened. I can only blame the players.

817Gill

Reaction score
I can only imagine how much more effective Jones would be in a different scheme.

The Cowboys defense (since Jones was drafted) is designed to not give up the big play. The CBs have also not received a lot of help from the safety position in some time.

I understand Jones and his lack of turnovers is low on the priority list, but I would love to see him under a different scheme (other than the Kiffin/Marinelli's) and see how he performs. He may not get the chance. Oh well, we'll see.
Dude this is literally his most effective scheme lol. He’s a bump and run corner who excels in press man coverage. All we ask him to do is be physical and run with a guy, BJ is a great athlete so he can do that in his sleep.

His football instincts are below average and he’s an athlete playing ball more than a ball player. His two picks as a safety came on a Hail Mary and a soft lob tip at the end of the skins game a few years back. He also has really bad hands lol J. Lew was clowning him during a media segment the guys drops everything on the juggs lol.

He’s a good #1 and great #2, and you’re seeing his full potential these last few years. What we had these last few years ain’t worth 16M

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And none of us know is it the result of the defensive scheme, coaching or him not aggressive enough to get an int. He is still rated by the NFL as a top five cornerback so pretty obvious that we fans do not know everything. Dallas would be smart to sign Dak and Amari before March 10th and franchise Jones then if some team is willing to part with 2 1st round pick, you take it.

That's not "smart" at all. It's fan fiction.

aria

Reaction score
I don’t care what they get paid, I’m a fan. But if it cost me Amari or a stud DT/Safety FA no thanks. I want to win and getting TO’s helps that.
Out of curiosity, did you support the Zeke contract?

Sydla

Reaction score

And yet he still was a Top 12 CB over the last two years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wait, you are a member of the Jeff Heath club?

I think he is a solid safety that doesn’t have a significant outcome on games in a positive or negative way.

We should always look to replace him but if we don’t then it’s no big deal either.

That’s my stance on Heath.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's all Marinelli. That bend but don't break crap.
No, it's Jason Garrett.
2009 - 11 (Wade)
2010 - 20 (Wade)
2011 - 15 (Rob Ryan)
2012 - 7 (Rob Ryan)
2013 - 15 (Monte)
2014 - 18 (Rod)
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 10
2018 - 9
2019 - 7

From 2011-2014, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter combined for 14 INTs. INTs from DBs have been completely foreign under Garrett, over the course of 3 different coordinators. He is terrified of giving up a big play from the offense, so he sacrifices the big play for the defense. As more and more of JG's guys have come in the, the number has consistently dropped.

This list is also illustrative of how much variance of in turnovers there is from year-to-year. They could roll out the same group and scheme next year and double their INT total.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course I wanted our best player signed. He’s what makes this whole thing go.

For the last 2 years Amari is what makes this whole thing go.

Zeke is underachieving for the type of talent he is and producing mostly because of volume and almost any RB can hit his numbers with that much volume.

15 mill a year and almost no explosive plays this season is not good.

Aven8

Reaction score
No, it's Jason Garrett.
2009 - 11 (Wade)
2010 - 20 (Wade)
2011 - 15 (Rob Ryan)
2012 - 7 (Rob Ryan)
2013 - 15 (Monte)
2014 - 18 (Rod)
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 10
2018 - 9
2019 - 7

From 2011-2014, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter combined for 14 INTs. INTs from DBs have been completely foreign under Garrett, over the course of 3 different coordinators. He is terrified of giving up a big play from the offense, so he sacrifices the big play for the defense. As more and more of JG's guys have come in the, the number has consistently dropped.

This list is also illustrative of how much variance of in turnovers there is from year-to-year. They could roll out the same group and scheme next year and double their INT total.

I stated a few post back in 2014 we were 2nd in the league with 31 TO’s. Marinelli has always preached TO’s. Urlacher and Tillman were TO machines and Chicago always lead the league. Something happened after that and your guess has to be right.